Phantom GB - Revell Phantom FGR.2 in 1/48 (hopefully!)

A forum for UKAR Group Builds
iaint
UKAR Staff

Phantom GB - Revell Phantom FGR.2 in 1/48 (hopefully!)

Post by iaint »

Well, I have decided to say sod it and see how I get on in this GB... Taking a plunge with my first one, and am following the instructions for Revell's 1:48 (my favourite scale and larger) offering of the Phantom FGR.2. I must say I've never taken part in a GB so what I am expected to share/tell I don't really know! lol
The build will be completely OOB, no addition of any extras, will that be a good/bad idea? Judging by the kit seats maybe not, bare is an understatement, and as for the pilots, they appear to have US-style helmets (I think?).
No pictures so far, but I have started on the seats and construction is slow - we shall see if other little distractions (namely 1y/o twins) prevent me from finishing in the timeframe...

Please don't expect too much from me, I don't fill or sand, no priming etc, just a straight forward build as per instruction sheets and some ref photos online and as long as it looks half decent (to me) and is as accurate as I can achieve, I'm happy.. :grin:
I shall try to get some photos when I have a bit more done than seats painted and in a state of assembly...

Tips and hints on how to improve are always welcome, but please to a beginner level (think I've just about mastered glueing and painting).

Back to the kit, and I am tending towards, 56Sqn from the 90's as I would have actually seen them in that scheme... I am always naff in deciding on the option to finish in, and could have pssibly gone for the camo option of 2Sqn from the 70's (I like a bit of green/grey and many decals)

Iain
http://www.flickr.com/photos/iainthomson84/

End of Message, End of Broadcast

ArabJazzie

Re: Phantom GB - Revell Phantom FGR.2 in 1/48 (hopefully!)

Post by ArabJazzie »

Welcome aboard and glad to have someone at my level!
Arabest,
Geoff.
52 in a year! We must be certifiable!

iaint
UKAR Staff

Re: Phantom GB - Revell Phantom FGR.2 in 1/48 WIP

Post by iaint »

Well, I managed to start the model, and am working (slowly) through the build... So far no huge problems, but then I have only built the office...

Only problem I have is on a dryfit of the seats and pilots. The fit is a rather tight for the pilots legs, and I seem to be breakng the dash out even after they're glued in... Shall have to try fitting them from different angles to see which works best/easiest...

A couple of pics to show current progress, everything painted by hairystick, and non-hairy stick (bamboo skewer tip) for the little white/red/yellow dash details. I have just gone for a representative detail attempt, not followed real pics for precise accuracy.

Comments, hints etc welcomed

I've only just realise that the third of the options available is for the 92Sqn blue aircraft, so now final finish is up in the air again...

iaint
UKAR Staff

Post by iaint »

Bit of an update (if there is interest) as I have picked the kit up again recently... No pics at the moment, mainly because I haven't gotten around to take any... :grin:
Progress is slow, but with 2months remaining, I think there is still time for me to complete it (I hope!).

Progress to date now has been finish and install the cockpit, the crew reside snugly within for the first time in a very long time. Fuselage halves are together and the tip of the fin is on. I have constructed the intakes, but they are yet to be stuck to the fuselage.

Had a bit of an issue with the dash and the tight squeeze from the pilots and their legs, but all seems well now. Almost had a disaster when one of the kids pulled at the newspaper (my worksurface), and an early test flight was performed, the kit falling from the table and bouncing, but only damage was one crew member becoming loose and the AoA pin was flattened and irrecoverable :sad: (Not hugely noticable)

From the dry fitting of the lower wing/fuselage belly/intakes, it appears that there maybe a bit of a gap at the rear of the bottom of the intakes.... A picture would probably be perfect to describe what I'm trying to say there.... :facepalm:

Anyway, I will try to get some more done soon and add images at some point...

Iain

SvB

Post by SvB »

Looking good Iain, nice work on that cockpit :clap:

Sven

iaint
UKAR Staff

Post by iaint »

3 pics to show update and where I am currently at with this...

These probably go with my last post... Only 20days after original submission of the post!...
Aircraft is certainly taking shape now, with the wings attached, exhausts constructed but not fitted, majority of intakes fitted and the odd extra piece installed, but they haven't been put on in the order of the instructions give... :whistle:

A little bit of heavy handedness has dislodged the rear seat and both pilots are headless, best leave them out so I don't do further/repeated damage to them... :oops:

Here you can definitely see bit of a canyon at the join between the intake and wings, surely shouldn't be there?

I think I may have decided on a scheme for it... The 56 scheme won out for this one...

Other progress not visible here consists mainly of the undercarriage, it has been painted and in need of construction...

I don't want to jinx my progress, but I think I may actually finish within the timescale... If I didn't have the distractions, then I'd probably have this much nearer completion now...

Iain

ArabJazzie

Post by ArabJazzie »

Any more progress Ian,
So close to finished and only 2 weeks left.
Arabest,
Geoff.
52 in a year! We must be certifiable!

iaint
UKAR Staff

Post by iaint »

Nothing significant :facepalm: , but I shall see if I can't get some time in the holidays, I break up from work on Tuesday... I'll kick myself for not spending enough time with it if(when) it's not finished in time...

Iain

iaint
UKAR Staff

Re: Phantom GB - Revell Phantom FGR.2 in 1/48 (FAILED!)

Post by iaint »

Well I am going to have to concede defeat... :sad: I will not get this finished in time, but will try to post an image to show where I currently am at later on... I will try and complete it in some decent timeframe, posting the results when they are ready...

Iain

mattlaker

Post by mattlaker »

Don't give up on this- watching with interest!
Matt hates Photo Etch as of today