Next 2 GBs, Who is hosting!

A forum for UKAR Group Builds
scotthldr

Re: Next 2 GBs, Who is hosting!

Post by scotthldr »

There's no point in having a section filled with meaningless threads that contribute nothing and only suffocate the meaningful ones. Another suggestion would be to archive the meaningful build threads on a yearly basis, then put a link to these threads in the relevant gallery thread.

The problem with the older threads as well is that a lot of the photographs within them are deleted as people clean up their hosting sites from time to time, and a build thread that relates to photos is no use if the photos aren't there.

Anyway it's only my suggestions for cleaning the sections up, do you have any of your own Derek or anyone else?

ianf

Post by ianf »

With only 5 pages of builds in this section removing build threads is going a bit far in my opinion. and difficult to do. I mean who decides a thread is meaningless and contributes nothing? I'm also a bit miffed the Mosquito completed build gallery has been removed 9 days after the deadline. Because if folk had noticed, in the who's doing what thread, because of injury and other things the final 3 builds were allowed to continue after consultation with all 3 folk. Thats was down to common sense, like scott said some kits of the larger scale deserve more time and this is what had happened.

Generally this has been a hit and miss section with good intentions at the beggining but now only a hand full remain, if there is a fault then its at the beggining folk who wanted this section should have continued to support it. A rough look suggests approx 12-15 people have joined in the Gb and out of that only 5-6 regularly contribute.

It isn't about cleaning up the threads, with the exception of the announcement thread being moved there simply isn't enough interest to warrent thread removals. Also if the suggestion was taken up no WIP threads would be worth the effort and therefore you get a finished build gallery which helps no one.

I think we go down to one GB at a time extend the build time to 4 months and allow extra time for certain builds if everyone on the GB agree and the build was started within the 1st month of the GB. People should not be afraid to ask for help either, on the GB I've hosted to help folk without wishing to critise publically I've encourage folk to talk via PM and I think it's helped several builders. Ideally that should be in the thread, but if we can remove this elite builders/part time builders mentality and make the Gb about enjoyment it will be a plus.

The last point is a question is there enough interest to continue the GB? If so those saying yes should say so with the knowledge they have to contribute, even if it's only observing and encouraging. I know in the photo section the mods want more than a nice shot comment but in this section that should be encouraged not discouraged.

Thats my opinion anyway.
Victor XL231 Lusty Lindy, crew chief.
Our face book page. https://www.facebook.com/LustyLindy231/?ref=bookmarks

ArabJazzie

Post by ArabJazzie »

I find it a bit strange that Fumbles quite recently modified things a wee bit and all seemed to be well! I also find it strange that it seems that none of the regular GB contributors were asked their opinion of any changes like everyone had been when Fumbles changed things.

I would hate to think that this section is being changed to the detriment of the people who have supported it throughout!!!
Arabest,
Geoff.
52 in a year! We must be certifiable!

Mr Flibble
UKAR Staff

Post by Mr Flibble »

All that has happened so far is the GBs that have finished have had their gallery threads moved over to the archive. I have no intention of deleting anything as I think it's useful to be able to look back at others builds.

Prersonally, I was finding hard to tell which GBs were active an which weren't partly because I haven't taken part for a little bit and partly because I couldn't see any clear dates in a pinned thread title for each.

I won't spend any more time on this now. People ask for tidying up, ask when it'll happen and then other people complain when the smallest of changes is made.

ianf

Post by ianf »

Mr Flibble no one is getting at you, I was supprised that we needed a second tidy up so soon. I've looked again at the threads and I was pleasantly supprised to see that there have been 36 people have had a go at the GB. However of that total 22 have only had one or 2 goes, and I was right in that 6 persons have contributed the most (with one contributing way more than anyone else!)
Of the rest some contributed at the beggining and faded away and some are recent joiners so may contribute more. It's right we disscuss the builds future and if there is one, what new topics we choose. I enjoy building in a group as all the ones I've joined we have had good banter and sharing of information which must be a positive. I think the announcement of the rules thread could possibly be added slightly earlier and those interested in the Gb sort out what rules, they want to abide by. including extending the build (if we do go to one GB per time this overlap won't cause as much trouble)
Mr Flibbles point on which GB is active is a fair point and should be easy to sort. The person moderating the thread would have to put active in the title and edit to show closed when the Gb is finished.
Victor XL231 Lusty Lindy, crew chief.
Our face book page. https://www.facebook.com/LustyLindy231/?ref=bookmarks

scotthldr

Post by scotthldr »

Geez, I was only making suggestions to try and help tidy up the section and help make individual threads/topics easier to see and navigate, which in turn may encourage more people to take part. I for one have found the GB section very hard to navigate for the last year now, there is no beginning or end to the individual GB's with them all merging into one another.

As for my suggestion of binning build threads that wasn't what I was on about, the threads needing binned are ones like these with no disrespect to A40-BP viewtopic.php?f=44&t=37859 there are several dozen more like it. What is the point in keeping these threads active.

I'm trying to help kick start the GB's after the current ones finish and the only way to do this is rehash the section as it is quite easy to see that the current format isn't working for the small amount of modellers on here. I think most of the people within the section are aware of the dwindling numbers so I've made some suggestions which everyone can do, some people have taken note and some just moan so I'll leave it there.

DerekF

Post by DerekF »

There have suggestions as to what to do with the GBs. Less of them and a longer timescale. That's all. I also don't see a problem with the threads. The only thing that would be a benefit would be a diary or sticky with GB titles and dates. If there were fewer they might get their own sub-section if navigation is proving difficult.
That isn't going to solve the general problem with the modelling section anyway.

scotthldr

Post by scotthldr »

What is the general problem then and do you have any suggestions on how to fix it.

DerekF

Post by DerekF »

1. Apathy and cliques.
2. No I don't.

scotthldr

Post by scotthldr »

Cliques, where are there any cliques within the modelling section cause I for one can't see any :dunno:

Apathy you'll get that anywhere not just here, what interests me may not interest you and vice versa and I'm not going to comment on something I have very little knowledge about. You build alot of Spitfires I don't, you know alot about Spitfires I don't so I'm not going to tell what you're doing is wrong or right down to the fact that I don't know if it is wrong or right. If people want others to take interest in what they're doing then it's up to each individual to make their threads more appealing, try different things, different methods add aftermarket parts, unusual colourschemes, think quality rather than quantity. It's all very well saying this and that is the problem but it would be a big help if people could also put over suggestions on how to improve the section, think positive rather than negative. We have a small amount of regulars but overall a good sized membership on here and I think it's time to bring the section forward a bit rather than lie stagnant.

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Post by LN Strike Eagle »

Whilst the Group Build idea is a nice one, it's probably been done to death - there's been at least one running at any given time since the idea was first suggested, and I don't think there's really enough people joining in to sustain that. It's a small corner of this forum, rather than our bread and butter like the airshow and photography forums.

I would suggest one GB that runs throughout each winter (Oct - Feb/March) might be a better system that gets people modelling during the off-season, and the longer timescale may allow people to tackle a bigger project. We might be able to arrange a model kit as a prize for each GB if they were reduced to one or two a year.
"You really are an oafish philistine at times!"

scotthldr

Post by scotthldr »

I think having just the one a year is too little, although I totally agree with the "done to death" statement.

I still say have an open calendar for them, with whoever wants to run one can at any time. Obviously it wouldn't do much good for a dozen people all to decide they want to start their own GB next week for a 1 month timescale, so a bit of planning and common sense would have to be applied and some common rules for them ie: at least 6 people must join in before it can be deemed a GB.

Anyway I've given some ideas, but as I always say it's up to the members to decide then ultimately the UKAR staff.