Nose Art GB - P-47D Double

A forum for UKAR Group Builds
ArabJazzie

Nose Art GB - P-47D Double

Post by ArabJazzie »

Hi all,
Here we go to kick off my contribution to the Nose Art GB. This is a GB that i wasnt going to contribute to as i didnt have anything that fitted the bill. The Dundee Model Railway Show strangely enough had a stall with 2nd hand kits and this jumped into my hand. So here are the box n sprue shots for Hasegawa Nose Art Collection boxing to build 2 1/72nd P-47Ds, one Razorback and one Bubbletop.

2 main sprue each and different for the fuselage/canopy.
One i made earlier.

If things go right at the Scottish Nats, i might be using Alclads for the shiny one and weathering for the Drab machine.
Arabest,
Geoff.
52 in a year! We must be certifiable!

Deacon
UKAR Supporter

Re: Nose Art GB - P-47D Double

Post by Deacon »

Great choice mate.

Looking forward to next update.

Alan

ArabJazzie

Post by ArabJazzie »

Hello again chaps,
Had a go at reducing the parts count over the last few days and this was the result after a bit of paint throwing!

Spent a while last night bringing some of these parts together and found the Bubble canopy machine had few seams to sort. However the Razorback lined up perfectly from cockpit to fin but left a step at the nose and underside. Out came the sanding pads and a wee touch filler and all looks good now. The state of play 20mins ago.

Need to buy some primer then a few other goodies so there might be no more progress till the end of the month.
Arabest,
Geoff.

davidm

Post by davidm »

Off to a good start.

I'm getting left behind :oops:

Jamesv9820

Post by Jamesv9820 »

Not a bad start - look forward to seeing this one progress

Prime77

Post by Prime77 »

The nose cones look a lovely smooth coat of Red! :clap:

Should build in to a handsome pair.

I have the Hasegawa egg plane version of the silver P47 you made earlier. :biggrin:
Cheers,
Matt

ArabJazzie

Post by ArabJazzie »

Cheers for the comments so far chaps,
Managed to purchase some supplies for these builds and intend to get them back in the flow of things. I was supposed to be doon sooth this week but family comes first and now thats dealt with, i have now re-allocated my time to more mundane things like MOT time and finishing a wall. I will however be bringing this little lot together!

A couple of seams to sort at the wing roots and prime/fill/sand/prime/fill/sand until things look better. Also have an F-86 in the mix for the Alclad treatment! :sweat: :sweat:
Arabest,
Geoff.

Deacon
UKAR Supporter

Post by Deacon »

It's good to see you back at the hobbying desk mate. :clap:

I'm looking forward to seeing how you get on with the Alclad as I am yet to take the plunge myself.

Alan

ArabJazzie

Post by ArabJazzie »

Cheers Alan,
Still have a few things in the road of a good run at desk, but i will get there!

Did hope to use the Razorback as my first try at weathering but i think it may be a bit dark for what i want but watch this space! Something else against it is i think its the best spray finish ive managed so far, which will probably mean a waste of time for doing this.

Still require a few touch ups but hey, mask better the next time and all thinned Tamiya this time and here she is so far.

Arabest,
Geoff.

Deacon
UKAR Supporter

Post by Deacon »

Looking nice sir. :clap:

Now are you being a bit crafty here? I'm thinking the next update will be interesting.

Alan

Craig

Post by Craig »

That's a top drawer finish, very nice indeed! I presume the yellow was with the intention of chipping the paint to show undercoat? :smile:

Fumbles

Post by Fumbles »

Looking the part sofar! For the other kit with the Alclad.... I used it on my CF-104. Just make sure that the gloss black has dried fully. I gave my kit 4 days to dry. Plus as a extra side note. You don't need to buy "Alclad gloss Black" at a huge price. I found that out later. As long as the gloss black is an enamel. Your all good. Saves you some money in the end.
Thin coats of the alclad silvers/chomes too.. Just do a pass with the airbrush and let it sit for a minute.. repeat and repeat till you get the finish you want. If you have a old paint practice kit around. Try out the various finishes. Alclads sadly and thankfully can either distroy or finish a kit off perfectly. Hope that makes sense?

ArabJazzie

Post by ArabJazzie »

Craig wrote:That's a top drawer finish, very nice indeed! I presume the yellow was with the intention of chipping the paint to show undercoat? :smile:

Craig,
There is also some silver under the yellow but im not too happy the way its turned out. All part of the big experiment so will try again sometime in the future.

Fumbles,
I watched you Starfighter build with the knowledge i was about to buy Alclads. However, i dont understand what you mean about the Black base as mine was quite cheap. I do intend to let things cure for a while between applications.
Arabest,
Geoff.

ArabJazzie

Post by ArabJazzie »

Fumbles,
I have to confess that, as this is my first foray with Alclad, i had to find out what would happen if i got a bit excited and applied the top coat too early. Well it wasnt too bad and i was rather disappointed when only 3 bits of "grazing" appeared. Fortunately, my sausage fingers caused a few other issues to be attended to. Pity the battery ran out on the camera as it would have been a good learning curve for others but more on that later hopefully. Overall the finish looks good for a first attempt and the damaged areas have been re-prepared and set aside to cure. One down side is the sore head i get because of the cellulose thinners even though a nearby window is wide to the wall. Hope to have a photo update by next mid-week.
Arabest,
Geoff.

Fumbles

Post by Fumbles »

ArabJazzie wrote:
Craig wrote:That's a top drawer finish, very nice indeed! I presume the yellow was with the intention of chipping the paint to show undercoat? :smile:

Craig,
There is also some silver under the yellow but im not too happy the way its turned out. All part of the big experiment so will try again sometime in the future.

Fumbles,
I watched you Starfighter build with the knowledge i was about to buy Alclads. However, i dont understand what you mean about the Black base as mine was quite cheap. I do intend to let things cure for a while between applications.
Arabest,
Geoff.

Ah no worries.. Over here in Canada the Alclads average about $8.50 Cnd and the gloss black is about $15.00 cnd. So I just bought some Testors Gloss Black for $4.00
If you can get Aclads gloss black for cheap. Then all the better. I just thought it might have been really expensive for you too. My mistake. :smile:

Now with the new post... Thats the problem with gloss black and gloss white. It can take many days to cure 100%. The best thing to do if you can. Find a point that you can either stuff a pen in example a tail pipe or attach a clip to a part like a gun barrel. This way you can handle the kit with no oily finger prints getting stuck in. I'm looking forward to seeing how you make out with the alclads. Spraying them is all trial and error.. If you don't get the finish you want. Sand away and start again. I have been there. Done that. I think the Starfighter I did was sanded 3 times in some areas.

ArabJazzie

Post by ArabJazzie »

Hi again,
Well i have to say.... :yahoo: :yahoo: :drool:

To say im delighted about my first try at Alclads, is a serious understatement! Only down side is because its cellulose based, the thinners really go for me and dish out a sore head. Due to the timing, the purchase of the Alclad coincided with 2 builds that were suited to it. So as an experiment, the P-47 was black primed and top coat Aluminium within a couple of hours. Due to the crackin weather and window wide to the wall, i nearly got away with it but 2 areas of primer i knew were tacky reacted but nowhere near as bad as expected. Left overnight, sanded down and re-primed and left for 2 days before finish restored to get to this stage. The cowl was done, again as an experiment, without black primer onto a part gloss red, part primer base and worked great.

The other candidate, a USAF Sabre for a GB on Fighter Control, was primed and left for 3 days then top coat of White Aluminium applied. No waffle here!

And both together.

Im not going to add different panel shades on these builds, barring a bit of gunmetal on the Sabre, as i have a stalled build that is ripe for that kind of thing!
Arabest,
Geoff.

Deacon
UKAR Supporter

Post by Deacon »

They look cracking mate. A lovely finish on them. :clap:

Well done for trying Alclads out and managing to get a great result. :clap:

Alan

Craig

Post by Craig »

They look superb! And as for thinners I'm finding same thing, even white spirit fumes outside didn't seem to do my throat any favours. Will leave the respirator on next time methinks.

ArabJazzie

Post by ArabJazzie »

Thanks for the comments chaps and here is another update. 2nd update this week!

As the Razorback seemed to leading the race to the finish, it was natural that it was the first to get its decals. Here is were i hit a bit of a snag! The older stars n bars i had were a bit yellowed, so with the distant memory that was the great weather the other week, this allowed the decals to sit in the sun for a day or 2. When applied to the aircraft, they behaved impeccably and settled down with a bit of Micro set n sol. Sadly there are decals from 2 eras in the box and what looked like the newer set with all the nose art were a bit on the thick side. They still went on ok but needed more than enough set n sol.

So a couple of the Razor for now as it needs some touch ups, a 2nd coat of finish and something new, but not weathering.

The Alclad 47 now looks more a P-47 with legs, doors, engine, cowl, prop all fitted with some of the colour added.
Im sure the eagle eyed will notice where the previous mentioned imperfections were.

Arabest,
Geoff.

Deacon
UKAR Supporter

Post by Deacon »

ArabJazzie wrote:Im sure the eagle eyed will notice where the previous mentioned imperfections were.

Ah, yes, they are er.................. :dunno:

Has anyone used this line yet on your thread......."Great looking pair of jugs!" :oops: :biggrin:

:clap: :clap:

Alan

Craig

Post by Craig »

Indeed, and you can't beat nice Jugs! Lovely work! :clap:

ArabJazzie

Post by ArabJazzie »

Dang n blast it!!!

4 weeks ago, everything was fine n dandy! However as is frustratingly always the case, something comes along and kicks me in the nads and slows everything down!!! :facepalm: Work/overtime, decorating the girls room and having to look for a car to replace the Galaxy have all taken time away! We have not found a replacement Galaxy, but we have found 2 newer Focus that fit the second best scenario. Only went to look at one!!! :hypno:

Anyway, this is how the table looked Saturday.
And Sunday.

Now look in the completed thread! :yahoo:
Arabest,
Geoff.

Deacon
UKAR Supporter

Post by Deacon »

Well done for finishing these mate. :clap: :clap:

May I make a couple of suggestions, as you've worked long and hard on these builds and tried out Alclad and achieved a great result?

I think you should give the props a lick of black paint and give them that shine you quite often see. Than you should dust off the builds and let that
NMF show. Then re-take the photo's in the gallery with a tidy background.

You've done the hard part, now it's just a case of presentation (time allowing of course).

How's the Sabre coming on?

Alan

ArabJazzie

Post by ArabJazzie »

Deacon wrote:Well done for finishing these mate. :clap: :clap:

May I make a couple of suggestions, as you've worked long and hard on these builds and tried out Alclad and achieved a great result?

I think you should give the props a lick of black paint and give them that shine you quite often see. Than you should dust off the builds and let that
NMF show. Then re-take the photo's in the gallery with a tidy background.

You've done the hard part, now it's just a case of presentation (time allowing of course).

How's the Sabre coming on?

Alan

Appreciate what you are saying Alan but we are a family of 6 stuck in a 2 bedroom flat! On top of that i am in the middle of decorating the girls(3 of them :surrender: ) room and their stuff is everywhere around the other rooms and the whole house is dusty as hell just now. Running out of space for the stash as well!

The Sabre and MIG are on hold for a further week or 2 while we sort out a new car for the wife and i just happened to find a new one at the same garage for myself!!!
Arabest,
Geoff.

Craig

Post by Craig »

Sorry you're finding it tough at present, but you can be justifiably proud of those two! Hope things settle soon for you mate :smile: