Cold War GB - Tin Wing Harriers Finished!

A forum for UKAR Group Builds
ArabJazzie

Cold War GB - Tin Wing Harriers Finished!

Post by ArabJazzie »

Hello all,
Having had a busy run of things of late, i looked to this GB to get the models back on track. Some things had to be packed away for a wee while then re-sorted before i could look again to see what to build. I soon found i had too many that fitted this GB but one pile of kits looked like it was time to take the plunge on.

Seen as the Cold War kinda ended as the Harrier developed, amongst other things, from the metal to the carbon wing, here is a good excuse to build those early Tin Wing Harriers. So for the first one i will be taking the Italeri GR3 and adding a Quickboost conversion to make a GR1.
The box.
The sprue and conversion shot.
And seen as forgot how easy these are to build, a wee bit of progress.

Next is the Sword T2 which looks like its very closely related to the Italeri.
Boxings used.
Sprue and PE.

As they are all basically the same, the GR1 and T2 will showcase here with the GR3 and T4 progressing in the background with all 4 hopefully at the finishing line.
Arabest,
Geoff.
Last edited by ArabJazzie on Mon 30 Sep 2013, 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
52 in a year! We must be certifiable!

Deacon
UKAR Supporter

Re: Cold War GB - Tin Wing Harriers

Post by Deacon »

As I already have a Harrier in my collection I wanted to focus on other stuff, so I was hoping someone would make one.

But you are planning on making 4! Superb! :clap:

You'll have to let me know how the GR.3 goes together as I might do one of these for another GB.

ArabJazzie

Post by ArabJazzie »

Deacon wrote:As I already have a Harrier in my collection I wanted to focus on other stuff, so I was hoping someone would make one.

But you are planning on making 4! Superb! :clap:

You'll have to let me know how the GR.3 goes together as I might do one of these for another GB.

Yep,
4 RAF machines in the initial stage of this project but i might just do the 3rd T-bird as the Navy special from one of the boxings.

The GR3 is a wee bit different from what i remember and all i can think is the moulds are showing their age a bit. Care, time and bit of filler but one gap required a shim of plasticard. Progress so far.

The Sword T-birds are a bit strange though. In some places, the dry fit showed them to be an excellent fit, but other places the fit is horrendous! Just means that i will need to take care and fill some areas ive never thought of doing in the past!!! Progress earlier this evening got the cockpit to my usual standard.
It wont stay like that with all that PE. There is also the Freightdog intakes which are dry fitted.
They fit nice n snug when pushed in tight.

Supposed to be back at work tomorrow but i have a feeling i will be updating this again!!! :dizzy:
Arabest,
Geoff.

Deacon
UKAR Supporter

Post by Deacon »

A great start Geoff.

Tug 747
UKAR Moderators

Post by Tug 747 »

Nice start Geoff you almost have as many Harriers as i have F-4s. I think this will be an interesting build to follow. :smile:

Craig

Post by Craig »

Nice! I'm sure this'll be quite a collection when finished! :cool:

twirl2688

Post by twirl2688 »

Looking good. Just to ask how old is that tube of glue in the pics not seen one like that in years :lol:

Scott
what is the significance of that flag

Craig

Post by Craig »

twirl2688 wrote:Looking good. Just to ask how old is that tube of glue in the pics not seen one like that in years :lol:

Scott

Not that old, says "Hornby" on it! They still supply them with the starter sets :smile:

twirl2688

Post by twirl2688 »

Ahh thought they were the old tube you used to get, didnt realise they done them like that anymore.

Scott
what is the significance of that flag

ArabJazzie

Post by ArabJazzie »

Hello again peeps!
Wanted to have an update a bit sooner but as usual, life gets in the road! On light duties at work for now as a wee shoulder problem got worse at the wrong time!!! :surrender: One way to keep the shoulder moving when on rest days is to get the kits out and build! :joystick: So there are 3 on the table just now with the 2 Harriers starting this and a Phantom(that could fit this GB as well!) for the FC ADB-GB.

The T2 Harrier has had its cockpit painted with MSG then the kit PE thrown at it. As its the first time using PE, ive taken my time and i think its gone ok!
Not the best due the flash but.....

This has been all buttoned up which has been a challenge at times but ive taken my time and done quite a good job considering! More of that soon but i have another wee project that might take up some of my time tomorrow.
Arabest,
Geoff.

Craig

Post by Craig »

Great start, the PE looks the business! :cool:

Deacon
UKAR Supporter

Post by Deacon »

Looking good sir.

Tug 747
UKAR Moderators

Post by Tug 747 »

Looking really good especially the PE well done.

ArabJazzie

Post by ArabJazzie »

Hi all,
First of all thanks for the support.

Been bumping along slowly on these and have started the build of the 2nd twin stick but building a slightly different way after finding references. The two main kits have made it to primer and any bits that required it, filled and reprimed.

Some paint is about to flow but probably the weekend before i update again.
Arabest,
Geoff.

Deacon
UKAR Supporter

Post by Deacon »

Great progress mate. :smile:

Craig

Post by Craig »

These are looking very smart indeed! :smile:

Fumbles

Post by Fumbles »

Good to see some Harriers in the mix. I really do like the looks of that twin seated build you got going there. Nice work. :clap:

ArabJazzie

Post by ArabJazzie »

Cheers for the comments guys.

Still bumping along with these but ive went and knocked the main gear off the GR1 so that looks to be heading for wheels up on a stand! Still have these as priority, but we shall see. :ninja:

As you see, the T-bird is painted and needs some Klear. This weekend will see the green on the GR1 and this next little thing from Airfix started.

Hearing lots of good about these and a little bad but we will see how it goes.
Arabest,
Geoff.

Deacon
UKAR Supporter

Post by Deacon »

Cracking Gromit. :clap:

Craig

Post by Craig »

Great work, these are looking fantastic! :cool:

ArabJazzie

Post by ArabJazzie »

Hi all,
Well, yet again i fully intended to update sooner but as per usual, i get engrossed with the latest kit on the bench and next i knew, the Airfix GR1 looked like an aeroplane and was soon sitting under a shower of paint!

This is one nice kit but with one little bit i dont like, that being the way the tailplane fits. Probably should have secured it rather than letting it swing in the breeze!

All 3 are now at the decal stage.

More next week when these push to the top of the 14 high finishing pile! Black Mike to finish for a GB on FC. :yahoo:
Arabest,
Geoff.

Tug 747
UKAR Moderators

Post by Tug 747 »

Fantastic i am looking forward to the seeing these finished. :clap:

ArabJazzie

Post by ArabJazzie »

Hi all,
I think its just over a week to go on this GB and with Black Mike finished for the GB on FC, its 100% on these 3! Decal session this afternoon then add some dangly bits as i go. A wee mistake on the the T2 and Italeri GR1 has been rectified and all canopies are Kleared.

Arabest,
Geoff.

ArabJazzie

Post by ArabJazzie »

Back again with some more progress.

The first decal fest i had this week certainly didnt go to plan so the confidence was knocked a bit. I need not have worried as the Airfix decals i used for the 2 GR1s were a delight to work with! However, the decals with the Sword T2, although looking very good up til the point of putting them on the kit, seemed to become very nervous any time i put a finger or scalpel near them! :dizzy:

Some patience and plenty time later, we made it here!

Chosen schemes are T2/233 OCU , Italeri GR1/20 sqn and 1 sqn for the Airfix GR1. Pushed things on a wee bit through the evening and this is where i am tonight.

14 hour shift tomorrow then its late shift all week so it might be a last weekend blast to finish these.
Arabest,
Geoff.

Craig

Post by Craig »

Great stuff, I admire your dedication working on three at once! I've only tried that method once and struggled to keep going with it :clap: