Revell GB - 1/72 F4U-5 Corsair **Finished**

A forum for UKAR Group Builds
TBPhoto

Revell GB - 1/72 F4U-5 Corsair **Finished**

Post by TBPhoto »

Went out to the local model shop just so I could participate in this... looks a nice model, and have already started! Hopefully I'll be able to fit another model in after this! I will be finishing in the scheme of 122007, VF-14, USS Franklin D Roosevelt 1953. Don't be expecting much, it will never be as good as FTS' Corsairs!
Here is the box
Sprues, sorry about some main pieces already been taken off (Fuselage, cockpit, wings)
Here is the progress so far!
I will be posting more pictures later, so keep an eye out!

Tommy
Last edited by TBPhoto on Sat 08 Feb 2014, 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nikon D7100
Tamron SP 70-300mm f/4-5.6 Di VC USD
Nikon AF-S Nikon 50mm f/1.8G
Sigma 10-20mm f3.5 EX DC HSM

FTS

Re: Revell GB - 1/72 F4U-5 Corsair

Post by FTS »

You confused me when I saw the title of this thread. I thought "hang on I haven't posted it yet!" :lol: I got this kit out before for the GB to build the same one you intend to do. I'm happy to build the Marines one and i'll get another one of these kits in the future. If you need any help with reference's etc just give me a shout.
facebook.com/shgpmedia
instagram.com/shgphotography86/
Youtube - SHGP Media

TBPhoto

Post by TBPhoto »

Sorry! I've only just seen your post in the Revell GB thread... IF I would've seen it before, this build wouldn't be on here, so you could show off yours! I'm a bit stuck with paints at the moment, used Humbrol 15, but really not sure that's the right colour! Looks way too dark! Other than that, the kits going fine. Sorry again!
Nikon D7100

FTS

Post by FTS »

Typhoon01 wrote:Sorry! I've only just seen your post in the Revell GB thread... IF I would've seen it before, this build wouldn't be on here, so you could show off yours! I'm a bit stuck with paints at the moment, used Humbrol 15, but really not sure that's the right colour! Looks way too dark! Other than that, the kits going fine. Sorry again!

It's fine I don't own the monopoly on Corsair builds :lol: Which area are you painting? When it comes to painting the blue in reality it was Gloss Sea Blue. The only paint of that colour I've come across is a Laquer based paint which is no good for me. I mix my own until I'm happy with it using a mix of Mr Color Navy Blue, Midnight Blue and Tamiya Royal Blue. Italleri suggest Blue Angel Blue but that's far to bright IMO. If you take a dark blue, add some black to it and then gloss it, it should look fine.
facebook.com/shgpmedia
Youtube - SHGP Media

TBPhoto

Post by TBPhoto »

Damn! I was hoping I wouldn't have to mix paints! I prefer using Revell paints... The instructions say Lufthansa Blue mixed with Anthracite, can remember the ratio though. Not sure how accurate that colour will be? I'll have to find out I guess!
Nikon D7100

FTS

Post by FTS »

Typhoon01 wrote:Damn! I was hoping I wouldn't have to mix paints! I prefer using Revell paints... The instructions say Lufthansa Blue mixed with Anthracite, can remember the ratio though. Not sure how accurate that colour will be? I'll have to find out I guess!

Sounds like it should be alright.
facebook.com/shgpmedia
Youtube - SHGP Media

Deacon
UKAR Supporter

Post by Deacon »

Vellajo and Xtracrylix bothbdo Dark Sea Blue, are they any good? Vallejo produce it
in Model Air form so ypu can use it straight from the pot through the air brush.

I've used both the Model Air and normal Vallejo stuff.

FTS

Post by FTS »

Deacon wrote:Vellajo and Xtracrylix bothbdo Dark Sea Blue, are they any good? Vallejo produce it
in Model Air form so ypu can use it straight from the pot through the air brush.

I've not used either so wouldn't be able to confirm or deny. I was told that the Mr Color Navy Blue was supposed to be a good match but it's nowhere near close! Is that what you used on the Corsair you did recently? If so i'll probably try it out and save the hassle of having to mix.
facebook.com/shgpmedia
Youtube - SHGP Media

TBPhoto

Post by TBPhoto »

Deacon wrote:Vellajo and Xtracrylix bothbdo Dark Sea Blue, are they any good? Vallejo produce it

That colour looks almost perfect, searched it on google! I think I might have to get some of that! Cheers for that shout.
Nikon D7100

TBPhoto

Post by TBPhoto »

Got some of that Vallejo Model Air paint... Really not happy with it! Preferred Humbrol 15! Main reason being, it clogged up my airbrush despite being 'ready to airbrush'! Had to sand down the aircraft, and turn back to Humbrol 15! What a pile if junk. :wall:
EDIT: Made a mix between the Vallejo stuff, Humbrol 25 and a drop of water, seems to be setting just fine! :biggrin:
Nikon D7100

Deacon
UKAR Supporter

Post by Deacon »

Typhoon01 wrote:Got some of that Vallejo Model Air paint... Really not happy with it! Preferred Humbrol 15! Main reason being, it clogged up my airbrush despite being 'ready to airbrush'! Had to sand down the aircraft, and turn back to Humbrol 15! What a pile if junk. :wall:
EDIT: Made a mix between the Vallejo stuff, Humbrol 25 and a drop of water, seems to be setting just fine! :biggrin:

Phew! :sweat:

TBPhoto

Post by TBPhoto »

I'll tell you what Deacon, I quite like my paint mixing skills :grin: Looks great, thought some panel lines seem to be disappearing where I've sanded the paint off, not to worry, panel lone wash might look ok. I'll post some pictures tomorrow for you all!
Nikon D7100

TBPhoto

Post by TBPhoto »

Last night, I went to turn the computer on to post pictures, and suddenly my Mum shouted, 'Tommy! Top Gun is on at 9pm on E4' so, I just had to turn the computer off and watch it. Despite already watching it stupidly around 20 times! But now, I am starting to wonder whether the paints a bit too light! Not sure that I'll be able to post pictures today, due to revision and homework, but I will tomorrow if I can't today!
Top Gun really makes me want to make a 1/72 F-14...

Tommy
Nikon D7100

FTS

Post by FTS »

How are you getting on with yours?
facebook.com/shgpmedia
Youtube - SHGP Media

TBPhoto

Post by TBPhoto »

Alright I guess! Really need to update on here... Sorry about the wait, I'll try my best tomorrow!
Nikon D7100

TBPhoto

Post by TBPhoto »

Right here we go... Got quite a lot done so this is a big-ish update... Finally found time after a day off, with nothing else to do. Not a bad kit, some bits are quite fiddly though, so have missed some small parts out, either by losing them or getting them stuck to my fingers and then breaking! Anyway, here's the update:
Wings and Fuselage
First coat of paint which I didn't like at all. (Humbrol 15)
So I decided to sand it down and spray it with Vallejo Model Air Dark Sea Blue and turned out like this
Here it is at the moment with some other bits on such as the wheels and guns, after realising I had a foggy canopy, I got quite annoyed with myself. Sorry about the dark photo
I will update later on with the decals done!
Tommy
Nikon D7100

TBPhoto

Post by TBPhoto »

Finally done! Decals were lovely and didn't have a single problem with them! They've also set nicely into the panel lines now. On with the update! More pictures will be in the completed builds area. C&C Please!
If you spot a bit that I need to give a little bit more paint, or something that needs improving let me know! There are a few missing things that I broke, but I hope you like it.
Tommy
Nikon D7100

FTS

Post by FTS »

Always good to see someone else building a Corsair. I had a nightmare with my decals when they touched the water and broke apart. Are your gun barrels blue?
facebook.com/shgpmedia
Youtube - SHGP Media

TBPhoto

Post by TBPhoto »

FTS wrote:Always good to see someone else building a Corsair. I had a nightmare with my decals when they touched the water and broke apart. Are your gun barrels blue?

Yours is much better though! Oh dear, I used a water/Humbrol Decal Fix mix. Works well! They are indeed, well spotted, I must correct that... I also think they are too long, what's your opinion?
Nikon D7100

FTS

Post by FTS »

Typhoon01 wrote:
FTS wrote:Always good to see someone else building a Corsair. I had a nightmare with my decals when they touched the water and broke apart. Are your gun barrels blue?

Yours is much better though! Oh dear, I used a water/Humbrol Decal Fix mix. Works well! They are indeed, well spotted, I must correct that... I also think they are too long, what's your opinion?

The gun barrels are for the night fighter type and are incorrect for the type. I took mine off and added some of the spare exhaust pieces in their place. Because they're hollowed out at one end they work really well.

I use Micro Sol on mine. They were just a bad bunch. Do you have any gloss varnish? Your yellow would stand out well with a quick coat.
facebook.com/shgpmedia
Youtube - SHGP Media

TBPhoto

Post by TBPhoto »

FTS wrote:
Typhoon01 wrote:

The gun barrels are for the night fighter type and are incorrect for the type. I took mine off and added some of the spare exhaust pieces in their place. Because they're hollowed out at one end they work really well.

I use Micro Sol on mine. They were just a bad bunch. Do you have any gloss varnish? Your yellow would stand out well with a quick coat.

Okay thats an idea! If I can put up with the fiddlyness! I do indeed, will try it out, cheers for that!
Nikon D7100

FTS

Post by FTS »

Tweezers and super glue will be your friend :lol:
facebook.com/shgpmedia
Youtube - SHGP Media

Irishaernut

Post by Irishaernut »

Nice job , yeah I overcame fiddlyiness by using sprue and white tack.

Deacon
UKAR Supporter

Post by Deacon »

Well done Tommy on completing another build and a nice looking job too. :clap:

TBPhoto

Post by TBPhoto »

FTS wrote:Tweezers and super glue will be your friend :lol:

Decided to just trim them, but it looks good I guess! Lots my pitot tube a while back, probably can't replace it!
Deacon wrote:Well done Tommy on completing another build and a nice looking job too. :clap:

Thank you! Might be able to do the Revell 1/72 Tornado GR1 - GR4 conversion!
Nikon D7100