1/144 Group Build - A pair of Clippers - finished

1/144 Group Build - A pair of Clippers - finished

Postby DerekF on Wed 30 Dec 2015, 2:51 pm

Undaunted by the apparent quietness in the forum and almost total lack of interest, the next couple of builds will be these two.
Airfix Boeing Clipper and a Glencoe Martin China Clipper

Should get a start in the next few days.
Last edited by DerekF on Wed 20 Jan 2016, 11:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
DerekF

Re: 1/144 Group Build - A pair of Clippers

Postby farnboroughrob on Thu 31 Dec 2015, 8:23 am

I am interested in the forum, its just every time I start a thread on a build it goes wrong so I am waiting until I finish them! The china clipper looks like a fiddly bug%er with those struts, good luck!
farnboroughrob

Postby iainpeden on Thu 31 Dec 2015, 4:34 pm

Which scheme are you going to do the Boeing Clipper in - the USN 2 blue and white makes an interesting change.
iainpeden

Postby Fumbles on Thu 31 Dec 2015, 5:20 pm

Another good choice Derek.. out of the two, I'm looking forward to seeing the first Clipper and how it'll turn out. I've actually had my eye on that kit and thinking a water diorama.
Fumbles
UKAR Staff

Postby DerekF on Sun 03 Jan 2016, 3:59 pm

Thanks folks - hopefully get a start soon. The plan is to build as a pair with the same scheme.
DerekF

Postby DerekF on Thu 14 Jan 2016, 11:06 pm

A bit of progress. The good thing about the small scale is that they generally come together quickly. The Martin kit is made of the softest plastic I've come across and it's easy to damage the parts. The fit isn't the best either. I'm going to build and paint it with the wing off. I think it might be easier that way. The Boeing Clipper is altogether easier. I noticed the Airifx copyright logo on one of the wings. 1964 it said. Almost as old as me.

My next build will definitely be something easier.
DerekF

Postby DerekF on Mon 18 Jan 2016, 10:50 pm

Now ready for decals

DerekF

Re: 1/144 Group Build - A pair of Clippers - updated

Postby DerekF on Wed 20 Jan 2016, 11:06 pm

Now complete.
The Boeing Clipper wasn't too bad for a 50 year old kit.

The Glencoe Martin M-130 wasn't so good. Very soft plastic poor fit and fragile decals made me glad this one is finished.

Both brushed Revell acrylic silver and the Boeing Clipper has a Red Arrows red panel on the wings.

Having a break from the GB for now. I might keep building what I have but not go to the effort of build threads.
DerekF

Re: 1/144 Group Build - A pair of Clippers - finished

Postby Wes_Howes on Thu 21 Jan 2016, 2:20 pm

I was waiting for you to finish these before commenting. Nice work again, can't say I've ever seen any models of Clippers before. Big decals like those on the Martin would put me off :ghost: :grin:
Wes_Howes

Postby farnboroughrob on Thu 21 Jan 2016, 3:07 pm

Wes_Howes wrote:I was waiting for you to finish these before commenting. Nice work again, can't say I've ever seen any models of Clippers before. Big decals like those on the Martin would put me off :ghost: :grin:

Nice build, well done for persevering on the Martin Exactly that I though on the decals. Would like to do a Boeing in BOAC colors, didn't Airfix do a later issue with those decals?
farnboroughrob

Postby DerekF on Fri 22 Jan 2016, 4:23 pm

Thanks folks. In the kit you do get BOAC decals for a camouflage example. Would have been easier in hind sight. As would the US Navy colours for the Martin.....oh well.
DerekF

Return to UKAR Modelling Group Builds