Your Rarest Catch

Communal photo threads for specific aircraft types, operators etc.
Col. Chibani

Re: Your Rarest Catch

Post by Col. Chibani »

My rarest catch is, depressingly, my oldest catch : An-225 & Buran at Le Bourget 1989, during the trade days. Unbelievingly, not only access was granted in these blessed years in front of the "chalets", but this area was (as shown by my other shots) almost totally empty !

ImageAn-225 + Bourane by Colonel CHIBANI, sur Flickr
Taken with the compact camera of my parents, with no telelens nor zoom.

PS : I have a complete photo collection of each & every Paris Air Show since 1989. If I can find some time, I will put them on the "Golden Oldies" section.

Tuckat

Post by Tuckat »

Sea Harrier from the Indian Navy at Yeovilton, late 84 or early 85,

ImageVL04 1984 by Phil Roberts, on Flickr
Blood, Tears and Folly

phantom6

Japan

Post by phantom6 »

This is the only one left in the world so it has to be my rarest

Image1-IMG_0146 by victor priday, on Flickr

SuffolkBlue

Post by SuffolkBlue »

A 909th Air Refueling Squadron KC-135 from Kadena on the ramp at Hickam AFB, September 2011

USAF Boeing KC-135 Stratotanker - Hickam AFB, Hawaii by Chris Day, on Flickr

iaint
UKAR Staff

Post by iaint »

Bit regretful that I didn't just say sod it and photograph Afghan Mi-17s and An-32s when I was at Kandahar, and the Afghan MiG-21 photo I took doesn't count as it was out of service as a Gate Guard... Instead, I suppose these three photos will have to be called my rarest catches...
Qatar Emiri Air Force Commando helicopters at Doha Internationa Airport. Excuse the quality, these were shot through an A330 window whilst taxiing for depature towards the Maldives...

ImageIMG_6007v2 by Iain Thomson, on Flickr

ImageQA20 - Westland Commando by Iain Thomson, on Flickr

ImageQA34 - Westland Commando by Iain Thomson, on Flickr
http://www.flickr.com/photos/iainthomson84/

End of Message, End of Broadcast

Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Post by Wissam24 »

Well, obviously my first thought was to Wonsan - KPAAF MiGs and Sukhois are, of course, about as rare as you can get. But there were over a hundred people there, so I'm far from the only one to get shots - bordering on common as muck. So what could be rarer than the world's most closed-off air force? How about North Korean general aviation? Very few have seen this, the country's very own indigenous microlight, the Hulbeol.

ImageDPRK Hulbeol (Honeybee) Microlight by Sam Wise, on Flickr
Twitter: @samwise24 | Flickr: samwise24 | Shamelessly copying LN Strike Eagle's avatar ideas since 2016

wallace

Post by wallace »

I think I was the only person in the country to get a photo of this one as it staged through Glenrothes on its way to Italy.
ImageN40040 Piaggio P.136, Glenrothes 07 by Wallace Shackleton, on Flickr

SCARECROW 451

Post by SCARECROW 451 »

Dutch Antillies AW139

ImageDSCF0811 - Copy by scarecrow450, on Flickr

Skylinerworld

Post by Skylinerworld »

Neither of these aircraft are rare, but the situation was! In case you don't remember, here's a news article: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-ma ... r-28670502

Imageqatartyphoon by Matthew Cossar, on Flickr
Search 'AirportsAroundTheWorld' on FB
Search 'airports_around_the_world' on Insta
http://blog.skylinerworld.co.uk/

phantom6

Post by phantom6 »

You don't see this to often

Imagedane13 by victor priday, on Flickr

Skyflash
UKAR Staff

Post by Skyflash »

Cor! :rock:

That is an absolute belter, great sense of movement in the image. A fine capture indeed.
Posting comments on an aviation-related chatroom, are ya? Looks like it an' all...

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

Very cool shot. :rock:

Do you intend this to be a themed thread of Ospreys, or just you posting a pic? I can move it into the correct fora if so. :up:

phantom6

Post by phantom6 »

Yes sorry I meaning to put this in rarest catch section

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

No problem. Done & done. :up:

alisdairanderson

Post by alisdairanderson »

This was taken through the terminal window at Lusaka, the day after a flypast for the 'Opening of Parliament' ceremony - a trio of Karakorum-8 from the Zambia AirForce

Cheers,
Alisdair

Skyflash
UKAR Staff

Post by Skyflash »

alisdairanderson wrote:This was taken through the terminal window at Lusaka, the day after a flypast for the 'Opening of Parliament' ceremony - a trio of Karakorum-8 from the Zambia AirForce

Cheers,
Alisdair

Ladies and gentlemen, I think we have a winner... :grin:
Posting comments on an aviation-related chatroom, are ya? Looks like it an' all...

speedbird2639

Post by speedbird2639 »

Skyflash wrote:
alisdairanderson wrote:This was taken through the terminal window at Lusaka, the day after a flypast for the 'Opening of Parliament' ceremony - a trio of Karakorum-8 from the Zambia AirForce

Cheers,
Alisdair

Ladies and gentlemen, I think we have a winner... :grin:

Wiki say 500+ of these were built. There seems to be some strange interpretations of the word 'rare' on here.

FWIW I would say Hughes H-4 Hercules would be the definitive 'rare' catch - they only made one and it only flew once. Unfortunately I don't have a photo of it!

Stagger2

Post by Stagger2 »

Definitively, 'your rarest catch' would be yours, rare & 'catched' :whistle:
The 'Spruce Goose' just departing the water is rare, but I aint got a shot of that either! I would say that a shot of one Karakorum-8 from the Zambian Air Force is rare, but 3 on rotation is the Mutts Nuts in this topic! :hide:

alisdairanderson

Post by alisdairanderson »

Stagger2 wrote:Definitively, 'your rarest catch' would be yours, rare & 'catched' :whistle:
The 'Spruce Goose' just departing the water is rare, but I aint got a shot of that either! I would say that a shot of one Karakorum-8 from the Zambian Air Force is rare, but 3 on rotation is the Mutts Nuts in this topic! :hide:

Hi,

I'm certainly in agreement that 'rare' is a subjective view, and depends upon what you consider as 'normal' or 'common', depending upon what events/locations you frequent.

It was a really satisfying catch, as I wasn't expecting to see these! They'd been over Lusaka a couple of days beforehand practicing, but I had no idea on their movements; added to which, photography at the military base seems to be a strict "no", it was very a lucky movement while I awaited our flight back home... (Confession time.....I'm not particularly knowledgeable on some of the less common aircraft, so did result to Google for working out what they were! - Wikipedia suggests they have 16 of them in service)

Cheers
Alisdair

scudpilot

Post by scudpilot »

U2 pilot disembarking from a fully kitted out U2 at RAF Fairford last year.
Same day I saw my first B1B launch.
Epic day.
ImageU2 Pilot leaving the aircraft by Jim Pritchard, on Flickr

scudpilot

Post by scudpilot »

Wissam24 wrote:Well, obviously my first thought was to Wonsan - KPAAF MiGs and Sukhois are, of course, about as rare as you can get. But there were over a hundred people there, so I'm far from the only one to get shots - bordering on common as muck. So what could be rarer than the world's most closed-off air force? How about North Korean general aviation? Very few have seen this, the country's very own indigenous microlight, the Hulbeol.

ImageDPRK Hulbeol (Honeybee) Microlight by Sam Wise, on Flickr

What a superb shot!

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

Long time ago ( somewhere around 1979-83, I think ) so pre-digital...
Rhine/Mosel Valley ( Autobahn services by the river bridge near Koblenz) - an Optica.
Not sure if it was being evaluated by the Germans at the time.

Got the photo somewhere, I'll have to dig it out if I can remember where it is :oops:
Tôi chỉ đặt cái này ở đây để giữ cho người điều hành bận rộn
아직도 숨어있다

Blackbird
UKAR Supporter

Post by Blackbird »

Apologies for a second bite of the cherry, but stumbled across this when I was looking for something else. A Mexican Navy Mil-17 that I saw some 10 years ago whilst wandering round that dreadful place Cozumel!
ImageIMG_7045-ed web by Andrew Shaw[/url], on Flickr

Andy :smile:

frank

Post by frank »

Spotted this Chinese IL-76 overhead when visiting Monino air museum in 2013. Probably linked to the August 1st team displaying at MAKS the previous couple of days.

ImageChinese IL-76 by Fairford Fairford, on Flickr

PeteFenwick

Post by PeteFenwick »

What to choose? NASA Lockheed S-3B Viking at Oshkosh 2011 was a surprise and is certainly rare. I gather it is now "inactive"

ImageOshkosh-2011-Lockheed-S-3B-Viking by Peter Fenwick, on Flickr