Your Rarest Catch

Your Rarest Catch

Postby CJS on Fri 03 Nov 2017, 10:52 am

Simples really - one photo of your most unusual aircraft, still in service (so no museum shots, however rare those beasts often are!).

Mine, a Fokker F-27 from the Bolivian Air Force

"Forewarned is forearmed"
CJS

Re: Your Rarest Catch

Postby sdad on Fri 03 Nov 2017, 11:24 am

Still in service when photographed or still in service now?
sdad

Postby Blackbird on Fri 03 Nov 2017, 12:15 pm

How about this one - a pair of Namibian Air Force Harbin Y-12s
Imageby Andrew Shaw, on Flickr

Andy :smile:
Blackbird
UKAR Supporter

Postby boff180 on Fri 03 Nov 2017, 12:32 pm

Far too many to choose from....

USAF Global Hawk
NASA Global Hawk
NASA DC-8
NASA ER-2
NASA 747SP SOFIA
NASA F-18
NASA F-15
NASA X-29
NASA T-34
NASA F-104
NASA HiMAT
Lockheed YO-3A
MQ-8C Firescout
MQ-1 Predator
E-9A Widget
YF-23
YF-17

to name but a few :grin:

Think it comes down to either the YO-3A or the E-9A....

I chose the E-9A as it looks cool, is never seen outside the USA and very rarely seen outside of Tyndall AFB where the only two in existence are based.

I was lucky enough to see one making a rare visit to Houston to be on static at Wings Over Houston in 2012... even luckier enough to gain access to the pan before dawn!

ImageE-9A Widget - 84-0048/TD - USAF 'Team Target' by Andrew Evans, on Flickr

Andy
boff180
UKAR Staff

Postby CJS on Fri 03 Nov 2017, 2:27 pm

sdad wrote:Still in service when photographed or still in service now?

Yeah, good point. When photographed was my thinking. But it had to be rare then. So (for example) a photo of a B-29 from when they were still in service wouldn't count as there would have been loads of them. But basically anything of Andy's list (jeleous? Just a bit!) would fit the bill perfickly.
CJS

Postby RobS on Fri 03 Nov 2017, 3:40 pm

Greek RF-84F Thunderflash, landing at Volkel (Netherlands) on 29 July 1988. Maybe not rare for a someone living in Larissa, Greece, but rare for everyone else. 51-1253 is a former RNLAF Flash and was added to the military aviation museum in Soeterberg. So this was the last flight.

Reading and seeing the other posts, more rare catches come to mind. Like a Japanese Navy Bell 47, a Russian Tu-16 and MiG-21's, Hondurese Super Mystère, Uruguay Navy Wessex, Brazilian and Argentine Trackers... All still in service. And nice: I flew in the F-27 in the first post. :wink:

ImageRF-84F Thunderflash by Rob Schleiffert, on Flickr
Last edited by RobS on Sat 04 Nov 2017, 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RobS

Postby Paul_Reflex on Fri 03 Nov 2017, 4:48 pm

I think this US Army EO-5C is just about the rarest thing I've caught.
ImageEO-5C departure by Paul Smith, on Flickr
Paul_Reflex

Postby sdad on Fri 03 Nov 2017, 10:35 pm

How about this? Were Senegal Air Force Dakotas rare?
Toulouse-Blagnac 13 Jul 1976.
sdad

Postby ErikNZ on Sat 04 Nov 2017, 9:20 am

Rare being of course somewhat subjective as what is rare to one person may only be uncommon or perhaps an every day occurrence to someone else.
To me, rare aircraft are those that a certain air arm may only have very few of and that aren't often seen elsewhere.

So in that light, a few things came to mind that I have managed to snap in the past that I considered rare - to me.

US Army O-2 Skymasters at the Yuma Proving Ground
Italian Air Force NH-500D (not E)
Maltese Air Force Bell 47G (living in NZ I wouldn't count RNZAF Bell 47s as rare but for someone in Europe they may be pretty rare I suppose)
US Special Operations Forces C-41A (CASA 212)
UAE CH-47C (ex-Libyan Air Force)
Uruguayan Navy Wessex (sole remaining Wessex by the time I visited Uruguay), T-34Cs (only 2x) and their sole AS355
Russian Air Force IL-20

But in the end, I settled for this one:

The reason being that in all the cases above, I purposely traveled to these locations with the very purpose to shoot those aircraft or with a high chance of probability of seeing it.
Perhaps the exception being the UAE CH-47C which was test flying at the Agustawestland plant while I was visiting Frosinone so that was pretty unexpected too. Though given that it was an Agusta facility, one could typically expect something exotic or strange.

The Royal Thai Navy TA-7C, of which they had four, was shot at NAS Meridian in 1995, right around the time they received their A-7Es. It was just a completely surprise for me to see it there which is why I went with this one.
ErikNZ

Postby Tommy on Sat 04 Nov 2017, 10:46 am

Nice idea for a thread, Chris. I was thinking about making the very same!

Shame it's limited to just one photograph, I bet some people have absolute gems hidden on their hard drives (awaits Sam to post something from NK).

I've seen plenty of really rare stuff, but I guess "rare" is a matter of perspective.

My rarest catch was a Venezuelan Mi-26 Halo whilst I was over there several years ago. Sadly sans camera, though I did take a very shaky video of it, which I'll have to dig out.

But, for photos, I'll settle with something closer to home - very seldom seen away from their base at Frosinone, and utterly beautiful little buggers, Italian Air Force NH-500s:

ImageFrosi-Copter by Tom Jones, on Flickr
Tommy
UKAR Staff

Postby neville on Sat 04 Nov 2017, 10:59 am

Got a shot of a Togo AF Buffalo at a pretty exotic location, i think it was Baginton, but sadly can't find the slide!!!
neville

Postby CJS on Sat 04 Nov 2017, 12:37 pm

I get what you mean Tom but just thought limiting to one photo might make people think a bit more about it - which seems like it might be the case.

Fascinating selection so far! Rob how did your flight in the Bolivian f-27 come about? It was just sat there when we landed in Rurrenebaque in 2014 so I snapped it quick!
CJS

Postby warferry on Sat 04 Nov 2017, 2:59 pm

Probable that I have a few but this one springs to mind as it was as it was flying at Lepe on Southampton water in 1977.

warferry

Postby RobS on Sat 04 Nov 2017, 3:57 pm

CJS wrote:Fascinating selection so far! Rob how did your flight in the Bolivian f-27 come about? It was just sat there when we landed in Rurrenebaque in 2014 so I snapped it quick!

In 1997 I travelled from La Paz to 'Rurre' by bus, via the Yungas road. That is (or was) one of the most dangerous routes in the world. I got really scared, sitting in the back of that bus looking down bottomless ravines. Immediately after arrival in Rurre I booked a flight back to La Paz. That was done a few days later by F-27 FAB-91, still in old colours.
RobS

Postby Dr Cake on Sat 04 Nov 2017, 6:19 pm

Not that rare but I think they've only got one:

Swiss Federal Office of Topography Twin Otter

ImageIMG_7513 by Dr Cake, on Flickr

ImageIMG_7515 by Dr Cake, on Flickr

ImageIMG_7641 by Dr Cake, on Flickr

ImageIMG_7646 by Dr Cake, on Flickr

Rich
Dr Cake