Scampton Airshow 2018

Re: Scampton Airshow 2018

Postby Finningley Boy on Tue 11 Dec 2018, 12:06 pm

Tommy wrote:Several weeks, but:

Finningley Boy wrote:Makes you wonder just what hell's going on?

Probably nothing. That's the thing.

I'm almost always wrong about everything, but if I were to predict anything, the next news story will probably be Scampton's death knell. Or a halfway-house non-committal "postponed until further announcement" type of release.

A great shame. I really wanted this event to do well.

Ditto Tommy, Ditto!

FB
I have danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings!
Finningley Boy

Postby BossMann on Wed 12 Dec 2018, 6:13 pm

Finningley Boy wrote:
Tommy wrote:Several weeks, but:

Finningley Boy wrote:Makes you wonder just what hell's going on?

Probably nothing. That's the thing.

I'm almost always wrong about everything, but if I were to predict anything, the next news story will probably be Scampton's death knell. Or a halfway-house non-committal "postponed until further announcement" type of release.

A great shame. I really wanted this event to do well.

Ditto Tommy, Ditto!

FB

As one of this events' supporters on here I really wanted this show to do well and succeed in replacing the RAF Waddington Airshow. However even I don't think that RAFCTE will either bring this show back or a replacement in the 'East of England' somewhere given RAF Scamptons closure.

Only the FRIAT members can ask what the plans are for this at the next FRIAT forum as this shows website/ fb page have now gone.

It would be good if RAFCTE could just say this in a statement. 'We tried. We failed. No More. Come to RIAT'

Part of me feels that if the 'old organising team' at RAF Waddington that were still in post had been asked to manage this show it could have been a 'Waddington down the road at RAF Scampton' with a smaller static display. However the RAF chose to go with RAFCTE - don't know why? Now the Waddington team have all gone there separate ways - Thank you SilentFlight et al for all the shows that you gave us at Waddington

At least we still have RIAT and Yeovilton in the south of the country for all the military airshow fans.
BossMann

Postby Finningley Boy on Thu 13 Dec 2018, 7:37 am

Indeed Boss Man,

How quickly we've reduced to just two military events, ok three if you include Cosford. But over the last 28 years its been a constant contraction since 1990. Just five years ago; Leuchars, Waddington, Cosford, Yeovilton, Culdrose and RIAT, and if its worth a mention, the Red Arrows still flying their full display over Farnborough. 1990; Abingdon, Finningley, Leuchars, St Athan (At Homes), St Mawgan, Cosford, Coningsby, Chivenor, Brawdy RAF Open Days, Yeovilton, Culdrose, Lee on Solent Naval Air Days, Mildenhall, Lakenheath, Bentwaters USAF open days. Boscombe Down RAFBFE organised official Battle of Britain Air Show, Farnborough (when it was something to shout about still with three public days. Church Fenton SSAFA and then all the rest of the civilian organised events. Not to mention eight or nine RAF FJ solos, Nimrod, Hercules, Shackleton, Canberras etc. oh, and Vulcan still. RN Sea Harrier and all there was from overseas and a 160+ aircraft flypast over Buck House and Abingdon. It certainly did the wallet no good at all.

All against the back drop of Defence cuts (options for change) and the military build up in the Middle East following Saddam's invasion of Kuwait!

FB
I have danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings!
Finningley Boy

Previous

Return to Scampton Airshow