RAF Scampton Air Show 2017

For any UK event that does not have its own forum
CJS

Re: RAF Scampton air show?

Post by CJS »

n0143773 wrote:It will never happen. Fact. Just like the time I told you all waddington wasn't coming back. This is the same level of fact.

I love facts like this, they're the best kind :wink:

S/he has gone a little bit quiet haven't they? No doubt they'll pop up soon enough with a most magnanimous :pinkwafer: for us :whistle:

Wissam24 wrote:Superb news for many different reasons. :clap: :clap:

Now, fellas...don't be too smug

Please?
"There's only one way of life, and that's your own"

st24

Re: RAF Scampton Air Show 2017?

Post by st24 »

A40-BP wrote:Wheres the car park? ;)

A40

Where's the fair?? :snack: :icecream: :cool: :hypno:
You caaan't trust the system... Maaan!

Wes_Howes

Post by Wes_Howes »

Plenty of grass for that, just like at Cosford :biggrin:

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

The trouble is with this news, is that some desperado will post a wish list next :hypno: :dizzy: :facepalm: :cuppa:
"The surrogate voice of st24"

My flickr photos https://www.flickr.com/photos/146673712@N06/

Wes_Howes

Post by Wes_Howes »

And someone will :sleepy: about the Reds being in the flying display

Wrexham Mackem
UKAR Staff

Post by Wrexham Mackem »

A new event at an RAF station - lets be honest many of us didn't think we'd see that happen again.

Welcome news, whatever size or shape the event turns out to be. I'm also quite pleased that a September date appears to be on the cards, rather then shoehorning something else into July.

harkins

Re: RAF Scampton Air Show 2017

Post by harkins »

I don't know which is the best thing about this; the news that there is going to be an RAF airshow returning and hopefully as soon as next September or the schadenfreude we can all indulge in.

As a point of caution, until the tickets are printed this is still just an intention, but it's a much better place than we were when they announced the end of the Waddington shows (which I may add was a very safe bet).

Is it safe to assume that it will be much closer to the Cosford end of the scale than the RIAT end? I also assume that this won't lead to any money being spent on the base to revamp any infrastructure. Or could there be any other plans in the pipeline for Scampton's normal activities?

adamp89

Post by adamp89 »

chances are, it'll be smaller than waddo was, and it will replace the families day, which was early september anyway, whether they're just rebranding the families day and opening it up to the public, I dont know (but i hope not, as that surely wouldnt be viable due to how small that event was)

if its being run by the same people as RIAT, hopefully, their reputation/ influence will rub off and we'll get some interesting displays (well, we can dream at least...)
Adam

Finningley Boy

Post by Finningley Boy »

Spock wrote:Just seen this.

http://thelincolnite.co.uk/2016/02/new- ... n-in-2017/

Not sure if it could be held on the same scale as Waddington given the structure & layout of the Airfeild.

Wouldn't have the capacity to park as many spectators or exhibit static aircraft.

Hope to be proved wrong though.

:biggrin:

How come? isn't it a bigger airfield with a longer runway then Cosford? :cuppa:

FB :biggrin:
I have danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings!

craig.mason

Post by craig.mason »

'It's got potential to host a large event' - Former RAF pilot says Scampton air show could be AS big
http://m.lincolnshireecho.co.uk/s-got-p ... story.html
Canon 550D
EF-S 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 IS II Lens
EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS II
EF 75-300mm f/4.0-5.6 III USM

vulcan55

Post by vulcan55 »

Well what a day in Lincolnshire Home of Bomber County To be told we are to get an Airshow back in the county at RAF SCAMPTON.When Final plans are approved buy all bodies.This I did not think would Happen in all Honesty when I read a comment on this thread so do not believe every thing you read I suppose.Would just Like to say a big Thank you to all at Waddington for there Twenty Shows and hope RAFCT Can pick up the Mantle and go Forward with there Plans for SCAMPTON. 2017 :clap: :cool:

andrewn

Post by andrewn »

Great news - I admit I was one of the doubters!

Flare Path

Post by Flare Path »

BossMann wrote:RAF Scampton Air Show WILL be happening in 2017!!

Awesome news - organised by RAFCTE !! RIAT times two?

A reality check. They have helped both Cosford and East Fortune, I believe. This won't be on the same level as the Air Tattoo, but the additional expertise will go a long way.

Homer

Post by Homer »

Great news and whilst I won't actually believe it until I can buy a ticket I'd just like to repeat myself.

n0143773 wrote:
Homer wrote:
n0143773 wrote:The beautiful thing about these forums is the posts will never disappear.

But anonymous posters can disappear, which means pretty much anyone can turn up and say anything with no comeback.

BossMann

Post by BossMann »

Flare Path wrote:
BossMann wrote:RAF Scampton Air Show WILL be happening in 2017!!

Awesome news - organised by RAFCTE !! RIAT times two?

A reality check. They have helped both Cosford and East Fortune, I believe. This won't be on the same level as the Air Tattoo, but the additional expertise will go a long way.

adamp89 wrote:chances are, it'll be smaller than waddo was, and it will replace the families day, which was early september anyway, whether they're just rebranding the families day and opening it up to the public, I dont know (but i hope not, as that surely wouldnt be viable due to how small that event was)

if its being run by the same people as RIAT, hopefully, their reputation/ influence will rub off and we'll get some interesting displays (well, we can dream at least...)

I am still totally thrilled by this news - being one of the 'few' supporters of the new potential show at RAF Scampton - some of the people on this forum especially n0143773 had almost made me give up hope of a return of the RAF's International Air Show

Anyways the RAFCTE are actually organising this new show from scratch, at least that what is suggests on the new show's website, rather than 'helping' an existing show like East Fortune and Cosford, but see what even the little help has done to the latter 2 ( Team PC7 and the foreign displays at Cosford in 2015), remember the old Eastbourne shows that RIAT organised? Belgian and Dutch F16s, French Mirage 2000, Dutch PC7, Jordanian Falcons and the USAF B1B??. Therefore this new show has the potential to be a 'tattoo' style of show - at least in terms of the flying displays.

Why does the new show have to be like RAF Cosford and not like the old RAF Waddington show? The airfield at Scampton is much larger than Cosford with a decent sized runway that is capable of most display aircraft, throw in the parking off base at the Lincolnshire showground then it is already bigger than Cosford.

We have already established on this forum (I think on the waddo future forum??) that RAF Scampton can host fast jets, training types but also some medium heavy types such as C130, A400M and C17 as they have all operated from the base already so whilst the static may not be lines of KC135s like at Fairford, they can still get a decent array of aircraft in there.

So hopefully tattoo style flying display with longer runway than Cosford + more static and ground displays than Cosford + more space on the airfield with offsite parking + home of Red Arrows = totally different show to RAF Cosford, the New RAF Scampton Airshow.

The only problem that this show faces in establishing itself is competition from the European shows for foreign displays in September 2017. The Czech Air Fest normally takes the 1st weekend in september (Rivolton and AirPower also seem to go for the 1st weekend in september too), Sanicole has already announced that it will be on the 2nd weekend in september 2017 and the NATO Days in Ostrava are usally the weekend after sanicole. So which airshow will the RAFCTE choose to clash their new show with?? Plus there is also the potential of clashes in the UK with the Scottish Airshow/ Portrush/ Southport and Duxford. Tough decision ahead...

Whatever happens I am thrilled that we have the RAF's main show back and with the weight and influence of the RAFCTE behind it, it looks promising!

WG655
UKAR Staff

Post by WG655 »

Featured on Look North last night, including words from Andy Armstrong:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_yVKjMMmkQ[/youtube]

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

BossMann wrote:
Anyways the RAFCTE are actually organising this new show from scratch, at least that what is suggests on the new show's website, rather than 'helping' an existing show like East Fortune and Cosford, but see what even the little help has done to the latter 2 ( Team PC7 and the foreign displays at Cosford in 2015), remember the old Eastbourne shows that RIAT organised? Belgian and Dutch F16s, French Mirage 2000, Dutch PC7, Jordanian Falcons and the USAF B-1B??. Therefore this new show has the potential to be a 'tattoo' style of show - at least in terms of the flying displays.

I think you've got a little too much wishful thinking at this stage - Can't speak for East Fortune, but RAFCTE's involvement is more than you think at Cosford. It's not merely "helping" but rather a complex quasi-civil/military structure, and the foreign displays at Cosford in 2015 were great, but as a result of much more effort and focus being put into them. RAFCTE have been involved in the running of Cosford since 2012, so increases in foreign participation don't happen overnight.

Don't get me wrong, with RAFCTE doing the work at Scampton and putting their tremendous wealth of event-experience to the fore, it's the best start they could hope to get, but don't expect a RIAT Mk.2 overnight. I think that it will take some years to find their feet, both in terms of working out logistics, traffic, health and safety, pricing, sponsors, establishing network contacts inside and outside of the military... etc (and that's completely fine and understandable!).

Overall, though, I agree with you, it's great news. The RAF is in sore need of (at least) a second airshow these days to be able to keep up with their public engagement mission.

PeterR

Post by PeterR »

Tommy wrote:I think you've got a little too much wishful thinking at this stage - Can't speak for East Fortune, but RAFCTE's involvement is more than you think at Cosford. It's not merely "helping" but rather a complex quasi-civil/military structure, and the foreign displays at Cosford in 2015 were great, but as a result of much more effort and focus being put into them. RAFCTE have been involved in the running of Cosford since 2012, so increases in foreign participation don't happen overnight.

True it's a very complex civil/military structure, but RAFCTE only supply RAF Cosford with a 'SQEP' Air Show Director and provide advice/support on the commercial side. The operations side of the Air Show is run directly from the Air Show Office at RAF Cosford with staff employed from the Air Show Office budget and not that of RAFCTE's.

Beefy

Re: RAF Scampton Air Show 2017?

Post by Beefy »

MarkL wrote:
pb643 wrote: The other was notable for the Russian An72 on static? I also remember seeing the EAP at one, I suspect the first. Anyone care to jog my memory.

This was the beasty. I had no idea it was going to be there as info was rubbish back then, but somehow turning up and and finding gems like this seemed to make it all the more pleasurable. Some lovely Hunters there that day as well.

Sorry to go off topic.

I have this show dated 13/07/1991

It must have been held over two days in '91 Mark as I have the date as the 14th July and photographed the AN-72 in some lovely sunshine! It was also the final occasion on which I photographed the tin triangle. Very small static display - Tucano, a couple of marks of JP, Jetstream, a Lakenheath Swinger, Bitburg Eagle, RAF E-3D, Jaguar, Sea Harrier and a couple of Danish F-35s (yes, proper F-35s :biggrin:) and that was about it.

Yes, it was fun not knowing what would be there before turning up but I have to say it was the worst show I've ever been to.

BossMann

Post by BossMann »

Looks like the RIAT model of the show being supported by an army of volunteers (the RIAT Crew) is being suggested for the new RAF Scampton Show.

The article in the Lincolnshire Echo also suggests that the RAF Scampton show will be a different slightly smaller event to RIAT.

Andy Armstrong, chief executive of RAFCTE, told the Echo: "We have experience in running the tattoo at Fairford and what we want to do is create a new and unique air show at Scampton.

"It's happening in its centenary year, it's the home of the Red Arrows and it has fabulous history with the Dambusters.

"One of the main aims of our organisation is to encourage youth interest in aviation, not just flying, but also engineering.

"Under 16s will get in free and we envisage the show will be held over at least one day

Read more: http://www.lincolnshireecho.co.uk/Scamp ... z40vja7eEe

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

BossMann wrote: "Under 16s will get in free and we envisage the show will be held over at least one day

As opposed to a show being held over no days? :hypno: Surely at least one day is the bare minimum for a show to be held? :grin:
"The surrogate voice of st24"

My flickr photos https://www.flickr.com/photos/146673712@N06/

BossMann

Post by BossMann »

capercaillie wrote:
BossMann wrote: "Under 16s will get in free and we envisage the show will be held over at least one day

As opposed to a show being held over no days? :hypno: Surely at least one day is the bare minimum for a show to be held? :grin:

I wonder if this is suggesting that they have yet to decide if it is going to be a one day airshow (like Cosford/ Finingley/ Leuchars etc..) or if they will go for a full 2 day weekend airshow like the old RAF Waddington Show/ RIAT.

I hope that it is over 2 days - gives more people a chance to come especially considering more people attended the RAF Waddington shows compared to RIAT (in 2012??) so there would be demand for a full 2 day show even with advance ticketing (as with the RIAT model).

BossMann

Post by BossMann »

Taken from an article in the Lincolshire Echo:
"Organisers say Scampton 2017 could be held over more than one day and will showcase displays from across the world."

Sounds promising!

Read more: http://www.lincolnshireecho.co.uk/Boost ... z41wYZteyA

BossMann

Post by BossMann »

Some information on the Scampton show post the news about the shoreham report

Well at least its still saying it is going to happen!

Would any new show at RAF Scampton be under the MAA regulations or the CAA regulations given that the RAFCTE are organising it? What is the set up at Fairford?

http://www.lincolnshireecho.co.uk/Scamp ... story.html

MRTT

Post by MRTT »

BossMann wrote:Some information on the Scampton show post the news about the shoreham report

Well at least its still saying it is going to happen!

Would any new show at RAF Scampton be under the MAA regulations or the CAA regulations given that the RAFCTE are organising it? What is the set up at Fairford?

http://www.lincolnshireecho.co.uk/Scamp ... story.html

Scampton will be run under MAA rulings.
2016 Shows
Duxford Spring
Weston
Cosford
Yeovilton
RIAT
Bournemouth
Jersey