RAF Scampton Air Show 2017

For any UK event that does not have its own forum
BossMann

Re: RAF Scampton Air Show 2017

Post by BossMann »

Sadly SoloTurk has Sanicole on its calendar for this year..... Would have been nice to see it at Scampton. We will still get to see it in uk though at Scamptons sister show at RAF Fairford so at least DBH managed to get it again this year.

I hope Scampton will get some more foreign stuff soon...

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

BossMann wrote:We will still get to see it in uk though at Scamptons sister show at RAF Fairford

"Scampton's sister show", I think, is overstating it considerably.

BossMann

Post by BossMann »

Tommy wrote:
BossMann wrote:We will still get to see it in uk though at Scamptons sister show at RAF Fairford

Sorry what I meant to say was Scamptons big brother show - only because they both are staged and organised by the RAFCTE and the team at DBH that do such a brilliant job with RIAT ,

Anyway Frecce Tricolori also going to Sanicole, which means so far the Reds won't be joined by any of their national aerobatic team counterparts unless they are 'shared' and display at Scampton on Saturday....

tu16

Post by tu16 »

"Anyway Frecce Tricolori also going to Sanicole, which means so far the Reds won't be joined by any of their national aerobatic team counterparts unless they are 'shared' and display at Scampton on Saturday...."

Have Patrulla Aguila released their dates yet?.....

Spotty_Jag

Post by Spotty_Jag »

Spanish schedule is out already, EF-18A to RIAT is only UK appearance.

Off the top of my head the following (well established) European teams are yet to release their schedules for 2017;
Belgian Red Devils, Croatian Wings of Storm, Danish Baby Blue, Finland Midnight Hawks, Polish Team Orlik.

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

BossMann wrote:
Tommy wrote:

Sorry what I meant to say was Scamptons big brother show - only because they both are staged and organised by the RAFCTE and the team at DBH that do such a brilliant job with RIAT ,

Pete will probably lynch me if I'm wrong, but the RAF Cosford Airshow is also organised by RAFCTE, too.

Don't expect a RIAT-lite just because RAFCTE has a hand in organising the show, is all I'm saying. :smile:

clearstone

Post by clearstone »

Prepared to be lynched then!

But you are absolutely spot on with your "RIAT-lite" comment. There are other events that RIAT (or its Air Tattoo Event Services arm - ATES) has a hand in, not least East Fortune. And none of them have turned into 'RIAT-lite' but have benefited from the experience of the Air Tattoo team.

PeterR

Post by PeterR »

Tommy wrote:Pete will probably lynch me if I'm wrong, but the RAF Cosford Airshow is also organised by RAFCTE, too.

RAF Cosford Air Show is a little different. Yes the Air Show Director is provided as part of a contract with RAFCTE to provide a Subject Matter Expert, but the rest of the Air Show Office team are employed locally by RAF Cosford. Likewise we have an Air Show Chairman (Wing Commander who holds the legal responsibility of Event Organiser) plus all the military Project Managers and Project Officers, under the direction of the RAF. So really the event isn't "organised by RAFCTE" but they do play a part in helping it happen. This is a polar opposite to Scampton Airshow, which is managed directly by RAFCTE.

ScamptonMarketing

Post by ScamptonMarketing »

Scampton Airshow is managed by Scampton Airshow Limited, a Company, Registration No 10233810, limited by shares, gifting profits to The Royal Air Force Charitable Trust. It currently employs the Airshow Director and four additional full time members of staff based at the Airshow Office at RAF Scampton. RAFCTE organises the Royal International Air Tattoo, RAF in Concert Tour and provides consultancy through Air Tattoo Events Services (ATES). RAFCTE provides support, assistance and advice to Scampton Airshow Limited but is not the lead on the organisation or management of the show.

BossMann

Post by BossMann »

ScamptonMarketing wrote:Scampton Airshow is managed by Scampton Airshow Limited, a Company, Registration No 10233810, limited by shares, gifting profits to The Royal Air Force Charitable Trust. It currently employs the Airshow Director and four additional full time members of staff based at the Airshow Office at RAF Scampton. RAFCTE organises the Royal International Air Tattoo, RAF in Concert Tour and provides consultancy through Air Tattoo Events Services (ATES). RAFCTE provides support, assistance and advice to Scampton Airshow Limited but is not the lead on the organisation or management of the show.

Thanks ScamptonMarketing for clarifying this. One question - who is responsible for the aircraft procurement the local Scampton Airshpw team or the RIAT guys at DBH???

john001

Post by john001 »

ScamptonMarketing wrote:Scampton Airshow is managed by Scampton Airshow Limited, a Company, Registration No 10233810, limited by shares, gifting profits to The Royal Air Force Charitable Trust. It currently employs the Airshow Director and four additional full time members of staff based at the Airshow Office at RAF Scampton. RAFCTE organises the Royal International Air Tattoo, RAF in Concert Tour and provides consultancy through Air Tattoo Events Services (ATES). RAFCTE provides support, assistance and advice to Scampton Airshow Limited but is not the lead on the organisation or management of the show.

Has not the RAFCTE also provided a 144,500 pounds grant - its largest for anything - to the Scampton air show?

ScamptonMarketing

Post by ScamptonMarketing »

The Royal Air Force Charitable Trust is a charity that awards grants to projects most closely aligned to the charitable objectives. In 2015/16 it awarded its largest ever grant of £144,500 for a Tecnam aircraft to the RAF Flying Clubs Association, not to Scampton Airshow.

The Royal Air Force Charitable Trust Enterprises is the company that organises the Royal International Air Tattoo, RAF in Concert Tour and consultancy through ATES, and does not provide grants in any form.

john001

Post by john001 »

ScamptonMarketing wrote:The Royal Air Force Charitable Trust is a charity that awards grants to projects most closely aligned to the charitable objectives. In 2015/16 it awarded its largest ever grant of £144,500 for a Tecnam aircraft to the RAF Flying Clubs Association, not to Scampton Airshow.

The Royal Air Force Charitable Trust Enterprises is the company that organises the Royal International Air Tattoo, RAF in Concert Tour and consultancy through ATES, and does not provide grants in any form.

I stand corrected - thanks for clarifying that - the annual report design is misleading!

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

Showground map is up... notice that the zonal layout and area naming is mimicking RIAT but on a smaller scale....

http://scamptonairshow.com/assets/pages ... 070417.pdf

Wrexham Mackem
UKAR Staff

Post by Wrexham Mackem »

Grandstand at the end of the crowd line? trying to keep an open mind here, but flipping' 'eck!!

st24

Post by st24 »

Pretty boring static- all Nimrods!... :snack: even the Reds have them!
You caaan't trust the system... Maaan!

Chrisse

Post by Chrisse »

st24 wrote:Pretty boring static- all Nimrods!... :snack: even the Reds have them!

:lol: :lol:

pb643

Post by pb643 »

Wrexham Mackem wrote:Grandstand at the end of the crowd line? trying to keep an open mind here, but flipping' 'eck!!

It's the end of the crowd line but not the end of the runway. If I understand the plan correctly, the crowd line occupies approximately the centre third of the runway only. So probably not that bad a spot?

Phil

speedbird2639

Post by speedbird2639 »

Grandstand at the end of the crowd line

Finally someone is listening to me! Now if they would just move the grandstands and villages back off the rope a bit at RIAT...

Pretty boring static- all Nimrods!... :snack: even the Reds have them!

A nine ship Nimrod display team would've been awesome!

Spotty_Jag

Post by Spotty_Jag »

ScamptonMarketing wrote:RAFCTE provides support, assistance and advice to Scampton Airshow Limited but is not the lead on the organisation or management of the show.

And this is why the showground map is in the identical format to RIAT, with the same attraction names etc? Give us a break... :confused:

iainpeden

Post by iainpeden »

boff180 wrote:Showground map is up... notice that the zonal layout and area naming is mimicking RIAT but on a smaller scale....

http://scamptonairshow.com/assets/pages ... 070417.pdf

Matching up the map to a Bing aerial shot makes me think the following:
With parking being at the showground, the public entrances are in the middle of the airfield and at the opposite end of the airfield meaning a coach ride which goes onto the main road or a fair walk.
There will be a flight line on the disused runway to the south of the main runway and next to the grandstand; even more important to have the ear defenders if your seat is to the left of the grandstand.
Potentially some on field parking at the North East end or park in fields and a bridge over the main road as there used to be at Fairford.

Good luck but I have my ticket for sanicole already.
(Mark Twain: There are lies, there are damn lies and then there are statistics)

st24

Post by st24 »

iainpeden wrote:
Good luck but I have my ticket for sanicole already.

And for good reason - the list of available foreign displays gets shorter on a seemingly daily basis......
You caaan't trust the system... Maaan!

iainpeden

Post by iainpeden »

This is speculation but is the organisational link between Scampton and Fairford going against the former with overseas air arms being unwilling to send participants twice for the same UK organisation in one year?
(Mark Twain: There are lies, there are damn lies and then there are statistics)

BossMann

Post by BossMann »

The Lens Air Show which is same weekend as Scampton has the Canadian Armed Forces F18 demo! If only Scampton could 'share' this - would be awesome....

Chrisse

Post by Chrisse »

It's not the demo :)