RAF Scampton Air Show 2017

For any UK event that does not have its own forum
BossMann

Re: RAF Scampton Air Show 2017

Post by BossMann »

Brietling Jet Team also headed to Sanicole :(

Hopefully the Scampton Airshow guys will be able to confirm something soon .....

craig.mason

Post by craig.mason »

I agree bossman some nice stuff going to sanicole and not a peep out of scampton
Canon 550D
EF-S 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 IS II Lens
EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS II
EF 75-300mm f/4.0-5.6 III USM

CJS

Post by CJS »

Scampton are not being unusual in not confirming anything just yet. RIAT is in July - first confirmations (the Thunderbirds excepted) in Feb so I would imagine confirmations for Scampton won't start in earnest til April. RAF assets are usually announced sooner though I think.

Don't panic people, don't panic. :-)
Buy the sky and sell the sky and lift your arms up to the sky and ask the sky"

pb643

Post by pb643 »

CJS wrote:Scampton are not being unusual in not confirming anything just yet. RIAT is in July - first confirmations (the Thunderbirds excepted) in Feb so I would imagine confirmations for Scampton won't start in earnest til April. RAF assets are usually announced sooner though I think.

Don't panic people, don't panic. :-)

On the whole participants release details of shows for the whole season (barring a few tweeks). So would you not think that Scampton are working to a similar timescale to RIAT or any other show, as far as military participants are concerned? Paid for acts can always be added at short notice I assume.

BossMann

Post by BossMann »

Swedish Air Force Gripen display going to Sanicole too - another one bites the dust.

Biggin Hill has managed to get the Patrouille de France and now Belgian F16 display..

Meanwhile Scampton Airshow - RIATs 'sister' show has only the Catalina so far...

AngryAndyPandy

Post by AngryAndyPandy »

Just be patient! Yes it's frustrating having nothing confirmed yet, but what is the point in judging one show on the strength of another? Yes Sanicole looks good, but why does that mean Scampton won't be good? Stay calm and time will tell.

Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Post by Wissam24 »

It's not about judging it based on another show, it's about judging it based on what it can now offer for the price they are charging for the tickets
Twitter: @samwise24 | Flickr: samwise24 | Shamelessly copying LN Strike Eagle's avatar ideas since 2016

st24

Post by st24 »

Wissam24 wrote:It's not about judging it based on another show, it's about judging it based on what it can now offer for the price they are charging for the tickets

Indeed and allowing people to decide whether to book/budget for holiday/accommodation/fuel/food etc etc - it all adds up. Anyone thinking of going to Sanicole can already make up their mind - it's a classy line up already with 6 or so months to go.
You caaan't trust the system... Maaan!

craig.mason

Post by craig.mason »

royal Jordanian falcons going to sanicole that's another asset scampton has missed out on http://www.sanicole.com/index.php/en/ :mad:
Canon 550D
EF-S 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 IS II Lens
EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS II
EF 75-300mm f/4.0-5.6 III USM

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

craig.mason wrote:royal Jordanian falcons going to sanicole that's another asset scampton has missed out on http://www.sanicole.com/index.php/en/ :mad:

How do you know some acts aren't appearing at both shows Craig? :dunno:
"The surrogate voice of st24"

My flickr photos https://www.flickr.com/photos/146673712@N06/

st24

Post by st24 »

I'd hope the RAF Typhoon is doing both as it's down for Friday night and Sunday at Sanicole and one would imagine it should really be at Scampton too! That's a busy old weekend for the boys 'n girls... Surely (say) the Belgian F-16 could return the favour... :confused:

The Baron

Post by The Baron »

st24 wrote:I'd hope the RAF Typhoon is doing both as it's down for Friday night and Sunday at Sanicole and one would imagine it should really be at Scampton too! That's a busy old weekend for the boys 'n girls... Surely (say) the Belgian F-16 could return the favour... :confused:

The Typhoon is only attending Sanicole on the Friday.
Loafer for Mr. Da Vinci.

st24

Post by st24 »

The Baron wrote:
st24 wrote:I'd hope the RAF Typhoon is doing both as it's down for Friday night and Sunday at Sanicole and one would imagine it should really be at Scampton too! That's a busy old weekend for the boys 'n girls... Surely (say) the Belgian F-16 could return the favour... :confused:

The Typhoon is only attending Sanicole on the Friday.

Note to self- must pay more attention to previous Sanicole posts.......

Spotty_Jag

Post by Spotty_Jag »

capercaillie wrote:How do you know some acts aren't appearing at both shows Craig? :dunno:

I don't buy that one at all. If an Air Force is sending an asset to Belgium, I doubt they'll want it flying to/from Scampton all weekend. If they wanted it at Scampton they'd have sent it there in the first place.

borismorris

Post by borismorris »

How long would it take from Scampton to Sanicole (or vice versa)?
It's only 400 miles by car so surely it's not beyond the realms of fantasy...
It's not exactly halfway across the world is it?

iaint
UKAR Staff

Post by iaint »

Spotty_Jag wrote:
capercaillie wrote:How do you know some acts aren't appearing at both shows Craig? :dunno:

I don't buy that one at all. If an Air Force is sending an asset to Belgium, I doubt they'll want it flying to/from Scampton all weekend. If they wanted it at Scampton they'd have sent it there in the first place.

There's precedent, which I'm pretty sure has already been mentioned, as Waddington has shared a display act or two with continental shows (e.g. Koksijde?)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/iainthomson84/

End of Message, End of Broadcast

Wrexham Mackem
UKAR Staff

Post by Wrexham Mackem »

iaint wrote:
Spotty_Jag wrote:

There's precedent, which I'm pretty sure has already been mentioned, as Waddington has shared a display act or two with continental shows (e.g. Koksijde?)

Indeed, there's precedent of touring acts all season, everywhere. Between these two venues, there is a very reasonable distance. Totally doable.

Stagger2

Post by Stagger2 »

"Royal Jordanian Falcons going to Sanicole, that's another asset Scampton has missed-out on!"
Well, up to that point visiting Sanicole was a no-brainer. Scampton sure does get all the luck, eh! :whistle:

Wes_Howes

Post by Wes_Howes »

I'm not sure the RJF are going to cross the North Sea to display but acts like the Belgian F-16, Swedish Gripen, Patrouille Suisse... could do two displays a day so all is not lost for Scampton plus, if they're operating from Kleine Brogel, there's more room at Scampton for other acts.

Chris G

Post by Chris G »

Have you ever seen a foreign fast jet or team do 2 displays on the same day. In 25 years of attending shows i can only remember seeing RAF assets do that.

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

Chris G wrote:Have you ever seen a foreign fast jet or team do 2 displays on the same day. In 25 years of attending shows i can only remember seeing RAF assets do that.

Yes - 2010

Belgian F-16 solo doing Beauvechain and Waddo on the same day.

Arriving at Waddo in style in formation with the Belgian Air Force A330 (also from the other show).

Chris G

Post by Chris G »

boff180 wrote:
Chris G wrote:Have you ever seen a foreign fast jet or team do 2 displays on the same day. In 25 years of attending shows i can only remember seeing RAF assets do that.

Yes - 2010

Belgian F-16 solo doing Beauvechain and Waddo on the same day.

Arriving at Waddo in style in formation with the Belgian Air Force A330 (also from the other show).

Ok, fair enough, i was actually at Waddo for that d'oh. But you get the point i'm trying to make.

frank

Post by frank »

Israeli F15I at Waddington perhaps :whistle:

Finningley Boy

Post by Finningley Boy »

Here's a couple of olden Golden examples; 1971: Canadian F-104 team at Abingdon and Finningley. 1972: Canadian F-104 team St Mawgan, St Athan and Biggin Hill. 1978: USAF F-15, Dutch F-104 and NF-5 solos at Finningley and Leuchars.

Note that the F-104 and F-5, both feature in these examples predominantly, shows how deployed military aircraft, not famous for their long legs, have not fought shy of travelling around a foreign host country to burn off a fuel load strutting their stuff in the past! :cuppa:

One more example; 1965: Team of five F-100s (RDAF) operating from Waddington, to display there and over Acklington and Leuchars. :cool:

FB :biggrin:
I have danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings!

CJS

Post by CJS »

Didn't the Raptor display at both RIAT and Duxford just last year?
Buy the sky and sell the sky and lift your arms up to the sky and ask the sky"