RAF Scampton Air Show 2017

For any UK event that does not have its own forum
BossMann

RAF Scampton Air Show 2017

Post by BossMann »

With official confirmation that the RAF Waddington International Air Show has gone and will not be coming back, there has been the suggestion of a new show at RAF Scampton to take over from RAF Waddington from 2017 onwards.

So I thought lets have a topic specifically where we can discuss and collect rumours regarding the potential new show, whether or not it actually happens in 2017 ( I personally hope it will as I was a huge fan of the RAF Waddington shows ).

This week Lord Howe, the Minister of State for the Ministry of Defence, has written to Sir Edward Leigh, MP for Gainsborough, to confirm that RAF Scampton could be the home of the county’s air show.

Full story:
http://thelincolnite.co.uk/2015/11/defe ... from-2017/

Slappywag

Re: RAF Scampton Air Show 2017?

Post by Slappywag »

It's not happening.

End.

XP282

Post by XP282 »

Slappywag wrote:It's not happening.

End.

You seem very sure of that? Do you know something we don't?

BossMann

Post by BossMann »

No one really knows if a new show in 2017 will actually happen but its nice to see the press/ media actually being supportive with the potential new idea. The local council also seem to be throwing their weight behind it as well as the Lincolnshire Showground which has been suggested as the main parking area with shuttle buses going to the airfield. Now all we need is the RAF/ RAFCTE (organisers of RIAT) to throw their weight behind this and it is a real possibility.

Some more from the Worksop Guardian:
http://www.worksopguardian.co.uk/news/l ... -1-7587637

n0143773

Post by n0143773 »

Slappywag wrote:It's not happening.

End.

:up:

craig.mason

Post by craig.mason »

I hope we do get an airshow as most of the big ones are in southern england
Canon 550D
EF-S 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 IS II Lens
EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS II
EF 75-300mm f/4.0-5.6 III USM

reheat module

Post by reheat module »

Any further hints of rumours or maybes of possibilities?
after all, its nearly next year.....
:sleepy:
Canon systems

n0143773

Post by n0143773 »

It will never happen. Fact. Just like the time I told you all waddington wasn't coming back. This is the same level of fact.

reheat module

Post by reheat module »

n0143773 wrote:It will never happen. Fact. Just like the time I told you all waddington wasn't coming back. This is the same level of fact.

^^^^^
You know that, I know that, but there's no better sport than prodding the non-believers...
Canon systems

john001

Post by john001 »

Not even when the BBMF relocates?

Finningley Boy

Post by Finningley Boy »

To the two in the know,

A serious question if I may, as you both know, what is it you both understand to be the reason and why has it been suggested to local businesses, who have openly expressed their support in advance, that such an event will happen. I'd be interested to hear both why it won't or can't happen and why the idea has been given such a degree of credibility by the RAF's public communications staff? Would it not make for a smoother ride to simply say a further review will be conducted to look at the possibility/feasability of resuming the hitherto Waddington airshow. So don't reply with some patronizing line about letting the spotters down gently. After all, no143773 and reheat module, you both joined this forum presumably because you harbour similar interests to everyone else, so just what are your excuses for the bleak cloak and dagger routine and the cheek to suggest you're each in a position to regard your fellow forum members as fragile wishful thinkers. Do please explain, I for one would be fascinated to know.

FB :biggrin:
I have danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings!

andrewn

Post by andrewn »

FB,

One sensible reason why Scampton is a non-starter is that large parts of the airfield are effectively "condemned", for a start many of the hard-standings and taxiways that visiting aircraft would need to use and large parts of the base in general are decaying, and would be a H&S hazard to any large scale influx of joe public. Another is lack of manning as unlike Waddington, Scampton is run by a Skeleton staff with minimal military presence on-site. Bussing them in from Waddington sounds feasible, but remember part of the reason Waddo got canned was basically cos the Air Day soaked up too much resource.

In my view its nothing but a cheap and very cynical attempt by UK MoD to placate local businesses/Joe Public, with little or no chance of becoming reality.

Realistically Waddo is the only game in town for the RAF to hold a major public display and now that's gone we're stuck!

Sorry to be so negative, but that's how I see it.

CJS

Post by CJS »

Well Cosford manage to put on a show every year - nothing fast and pointy can land there and it's hardly the busiest RAF base in the country but they manage it.

I appreciate that sometimes people are in the know but have their hands tied by those in much higher places and are therefore unable to spill the beans but I agree with FB, if you're going to present something as fact, it's frustrating when you're not prepared to back it up with evidence.

Still, at least you get to say "I told you so" when you turn out to be correct, so that's good. ;-)
Last edited by CJS on Wed 20 Jan 2016, 7:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
"There's only one way of life, and that's your own"

john001

Post by john001 »

The info I saw said people would be bussed in prob from the show ground, some fast jets would fly in but not land and it was acknowledged the static would be smaller 'than might be expected'.

Wes_Howes

Post by Wes_Howes »

CJS wrote:Well Cosford manage to put on a show every year - nothing fast and pointy can land there and it's hardly the busiest RAF base in the country but they manage it.

Cosford has a large, relatively useful, resource of juniors ranks that live on base. They can be utilised for all sort of jobs, from directing the cars for parking, to clearing FOD before and after the show. When my dad was based there, he was roped in to the clearing up and he was an instructor at JSOP (he hated it :grin: )

Cosford also has the luxury of Shawbury being so close by so all the fast, pointy and larger stuff can operate from there, where there is abundant space and more than a skeleton crew, manning the base.

craig.mason

Post by craig.mason »

they could use the county's air cadets for manning the carparks and other duties needed onsite
Canon 550D
EF-S 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 IS II Lens
EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS II
EF 75-300mm f/4.0-5.6 III USM

Wes_Howes

Post by Wes_Howes »

Cosford use those too but for clearing up, those same cadets are (or should be) at school.

SilentFlight

Post by SilentFlight »

CJS wrote:
I appreciate that sometimes people are in the know but have their hands tied by those in much higher places and are therefore unable to spill the beans

:wink: exactly on the nail, there is a very detailed plan, but the RAF hold the decision, which we will all have to wait for.

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

Wes_Howes wrote:Cosford also has the luxury of Shawbury being so close by so all the fast, pointy and larger stuff can operate from there, where there is abundant space and more than a skeleton crew, manning the base.

That doesn't really work against Scampton though, Waddington and Coningsby are hardly distant! :grin:
"The surrogate voice of st24"

My flickr photos https://www.flickr.com/photos/146673712@N06/

Wes_Howes

Post by Wes_Howes »

capercaillie wrote:
Wes_Howes wrote:Cosford also has the luxury of Shawbury being so close by so all the fast, pointy and larger stuff can operate from there, where there is abundant space and more than a skeleton crew, manning the base.

That doesn't really work against Scampton though, Waddington and Coningsby are hardly distant! :grin:

Very true, I was merely offering up reasons as to why Cosford manages to plod on :wink:

PeterR

Post by PeterR »

Wes is correct in what he says, RAF Cosford is very lucky to have a large number of Junior Ranks stationed who help make the Air Show a reality.

craig.mason wrote:they could use the county's air cadets for manning the carparks and other duties needed onsite

Although a great workforce, Air Cadets cannot be used for many of the tasks required on airfield sites. Good old 'Health and Safety' prevents them from being used in many more challenging tasks. Also it's not just the weekend which requires manpower, the site build takes nearly a week of which manpower is required in many areas.

Wes_Howes wrote:Cosford use those too but for clearing up, those same cadets are (or should be) at school.

No Air Training Corps cadets are used for the FOD Plod on Monday morning, that is only stationed personnel.

st24

Post by st24 »

PeterR wrote: Good old 'Health and Safety' prevents them from being used in many more challenging tasks.

And rightly so. The vast majority are under 18 to which an extra duty of care must be demonstrated.
You caaan't trust the system... Maaan!

Finningley Boy

Post by Finningley Boy »

SilentFlight wrote:
CJS wrote:
I appreciate that sometimes people are in the know but have their hands tied by those in much higher places and are therefore unable to spill the beans

:wink: exactly on the nail, there is a very detailed plan, but the RAF hold the decision, which we will all have to wait for.

From a trusted source at least. Well I suppose we'll know one way or the other sometime in the year ahead, roll on 2017!

FB :biggrin:
I have danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings!

n0143773

Post by n0143773 »

SilentFlight wrote:
CJS wrote:

:lmao:

It's amazing really. I tell everyone that Waddington will never have an airshow again, whilst all you had to say was 'wait and see everyone, wait and see...' getting hopes up for no reason. As it happens, that round finished n0143773 1-0 SilentFlight.

Now, I am here telling everyone there will be no airshow at Scampton, whilst again, all you have to say is 'wait and see everyone, wait and see...' - hopefully people have learnt from last time, in advance of me taking a 2-0 lead over you.

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

Are you any good at pass the parcel? :dunno:
"The surrogate voice of st24"

My flickr photos https://www.flickr.com/photos/146673712@N06/