RAF Scampton Air Show 2017

For any UK event that does not have its own forum
cg_341

Re: RAF Scampton Air Show 2017

Post by cg_341 »

Mark Jefferies and co - most certainly world renowned!

PeterR

Post by PeterR »

Good to see the HHA goodies will be out on static display... :clap:

[fb-post]https://www.facebook.com/RAFAirshow/posts/810670072441679[/fb-post]

BossMann

Post by BossMann »

With the Airshow at Lens now cancelled I wonder if DBH will be able to get some of the displays that were due to display there but have now become available???

Polish Air Force Tiger F-16
Canadian Skyhawk parachute Team
Canadian F18 Flyby ( due to be based at Lille airport but can this be based now at Scampton with the static one ?)
Belgian A109, NH-90NFH and Red Devils Team
French army Tigre
French navy Rafale x 3 ( Same demo as at Yeovilton???)
French air force Equipe de Voltige Extra 300 and Patrouille de France ( would be great to have another national aerobatic team at the Reds homebase airshow)

Mike

Post by Mike »

Or maybe Sanicole will snag a few more!

frank

Post by frank »

patrouille2001 wrote:I just had a thought that the Saudi Hawks would be brilliant for the show :smile:

How weird is that - Saudi Hawks just announced for Sanicole today.
Did you know something - will they come to Scampton ?? (grasping at straws here !)

:dizzy:

BossMann

Post by BossMann »

frank wrote:
patrouille2001 wrote:I just had a thought that the Saudi Hawks would be brilliant for the show :smile:

How weird is that - Saudi Hawks just announced for Sanicole today.
Did you know something - will they come to Scampton ?? (grasping at straws here !)

:dizzy:

Dear RIAT air ops / Scampton Marketing:

Are you trying to get aircraft from Lens mentioned above?

What about the Saudi Hawks? Is Scampton included in their tour? Would be shame if they didn't come to the Reds home base show as they were / are trained by the Reds...

What about Al Fursan who will be at SIAF 2 weeks before Scampton?

Any chance of sharing the Baltic Bees with Jersey where they will be attending a few days after Scampton?

Currently we only have the Belgian F16 and solo alphajet flying ... Was hoping for a few more after the excitement of RIAT last week

Good luck for the show

The Baron

Post by The Baron »

Sally B confirmed.
Loafer for Mr. Da Vinci.

strangelookingalien

Post by strangelookingalien »

I spoke to some guys at RIAT about Scampton and mentioned to them that I was enthusiastic about the show despite some of the bad press they'd had. They seemed pretty exhausted and, frankly, a bit uninterested in Scampton.

When I mentioned to them how much i'd love to see the Norwegian Starfighter their immediate response was to state that after the Shoreham accident many people might be scared of seeing a Starfighter... I can't even imagine why anyone involved in organising an airshow would have such a negative and ignorant view regarding an aircraft type that has been flown safely in civilian hands for years. Mentioning Shoreham was a total red herring considering the aircraft type had nothing whatsoever to do with the accident!

My formerly enthusiastic outlook for the show has been slightly tainted... Let's see what happens.

frank

Post by frank »

strangelookingalien wrote:I spoke to some guys at RIAT about Scampton and mentioned to them that I was enthusiastic about the show despite some of the bad press they'd had. They seemed pretty exhausted and, frankly, a bit uninterested in Scampton.

When I mentioned to them how much i'd love to see the Norwegian Starfighter their immediate response was to state that after the Shoreham accident many people might be scared of seeing a Starfighter... I can't even imagine why anyone involved in organising an airshow would have such a negative and ignorant view regarding an aircraft type that has been flown safely in civilian hands for years. Mentioning Shoreham was a total red herring considering the aircraft type had nothing whatsoever to do with the accident!

My formerly enthusiastic outlook for the show has been slightly tainted... Let's see what happens.

I presume they were RAFCT/Scampton airshow people from what you said. Maybe organising two airshows a year is too much for them. I am really disappointed about the show tbh - if I could cancel my tickets (arrivals/grandstand both days/departures) I would gladly do so. I just wish I had listened to more experienced voices on this forum.

DerekF

Post by DerekF »

But it hasn't happened yet. It's the first year of a new show. Why not give it a go? If it doesn't work or isn't worth the effort fair enough but at least let it happen first.

n0143773

Post by n0143773 »

strangelookingalien wrote:I spoke to some guys at RIAT about Scampton and mentioned to them that I was enthusiastic about the show despite some of the bad press they'd had. They seemed pretty exhausted and, frankly, a bit uninterested in Scampton.

Perhaps linking it to Shoreham was a bit tenuous, but it's pretty common knowledge that the F-104 had a high accident rate - that's probably what prompted the response.

Dan O'Hagan

Post by Dan O'Hagan »

Booking the Saudi Hawks would be a toxic decision.

Do they fly the Women Can't Drive Break and Sponsoring Terror Bend? Perhaps they finish with the Spreading Wahhabism Split? We should NOT be encouraging or welcoming anything to do with Saudi Arabia until that nation has its rotten house in order.

Plus of course, there's the fact their last UK visit was curtailed for, ahem, interesting reasons.

XX752

Post by XX752 »

Tickets on sale at RIAT were offering a £5 discount for this show - A sign that it is overpriced or ticket sales are slow?

UKTopgun
UKAR Supporter

Post by UKTopgun »

Dan O'Hagan wrote:Booking the Saudi Hawks would be a toxic decision.

Do they fly the Women Can't Drive Break and Sponsoring Terror Bend? Perhaps they finish with the Spreading Wahhabism Split? We should NOT be encouraging or welcoming anything to do with Saudi Arabia until that nation has its rotten house in order.

Plus of course, there's the fact their last UK visit was curtailed for, ahem, interesting reasons.

You not keen on the Saudis then, Dan?

Dan O'Hagan

Post by Dan O'Hagan »

UKTopgun wrote:
Dan O'Hagan wrote:Booking the Saudi Hawks would be a toxic decision.

You not keen on the Saudis then, Dan?

I'm not keen on any regime which oppresses, and insidiously exports that oppression.

North Korea with oil deposits, and deeper pockets.

strangelookingalien

Post by strangelookingalien »

n0143773 wrote:
Perhaps linking it to Shoreham was a bit tenuous, but it's pretty common knowledge that the F-104 had a high accident rate - that's probably what prompted the response.

Yes but it's high accident rate had more to do with the type's inappropriate role designation than the aircraft itself. 'The Starfighters' team in the USA don't seem to have any trouble running a safe operation.

Why was the Saudi's last trip cut short?

Shyft87

Post by Shyft87 »

So, 50 days to go and they announce sally B... RIAT-lite doesn't seem worth the distance or ticket cost.

Does anyone expect this to improve?

Finningley Boy

Post by Finningley Boy »

I must confess, I'm disappointed so far, looking at what's going to Sanicole, well lopsided doesn't quite express the shear difference. I think one fault is the attempt to push the 'this will be a family show' line. What airshows aren't family orientated? I take their meaning to suggest 'don't expect much'. Another problem, the RAF whatever the recent problems and operational demands, do not carry the same ethos regarding air displays any longer, if they did, they would do something to be a little more representative in the air. Are we really seriously to believe that some tactical display, just for Scampton, involving Typhoons and or Tornados is absolutely beyond the pale? How about flypasts from larger aircraft, or just something along the lines of what the USAF did for RIAT, which was not even their show or anywhere near home. Just a thought. :cuppa:

FB :biggrin:
Last edited by Finningley Boy on Thu 20 Jul 2017, 6:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I have danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings!

frank

Post by frank »

Shyft87 wrote:So, 50 days to go and they announce sally B... RIAT-lite doesn't seem worth the distance or ticket cost.

I replied to that email asking if I could cancel my tickets and receive a refund based on such a poor turnout. I wont hold my breath though.
:wall:

Shyft87

Post by Shyft87 »

frank wrote:
Shyft87 wrote:So, 50 days to go and they announce sally B... RIAT-lite doesn't seem worth the distance or ticket cost.

I replied to that email asking if I could cancel my tickets and receive a refund based on such a poor turnout. I wont hold my breath though.
:wall:

I wouldn't expect one; the T&Cs are probably the standard "not accountable for cancellations etc etc, specific aircraft etc"

I'm just looking at it, and genuinely trying to work out where the £39 worth of airshow is... Cosford delivered a hell of a lot more for £25, and currently I'd even say Southport is offering a suprisingly similar lineup so far (currently excluding the f16 and alpha jet admittedly), for £8...

XX752

Post by XX752 »

Finningley Boy wrote:I must confess, I'm disappointed so far, looking at what's going to Sanicole, well lopsided doesn't quite express the shear difference. I think one fault is the attempt to push the 'this will be a family show' line. What airshows aren't family orientated? I take their meaning to suggest 'don't expect much'. Another problem, the RAF whatever the recent problems and operational demands, do not carry the same ethos regarding air displays any longer, if they did, they would do something to be a little more representative in the air. Are we really seriously to believe that some tactical display, just for Scampton, involving Typhoons and or Tornados is absolutely beyond the pale? How about flypasts from larger aircraft, or just something along the lines of what the USAF did for RIAT, which was not even their show or anywhere near home. Just a thought. :cuppa:

FB :biggrin:

A role demo was performed by 6 x Tornadoes at RAF Marham families day yesterday - Is it not inconceivable this could take place at Scampton? - Would give a 'wow' factor when used with pyrotechnics.

Dan O'Hagan

Post by Dan O'Hagan »

At the moment I'm struggling to think of a more overpriced event since Spirit Of Adventure...

Shyft87

Post by Shyft87 »

Dan O'Hagan wrote:At the moment I'm struggling to think of a more overpriced event since Spirit Of Adventure...

XH588 taxi runs? :lol:

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

Shyft87 wrote:
Dan O'Hagan wrote:At the moment I'm struggling to think of a more overpriced event since Spirit Of Adventure...

XH588 taxi runs? :lol:

A long way to see what remains of a Victor in Scotland? :dunno:
"The surrogate voice of st24"

My flickr photos https://www.flickr.com/photos/146673712@N06/

vulcanshammer

Post by vulcanshammer »

Moan Moan Moan. Listening to you lot would make any airshow organiser want to pack up and do something else, you're supposed to be enthusiasts. This is a brand new show, and it hasn't even happened yet! Buy a ticket and get behind what could be a great new addition to the UK airshow calendar.
The sooner the world runs out of cotton wool the better