tickets for Scampton airshow

Re: tickets for Scampton airshow

Postby Slappywag on Wed 09 Nov 2016, 11:50 pm

That's the price for having the sun behind you. :ninja:
Slappywag

Re: tickets for Scampton airshow

Postby Chris G on Thu 10 Nov 2016, 6:49 am

If only that was the case!
User avatar
Chris G

Re: tickets for Scampton airshow

Postby st24 on Thu 10 Nov 2016, 12:07 pm

Slappywag wrote:That's the price for having the sun behind you. :ninja:


Until about 2pm...
You caaan't trust the system... Maaan!
User avatar
st24

Re: tickets for Scampton airshow

Postby Mantog on Thu 10 Nov 2016, 4:57 pm

This would appeal more if there is going to be a campsite within walking distance of the airshow like RIAT (and Waddington used to).
Mantog

Re: tickets for Scampton airshow

Postby harkins on Thu 10 Nov 2016, 10:23 pm

I'm actually excited about this. Air shows are so rare now and to get one that's not in the month of July and is on an RAF base has still not sunk in yet.

Having said that, I don't expect a big show and I do think it will be closer to a Cosford style flying line up. I'm also convinced that they are serious about it being a family day out. There is no limit to the number of free children's ticket and if dad takes his son and three school friends, then £39 isn't too bad. Maybe an above average priced and limited number of adult tickets coupled with a Cosford-esque display is calculated to deter the 600mm lens brigade and attract loads of kids?
User avatar
harkins

Re: tickets for Scampton airshow

Postby G-AMPY on Thu 10 Nov 2016, 10:29 pm

harkins wrote:Having said that, I don't expect a big show and I do think it will be closer to a Cosford style flying line up.

Is that Cosford in 2015 with lots of juicy participants or Cosford in 2016 with nothing of interest? :grin:
G-AMPY

Re: tickets for Scampton airshow

Postby speedbird2639 on Fri 11 Nov 2016, 9:19 am

G-AMPY wrote:
harkins wrote:Having said that, I don't expect a big show and I do think it will be closer to a Cosford style flying line up.

Is that Cosford in 2015 with lots of juicy participants or Cosford in 2016 with nothing of interest? :grin:


:clap: :up:

And tbh the 'free kids' thing is a bit of a gimmick - most kids would rather be tarred and feathered than spend anytime with their parents. If they are dragged along they will just spend all day looking at their phone.
User avatar
speedbird2639

Re: tickets for Scampton airshow

Postby TYPHOON3 on Sat 12 Nov 2016, 10:12 am

I am not expecting a show on the scale of Waddington but I do hope it's not going to be similar to Cosford either.Having said that Cosford 2015 was a great show so if it turns out to be on a similar scale to that then it should be a decent show.
TYPHOON3

Re: tickets for Scampton airshow

Postby CJS on Sat 12 Nov 2016, 7:10 pm

harkins wrote: and to get one that's not in the month of July and is on an RAF base has still not sunk in yet.


What, like Cosford then? ;-)
"Forewarned is forearmed"
User avatar
CJS

Re: tickets for Scampton airshow

Postby harkins on Mon 14 Nov 2016, 8:25 am

CJS wrote:
harkins wrote: and to get one that's not in the month of July and is on an RAF base has still not sunk in yet.


What, like Cosford then? ;-)


Yes, like that as opposed to one at a decaying seaside town or a couple of vintage jets and a Spitfire at an airfield last used by the air force in nineteen fifty something.

G-AMPY wrote:
harkins wrote:Having said that, I don't expect a big show and I do think it will be closer to a Cosford style flying line up.

Is that Cosford in 2015 with lots of juicy participants or Cosford in 2016 with nothing of interest? :grin:


Probably somewhere in between would be my guess. 2015 looks likely to have been something of a one off and even then didn't a chunk of the juicy stuff fail to materialise? Ramex Delta, Mig-29 and Sokol from Poland, the RAF Puma, the German P-3? So maybe quite similar to what actually took place at Cosford that year.
User avatar
harkins

Re: tickets for Scampton airshow

Postby capercaillie on Mon 14 Nov 2016, 9:14 am

PeterR wrote:
Perhaps you can clarify a rumour that was posted on FB, no more than 25 aircraft on static, nothing bigger than a C-130!

Could you name another UK Airshow which has move than 25 visiting aircraft on static display apart from RIAT? I'd see that as a very respectable number IF it was the case.


Many, in fact almost all of them that had a runway. Sadly better use of time, US shutdown since 9/11, not enough assets, lack of manpower and other excuses have done away with them all with the only current RAF organised show the last couple of years being held on a postage stamp.

I have no problem with the size of the show at Scampton, if that's what they can fit in to the base, but at £39 it needs to be Laotian Mig21s, Taiwanese Ching-Kuos and the Chinese display team. :biggrin:
"The surrogate voice of st24"
User avatar
capercaillie

Re: tickets for Scampton airshow

Postby TYPHOON3 on Mon 14 Nov 2016, 4:57 pm

To be honest I wasn't expecting the general admission to be as high as £39.If it's only a 5 hour flying display as opposed to 7+ at RIAT,I would expect something a bit special in the flying display and static.Many will probably hold back purchasing tickets until they know some of what's confirmed at that price.
TYPHOON3

Re: tickets for Scampton airshow

Postby pb643 on Tue 22 Nov 2016, 8:30 pm

An interview in last week's RAF News provides little additional information about the show as far as I can see. The two points worth repeating being that the airshow director is a gentleman called Paul Saul and that they are developing the airfields infrastructure to cope with 25,000 people. I guess that is per day, but it doesn't specify. 12,500 per day would be a very small number, but a very long queue waiting for a bus. :lol:

Phil
pb643

Re: tickets for Scampton airshow

Postby st24 on Wed 23 Nov 2016, 10:34 am

pb643 wrote:An interview in last week's RAF News provides little additional information about the show as far as I can see. The two points worth repeating being that the airshow director is a gentleman called Paul Saul and that they are developing the airfields infrastructure to cope with 25,000 people. I guess that is per day, but it doesn't specify. 12,500 per day would be a very small number, but a very long queue waiting for a bus. :lol:

Phil


Either way it's a pitifully small amount (when one considers "tiny" Cosford has had 40-60k in the past)meaning it will sell out quickly - probably around May next year thus denying a fair chance for all to try it. But it will still be deemed as a success as a sell out, irrelevant of quality of the show....
You caaan't trust the system... Maaan!
User avatar
st24

Re: tickets for Scampton airshow

Postby pbeardmore on Wed 23 Nov 2016, 2:26 pm

Classic supply and demand scenario re these ticekts, some on the forum pointing out that, in their opinion, the price is high whilst others are already predicting a sell out.
The RIAT team have a wealth of data re pricing points etc. The fact its a new show will add to media coverage etc and its a new footfall. I agree with some, I think it will sell out.
Re the small capacity, it makes perfect sense for a new show to be humble with numbers so they can best manage traffic, security etc and, if they do sell out, the cash flow model is so much better. We have seen other new shows caught out big time by surprise high numbers.
“The best computer is a man, and it’s the only one that can be mass-produced by unskilled labour.”
User avatar
pbeardmore

Re: tickets for Scampton airshow

Postby Spotty_Jag on Wed 23 Nov 2016, 7:33 pm

pb643 wrote:the airshow director is a gentleman called Paul Saul

I'm sure I don't need to point it out but Paul was the Airshow Director at RAF Waddington for a number of years, so he brings a lot of exercise to the table at Scampton.
User avatar
Spotty_Jag

Re: tickets for Scampton airshow

Postby aspotternot on Wed 23 Nov 2016, 10:10 pm

Is anyone honestly surprised at the ticket price?

Call me cynical if you like but the moment DBH/RAFCTE/RIAT got involved there was only going to be one outcome. "Build the show" my a***, once again all they want to do is fleece as much out of the public as soon as possible! As someone pointed out this is nearly twice the price of a Waddington ticket and for what? A tent full of traders selling 40's gear, a 'tech' tent which some kids might use but which will either be rammed if the weather is rubbish or empty if there is decent flying and a 'Meet the RAF' tent. You can approach most RAF personnel at an air show and, if they are not busy/on a mission/with family (a polite introduction and question can easily establish this), they will be happy to spend time with you. Aircraft, we wait with bated breath!

Yes, they might attract a few good foreign items but so might Sanicole on the same weekend, a well established event that attracted very good participation this year? And if they do manage to pull off some gems no doubt they won't publish when / if any such items are arriving, they'll make you pay ~£3 for a piece of B&W printed paper for a list of what might, or might not, show up! And it doesn't stop there, you haven't even seen the programme price yet!!

Don't get me wrong, yes, it is great to have a new show at an RAF base but why not let the RAF organise it? There might just be one or two air arms around the world who would like to support our air force whilst not feeling they have to 'bow' to another request from DBH? And maybe the organisers, RAF or otherwise, should look at the European air show scene when it comes to pricing, mostly 'free' to very reasonably priced shows supported by the Defence Arms of the various governments. Is it any wonder a good number of enthusiasts have worked out that a cheap ferry and cheap accommodation could see them at Sanicole, with the added extras of a Friday evening show and the possibility of a Spotters Day at Kleine Brogel, for not a lot more? Scampton's one selling point is that it is a two day show and some air arms may prefer to support it rather than a one day/one limited evening show like Sanicole?

£39 worth of rant over! Tin hat ....... run!!
aspotternot

Re: tickets for Scampton airshow

Postby Wrexham Mackem on Wed 23 Nov 2016, 10:35 pm

aspotternot wrote:Is anyone honestly surprised at the ticket price?

Call me cynical if you like but the moment DBH/RAFCTE/RIAT got involved there was only going to be one outcome. "Build the show" my a***, once again all they want to do is fleece as much out of the public as soon as possible! As someone pointed out this is nearly twice the price of a Waddington ticket and for what? A tent full of traders selling 40's gear, a 'tech' tent which some kids might use but which will either be rammed if the weather is rubbish or empty if there is decent flying and a 'Meet the RAF' tent. You can approach most RAF personnel at an air show and, if they are not busy/on a mission/with family (a polite introduction and question can easily establish this), they will be happy to spend time with you. Aircraft, we wait with bated breath!

Yes, they might attract a few good foreign items but so might Sanicole on the same weekend, a well established event that attracted very good participation this year? And if they do manage to pull off some gems no doubt they won't publish when / if any such items are arriving, they'll make you pay ~£3 for a piece of B&W printed paper for a list of what might, or might not, show up! And it doesn't stop there, you haven't even seen the programme price yet!!

Don't get me wrong, yes, it is great to have a new show at an RAF base but why not let the RAF organise it? There might just be one or two air arms around the world who would like to support our air force whilst not feeling they have to 'bow' to another request from DBH? And maybe the organisers, RAF or otherwise, should look at the European air show scene when it comes to pricing, mostly 'free' to very reasonably priced shows supported by the Defence Arms of the various governments. Is it any wonder a good number of enthusiasts have worked out that a cheap ferry and cheap accommodation could see them at Sanicole, with the added extras of a Friday evening show and the possibility of a Spotters Day at Kleine Brogel, for not a lot more? Scampton's one selling point is that it is a two day show and some air arms may prefer to support it rather than a one day/one limited evening show like Sanicole?

£39 worth of rant over! Tin hat ....... run!!



The event exists to make money for charity. It would be remiss of the RAFCTE not to maximise that. They know what their market will stand. Of course, they're obliged to provide a show in return, but don't forget your entry fee is a charity donation. The free shows on the continent or in the US do not have the same primary motive. You aren't comparing like with like.
its time to kick the tyres and light the fires

https://www.flickr.com/photos/151934326@N08/albums
User avatar
Wrexham Mackem
UKAR Staff

Re: tickets for Scampton airshow

Postby Tomahawk on Wed 23 Nov 2016, 11:09 pm

Wrexham Mackem wrote: but don't forget your entry fee is a charity donation


The whole entry fee? Don't think so.....
Tomahawk

Re: tickets for Scampton airshow

Postby pbeardmore on Thu 24 Nov 2016, 8:52 am

If we are going to do a direct comparison, Sanicole charges you for the loos!! the most cynical thing I think I have seen at an airshow.
“The best computer is a man, and it’s the only one that can be mass-produced by unskilled labour.”
User avatar
pbeardmore

Re: tickets for Scampton airshow

Postby st24 on Thu 24 Nov 2016, 9:21 am

pbeardmore wrote:If we are going to do a direct comparison, Sanicole charges you for the loos!! the most cynical thing I think I have seen at an airshow.


But admission is still £17 cheaper - you'd have to be going to the loo a hell of a lot of times to find it a more expensive show (travel/accommodation aside of course!)

pbeardmore wrote:Classic supply and demand scenario re these ticekts, some on the forum pointing out that, in their opinion, the price is high whilst others are already predicting a sell out.
The RIAT team have a wealth of data re pricing points etc. The fact its a new show will add to media coverage etc and its a new footfall. I agree with some, I think it will sell out.
Re the small capacity, it makes perfect sense for a new show to be humble with numbers so they can best manage traffic, security etc and, if they do sell out, the cash flow model is so much better. We have seen other new shows caught out big time by surprise high numbers.


If people happily part with £40-60 to shoot a redundant/static airframe(s) in the dark and pouring rain then given the dearth of big airshows, particularly ones in this part of the country then yes it will sell out, even at those top brand prices.
For "humble numbers" I read "a safe target". The home of the Red Arrows will attract a huge crowd and rightly so- I feel the RAF have always underestimated the interest the public have in them and that was back when we had 10-15 good sized military open days a year up and down the country. Now we have 5ish and very few North of the M4 then why not set the bar higher??
You caaan't trust the system... Maaan!
User avatar
st24

Re: tickets for Scampton airshow

Postby Dan O'Hagan on Fri 25 Nov 2016, 9:28 am

I will not be supporting this event.

I won't countenance a 6 hour round trip, to leave my car miles away, have a bunfight to get on a packed bus, and possibly get rained on. For forty quid.

No thank you. No matter what the line-up.
Dan O'Hagan

Re: tickets for Scampton airshow

Postby Elliott Marsh on Fri 25 Nov 2016, 1:35 pm

I wish them all the very best, we certainly need new airshows to do well, but I'm in a similar boat to Dan. It's a 6+ hour round trip and the off-site parking element and ticket price put me off. It also clashes with the Goodwood Revival which, whilst considerably more expensive (about £50 per day on tickets alone), is one the very best events in the UK and one which I missed this year due to the unfortunate clash with Hahnweide.

If the show's well-received and boasts a strong line-up in future, I'll certainly consider it.
Elliott Marsh

Re: tickets for Scampton airshow

Postby pbeardmore on Fri 25 Nov 2016, 3:00 pm

I think this airshow may help to answer the age old debate concering who airshows are ultimately aimed at. My gut reaction is that this show may have little to entice dedicated airshow fans compared to RIAT and foreign shows. But there are so many families looking for a good, solid day out and jo public love a good airshow and their defition of good is very different from our defintion. When you have a new show at such a well known location with a relatively small capacity, is there any real need to pull in the rare and special aircraft that us guys look forward to? I am guessing it will be a solid, "bread and butter" show and will sell out.
“The best computer is a man, and it’s the only one that can be mass-produced by unskilled labour.”
User avatar
pbeardmore

Re: tickets for Scampton airshow

Postby rdchawk on Fri 25 Nov 2016, 3:40 pm

pbeardmore wrote:I think this airshow may help to answer the age old debate concering who airshows are ultimately aimed at. My gut reaction is that this show may have little to entice dedicated airshow fans compared to RIAT and foreign shows. But there are so many families looking for a good, solid day out and jo public love a good airshow and their defition of good is very different from our defintion. When you have a new show at such a well known location with a relatively small capacity, is there any real need to pull in the rare and special aircraft that us guys look forward to? I am guessing it will be a solid, "bread and butter" show and will sell out.



But will families go for a show where no on site parking which means carrying all food, drink,etc whilst sorting out pushchairs and children??
Known as Red 13,
Proud member of the Silverstone Marshalling Team
User avatar
rdchawk

PreviousNext

Return to Scampton Airshow

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest