Nope
23%
Nope
23%
Depending on the lineup - I'll wait and decide nearer the time
15%
Depending on the lineup - I'll wait and decide nearer the time
15%
I can't decide what to do, what a to-do!
3%
I can't decide what to do, what a to-do!
3%

Total votes: 350

Hatstand
UKAR Supporter

Re: So, you gonna go or what?

Post by Hatstand »

ScamptonMarketing wrote:
It looks like spectators would be facing North-West-ish?

Correct, the public viewing area will be on the South East side of the runway.

This Sun Calc tool lets you see the sun's position, here.

Perfect, thanks!

Having the sun behind us for most of the day is A Jolly Good Thing, for an airshow... :-D
Goodbye 600D... Hello FZ150!

st24

Post by st24 »

ScamptonMarketing wrote:

Anyone who's been to Farnborough or Biggin Hill - particularly their September shows will know how it goes. Sun will creep over your left shoulder around 2/2.30-ish.
You caaan't trust the system... Maaan!

ScamptonMarketing

Post by ScamptonMarketing »

We should be in a position to publish the first airfield map in the next month.

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

Hatstand wrote:
ScamptonMarketing wrote:

Perfect, thanks!

Having the sun behind us for most of the day is A Jolly Good Thing, for an airshow... :-D

But most of that is in the morning when the flying hasn't started. Think of it as opposite to Waddington, so when all the good stuff is on in the afternoon, the sun is in front of you.

You mentioned Old Warden, again completely opposite, when the flying starts there the sun has started to come behind you and gets better through the afternoon.
"The surrogate voice of st24"

My flickr photos https://www.flickr.com/photos/146673712@N06/

edhunter

Post by edhunter »

if your not going to the Scampton Air Show it self may i recommend the W,A,V,E otherwise known as the sentry post snack bar. This is based at RAF Waddington and it is possible to view RAF Scampton from there plus any aircraft which is in the flying display is going to be based at RAF Waddington so you are able to see them come and go and any launches from RAF Waddington on top of that. I use the W,A,V,E alot the people who run a fantastic with alot of witty banter. The people who run it have told me that they will be open for the entire show.

Spotty_Jag

Post by Spotty_Jag »

edhunter wrote:This is based at RAF Waddington and it is possible to view RAF Scampton from there.

You've got incredible eyesight if so..? :dizzy:

CJS

Post by CJS »

Yep, I don't think I'd rock up there expecting to see anything of the show at Scampton. It's ten miles (by road). So that's at the very least a bit like watching RIAT sitting in a pub garden in Cirencester.

Not the best recommendation I've ever heard to be honest, sorry edhunter!
"There's only one way of life, and that's your own"

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

Spotty_Jag wrote:
edhunter wrote:This is based at RAF Waddington and it is possible to view RAF Scampton from there.

You've got incredible eyesight if so..? :dizzy:

You'd see things. You can clearly see from Waddington the smoke on the Reds when they practice over Scampton. It would be a lousy day's viewing though. :grin:

DerekF

Post by DerekF »

At least if you viewed from Waddington you'd have the sun behind you......

reheat module

Post by reheat module »

Having served at both stations I can confirm, irrespective of distance, you can't see one from the other.
The best you'll get observing from Waddo are small shapes, providing they fly at a level higher than the hill with the Cathedral on.
As said, no brainer.
Canon systems

smr

Post by smr »

Didn't know about this until today...

What's the likelihood of a few fast jets being there? I'm not really into props and old planes as much as modern fighters.

Finningley Boy

Post by Finningley Boy »

Well it is an official Royal Air Force air show. Then again that's no guarantee of anything these days, but I should very well imagine they'll turn something up.

FB :biggrin:
I have danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings!

The Baron

Post by The Baron »

smr wrote:Didn't know about this until today...

What's the likelihood of a few fast jets being there? I'm not really into props and old planes as much as modern fighters.

Chances? I'd say no to unlikely. The way it's going Scampton will be lucky to have anything more than the RAF Typhoon flying and maybe a couple in the static.
Loafer for Mr. Da Vinci.

CJS

Post by CJS »

The way it's going?? It's February for goodness' sake!
"There's only one way of life, and that's your own"

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

CJS wrote:The way it's going?? It's February for goodness' sake!

I believe what my learned colleague is referring to is the fact that all the acts that have declared their hand up to this point have chosen the well established Sanicole fun fest rather than the new kid on the block, which managed to clash with one of the few shows being staged on the European mainland this year. You couldn't write this stuff. :biggrin:

Spotty_Jag

Post by Spotty_Jag »

Finningley Boy wrote:Well it is an official Royal Air Force air show.

No it's not. :tongue2:

The Baron

Post by The Baron »

capercaillie wrote:
CJS wrote:The way it's going?? It's February for goodness' sake!

I believe what my learned colleague is referring to is the fact that all the acts that have declared their hand up to this point have chosen the well established Sanicole fun fest rather than the new kid on the block, which managed to clash with one of the few shows being staged on the European mainland this year. You couldn't write this stuff. :biggrin:

Spot on Sir.
Loafer for Mr. Da Vinci.

f-4

Post by f-4 »

The team is working with Sanicole to share acts over the weekend. There's no aIrshow in Belgium on the Saturday which helps with this.

BossMann

Post by BossMann »

f-4 wrote:The team is working with Sanicole to share acts over the weekend. There's no aIrshow in Belgium on the Saturday which helps with this.

Really - that's good, so Saturday may be the day to go.

In terms of sharing acts all the foreign stuff announced so far for Sanicole haven't declared that they will display at Scampton on the Saturday? Would be great to have the Swiss and Spanish teams and Zeus at Scampton....

clearstone

Post by clearstone »

f-4 wrote:The team is working with Sanicole to share acts over the weekend. There's no airshow in Belgium on the Saturday which helps with this.

But there are usually a lot of 'required rehearsals' at Sanicole on the Saturday. Plus there are other major shows in Europe that weekend - Lens springs to mind. There will oppotunities to share displays that can and are willing to "tour" but I cannot see that extending to all that many.

People should stop looking at the grass on the other side. The Scampton Team are well placed and experienced enough to put on a good event whatever else is on across Europe. I don't think there was ever any intention on RAFCTEs part to have a 'Second RIAT.' Scampton should develop its own unique place on the Calendar and not be the poorer relation of any other event.

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

clearstone wrote:
f-4 wrote:The team is working with Sanicole to share acts over the weekend. There's no airshow in Belgium on the Saturday which helps with this.

But there are usually a lot of 'required rehearsals' at Sanicole on the Saturday. Plus there are other major shows in Europe that weekend - Lens springs to mind. There will oppotunities to share displays that can and are willing to "tour" but I cannot see that extending to all that many.

People should stop looking at the grass on the other side. The Scampton Team are well placed and experienced enough to put on a good event whatever else is on across Europe. I don't think there was ever any intention on RAFCTEs part to have a 'Second RIAT.' Scampton should develop its own unique place on the Calendar and not be the poorer relation of any other event.

Well that's what they're charging for! :hypno: :dizzy:

Chris G

Post by Chris G »

Exactly what he said, if you're charging silly money then we want quality acts, not stuff you can go and see for free at xyz seaside locations.

Finningley Boy

Post by Finningley Boy »

Spotty_Jag wrote:
Finningley Boy wrote:Well it is an official Royal Air Force air show.

No it's not. :tongue2:

Well I could be wrong, but I was under the impression that it was an RAF decision to stage the event at an RAF Station. I wouldn't let the fact that RAFCTE are organising it mislead you at all. There are no events wholly organised by any of HM Forces any longer, but the event is staged in the name of the RAF. :cuppa:

FB
I have danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings!

Spotty_Jag

Post by Spotty_Jag »

Finningley Boy wrote:Well I could be wrong, but I was under the impression that it was an RAF decision to stage the event at an RAF Station. I wouldn't let the fact that RAFCTE are organising it mislead you at all. There are no events wholly organised by any of HM Forces any longer, but the event is staged in the name of the RAF. :cuppa:

The way I've read it is that Royal Air Force are allowing RACFTE to use their property to hold the event, where RAFCTE provides all the staff and hold all the risks. Hence why 'Scampton Airshow Ltd' is the operator. :snack:

B_Tank88

Post by B_Tank88 »

Wouldn't worry about the sun position, not like it's going to be out anyway!

To be fair credit to everyone who will be supporting this, we can all moan about the current UK scene but we shouldn't be moaning and then not supporting it at the same time, there's nothing else that can help keep the scene afloat apart from us.

I will try my best to make it, even though it's overpriced and the lineup is not worth the price. Hopefully we can support it to become more established in the future.