Scampton Airshow 2018

For any UK event that does not have its own forum
Finningley Boy

Re: Scampton Airshow 2018

Post by Finningley Boy »

Tommy wrote:Several weeks, but:

Finningley Boy wrote:Makes you wonder just what hell's going on?

Probably nothing. That's the thing.

I'm almost always wrong about everything, but if I were to predict anything, the next news story will probably be Scampton's death knell. Or a halfway-house non-committal "postponed until further announcement" type of release.

A great shame. I really wanted this event to do well.

Ditto Tommy, Ditto!

FB
I have danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings!

BossMann

Post by BossMann »

Finningley Boy wrote:
Tommy wrote:Several weeks, but:

Finningley Boy wrote:Makes you wonder just what hell's going on?

Probably nothing. That's the thing.

I'm almost always wrong about everything, but if I were to predict anything, the next news story will probably be Scampton's death knell. Or a halfway-house non-committal "postponed until further announcement" type of release.

A great shame. I really wanted this event to do well.

Ditto Tommy, Ditto!

FB

As one of this events' supporters on here I really wanted this show to do well and succeed in replacing the RAF Waddington Airshow. However even I don't think that RAFCTE will either bring this show back or a replacement in the 'East of England' somewhere given RAF Scamptons closure.

Only the FRIAT members can ask what the plans are for this at the next FRIAT forum as this shows website/ fb page have now gone.

It would be good if RAFCTE could just say this in a statement. 'We tried. We failed. No More. Come to RIAT'

Part of me feels that if the 'old organising team' at RAF Waddington that were still in post had been asked to manage this show it could have been a 'Waddington down the road at RAF Scampton' with a smaller static display. However the RAF chose to go with RAFCTE - don't know why? Now the Waddington team have all gone there separate ways - Thank you SilentFlight et al for all the shows that you gave us at Waddington

At least we still have RIAT and Yeovilton in the south of the country for all the military airshow fans.

Finningley Boy

Post by Finningley Boy »

Indeed Boss Man,

How quickly we've reduced to just two military events, ok three if you include Cosford. But over the last 28 years its been a constant contraction since 1990. Just five years ago; Leuchars, Waddington, Cosford, Yeovilton, Culdrose and RIAT, and if its worth a mention, the Red Arrows still flying their full display over Farnborough. 1990; Abingdon, Finningley, Leuchars, St Athan (At Homes), St Mawgan, Cosford, Coningsby, Chivenor, Brawdy RAF Open Days, Yeovilton, Culdrose, Lee on Solent Naval Air Days, Mildenhall, Lakenheath, Bentwaters USAF open days. Boscombe Down RAFBFE organised official Battle of Britain Air Show, Farnborough (when it was something to shout about still with three public days. Church Fenton SSAFA and then all the rest of the civilian organised events. Not to mention eight or nine RAF FJ solos, Nimrod, Hercules, Shackleton, Canberras etc. oh, and Vulcan still. RN Sea Harrier and all there was from overseas and a 160+ aircraft flypast over Buck House and Abingdon. It certainly did the wallet no good at all.

All against the back drop of Defence cuts (options for change) and the military build up in the Middle East following Saddam's invasion of Kuwait!

FB
I have danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings!

BossMann

Post by BossMann »

No more information on this show or any possible replacement from RIAT/ RAFCTE.

Does anyone else have any more information on the status of RAFCTE's 'other airshow'.

Hopefully RAFCTE may give more information at the FRIAT forum this year whenever it happens.

By then this topic may not even exist ....

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

BossMann wrote:By then this topic may not even exist ....

Fingers crossed. :whistle:
"The surrogate voice of st24"

My flickr photos https://www.flickr.com/photos/146673712@N06/

craig.mason

Post by craig.mason »

Its a pity that airshow fans in the north of england no longer have a large airshow to go to been looking at fairford and cosford but its 145 miles to fairford or 95 miles to cosford from sheffield there and back
Canon 550D
EF-S 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 IS II Lens
EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS II
EF 75-300mm f/4.0-5.6 III USM

Tmyers123

Post by Tmyers123 »

craig.mason wrote:Its a pity that airshow fans in the north of england no longer have a large airshow to go to been looking at fairford and cosford but its 145 miles to fairford or 95 miles to cosford from sheffield there and back

I’m off to RIAT and Cosford and I’m in the Wakefield area. :grin: around 180 miles to Fairford for me.

But I agree, I miss Waddington and it’s a shame Scampton couldn’t live up to it.

BossMann

Post by BossMann »

Agree with all the comments regarding loss of airshows in the north of england.

In Yorkshire / Lincolnshire we are left with a 6 item flying display at Cleethorpes ( which will hopefully include the Reds before they go on tour ), Scarborough armed forces day and East Kirkby - none major military airshows.

It will be Sheffield to Fairford and Yeovilton for me too.

The legacy of the Finingley/ Waddington airshows should have continued with Scampton, but we all know what happened to that as a result of RAFCTE getting it 'wrong' and then blaming the public for not buying tickets.

One can only hope that after they get RIAT 'right' this year after last year they may wish to resurrect the RAF show in the east of england somewhere - but which military airfields are available is questionable as discussed above.

clearstone

Post by clearstone »

capercaillie wrote:
BossMann wrote:By then this topic may not even exist ....

Fingers crossed. :whistle:

Seconded. :tumbleweed:

reheat module

Post by reheat module »

If at first you don't succeed, - Jack it in.
Canon systems

BossMann

Post by BossMann »

Hopefully those UKAR members attending the FRIAT Forum will finally be able to get some answers from RAFCTE regarding what is going on with this 'east of england' show.

Current attempts at getting any sort of info from RAFCTE have resulted in nothing.......

f-4

Post by f-4 »

Nothing is happening, or will, simple as that.

BossMann

Post by BossMann »

Was anything mentioned at the FRIAT forum regarding the scampton airshow/ replacement in the ‘east of England’ ?

BossMann

Post by BossMann »

From the FRIAT FORUM thread:

“It was an RAFCTE decision not to run Scampton for a second year in 2019. They couldn't create a brand around Scampton with the base closing. They said that they still have an ambition to run a similar event in north if opportunity arises. “

???? Didn’t know they were even considering a show in 2019
Was any of this ever made public ?

Does this mean the RAF wanted a show at scampton in 2019 and RAFCTE said no again??

Still vague about a future show in the north of England if the opportunity arises given that there don’t seem to be any suitable venues ....

Unless they are thinking of relocating riat if the ‘challenges’ post USAF moving in affect running RIAT significant

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

Yes, when it was announced in December 2017 there was to be no 2018 show they said they were hoping to bring it back in 2019.

Organisers said they wanted time to fully consider lessons learned and hoped to return in 2019.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-l ... e-42358391

TBH you are flogging a dead horse, RAFCTE have made it clear there now will be no shows at Scampton and that if the opportunity arises they would like to run a show in the North of England.

Until that opportunity does present itself (and lets be honest they have no obligation to say anything further until something certain comes along) the show is dead. End of discussion.

aviodromefriend

Post by aviodromefriend »

BossMann wrote:Unless they are thinking of relocating RIAT if the ‘challenges’ post USAF moving in affect running RIAT significant
If you also read the few lines above the Scampton bit, you should have known:
Paul_Reflex wrote:Future plans.
As far as DBH are concerned shows will continue past the point where Fairford is used for full time operations, but there may be some challenges and changes to accommodate, mostly due to more personnel being based there.
So no plans for now to move RIAT away from Fairford.
A weather forecast is a forecast and just that

Mike Moses, Launch Integration Manager Space Shuttle Program

BossMann

Post by BossMann »

Tbh even I have realised that RAFCTE have no intention of staging a show at RAF Scampton or have any real ambition to replace it with another show up north.

I just wish rafcte would just say it, Rather than the endless spin and vague comments like ‘if the opportunity arises ‘.

The simple fact is the opportunity arose with RAF Scampton after the Waddington show was postponed due to runway works then cancelled. It was given to rafcte to run rather than the RAF Waddington airshow team. The show wasn’t a success for the reasons we know and the 2018 one pulled after the first attempt. No further attempt as base now closing. No attempt from RAFCTE at finding an alternative location for any further attempt but to wait again for another opportunity = End of show.

I doubt whether another opportunity like this will arise as there are no more RAF airshows left apart from cosford.

RIP the legacy of the RAF finingley/ waddington airshow.

mavvymoo

Post by mavvymoo »

I guess that for all their undoubted good intentions RAFCTE might not have been as invested in Waddington 2.0 as the actual Waddington team themselves and therefore would have not necessarily have inherited the ambitions and certainly not the local savoir-faire of the local organising team. I'm sure that moving the show to Scampton could never be as simple as telling everyone to meet up at a different place, but I wonder how much sharing of expertise and experience took place between RAFCTE and the Waddington team to develop what perhaps could have become Scampington.
Famed for appearing to put my foot in it, read my post with the voice of Stewie Griffin if it offended you first time

pb643

Post by pb643 »

mavvymoo wrote:I guess that for all their undoubted good intentions RAFCTE might not have been as invested in Waddington 2.0 as the actual Waddington team themselves and therefore would have not necessarily have inherited the ambitions and certainly not the local savoir-faire of the local organising team. I'm sure that moving the show to Scampton could never be as simple as telling everyone to meet up at a different place, but I wonder how much sharing of expertise and experience took place between RAFCTE and the Waddington team to develop what perhaps could have become Scampington.

Paul Sall, airshow director for Scampton had previously been airshow director at Waddington. Other than that, very little was taken from Waddington. Virtually all processes, equipment and a lot of personnel were shared with RIAT. Ultimately I believe this was one of the big problems, Scampton came along too soon after RIAT. As a volunteer, we were told that after the first year, there would be a gradual switch from RIAT control to Scampton control, this would take place over the subsequent two years. By year three it was meant to be almost independent of RIAT. Some of the volunteers were onsite at Scampton for 3 weeks or so, having previously spent a similar period of time at Fairford!!

I would love to see the final financial results of the show.

clearstone

Post by clearstone »

pb643 wrote:I would love to see the final financial results of the show.

There's little secret in that, they've been published for a while now - https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/10233810

pb643

Post by pb643 »

clearstone wrote:
pb643 wrote:I would love to see the final financial results of the show.

There's little secret in that, they've been published for a while now - https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/10233810

Thanks, Clearstone, I was not aware of that.

I have had a quick look through and must admit I don't feel much wiser. I guess it is only relevant if you have some idea of what had been anticipated?