Oceana air show

Oceana air show

Postby lambo17841 on Wed 01 Aug 2018, 10:26 am

Should go in the airshow section I know but worth seeing comments here.
Read the photo guidelines at the bottom.

https://www.oceanaairshow.com/

John in Seaford
lambo17841

Oceana 2018

Postby boff180 on Wed 01 Aug 2018, 11:21 am

If you are planning to attend this show please take note.

Unless you are press or joining the free "Jet Fans" package, you will be limited to a small/medium camera shoulder bag and a maximum lens focal length of 200mm - anything else will be refused entry.

Otherwise, your bag must fit in the X-Ray machine.

Andy
User avatar
boff180
UKAR Staff

Re: Oceana air show

Postby wezgulf3 on Wed 01 Aug 2018, 2:22 pm

lambo17841 wrote:Should go in the airshow section I know but worth seeing comments here.
Read the photo guidelines at the bottom.

https://www.oceanaairshow.com/

John in Seaford


The only thing I can see is in the FAQ’s, which say only photo limitation is for no photography inside hangars.

Wes...
wezgulf3

Re: Oceana air show

Postby Tommy on Wed 01 Aug 2018, 2:36 pm

wezgulf3 wrote:
The only thing I can see is in the FAQ’s, which say only photo limitation is for no photography inside hangars.


See:

User avatar
Tommy
UKAR Staff

Re: Oceana air show

Postby iaint on Wed 01 Aug 2018, 2:39 pm

Edit: Beaten to it by Tommy... :smile:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/iainthomson84/

End of Message, End of Broadcast
User avatar
iaint
UKAR Staff

Re: Oceana air show

Postby wezgulf3 on Wed 01 Aug 2018, 2:52 pm

Think they had similar restrictions last year, pretty sad really.

Wes...
wezgulf3

Re: Oceana air show

Postby NTG1610 on Wed 01 Aug 2018, 3:23 pm

wezgulf3 wrote:Think they had similar restrictions last year, pretty sad really.

Wes...


They didn`t seem to know what they we doing last year, i did Saturday am with small lens for static only and had no issues nor did i see any restrictions and went back Sunday with a 100-400 for flying and got in without issue, I was aware of people being refused access with long lens though
seems different gates were working to different rules which were changing daily
NTG1610

Re: Oceana air show

Postby wezgulf3 on Wed 01 Aug 2018, 3:32 pm

NTG1610 wrote:
wezgulf3 wrote:Think they had similar restrictions last year, pretty sad really.

Wes...


They didn`t seem to know what they we doing last year, i did Saturday am with small lens for static only and had no issues nor did i see any restrictions and went back Sunday with a 100-400 for flying and got in without issue, I was aware of people being refused access with long lens though
seems different gates were working to different rules which were changing daily


Had heard some stories about larger lenses get knocked back at the entrance, let’s just hope it is just Oceana that’s gas this rule.

Wes...
wezgulf3

Re: Oceana air show

Postby Jakub.Zurek on Wed 01 Aug 2018, 4:37 pm

Those rules seem a bit bizarre
User avatar
Jakub.Zurek
UKAR Staff

Re: Oceana air show

Postby CJS on Wed 01 Aug 2018, 5:24 pm

What's the point, other than to make money (I presume the jet passes are not free)? Do they even try to pretend it's for some other reason?
"Forewarned is forearmed"
How do you know I didn't?
User avatar
CJS

Re: Oceana air show

Postby Tommy on Wed 01 Aug 2018, 6:37 pm

Doesn't say they are any extra anywhere I can see, nor is there any "Jet Fan Pass" ticketing option.

Any people going to this airshow will need to pay heed to the deadline of 31st August to send in your registration forms:

JET FANS may register by email or letter. To be granted access to the practice show on
Friday, September 21st. Registration forms must be received NO LATER THAN AUGUST
31, 2018
.

When sending in your registration form, please include a portrait photo of yourself against a plain
background. Your registration will then be processed, and you will be informed if you are
eligible for credentials.

One registration form per person. Please, print so that it is readable. Registrants will be
notified by email and email only, about credentials. Registrants who are ineligible for
media credentials will also be notified by email.

All JET FAN PASS recipients will be able to bring large camera bags into the Air Show
during admission times. Your camera bags and any other equipment will be searched upon entry.
There will be no parking passes issued with these credentials. The available media
parking spots will be reserved for local and national television and newspaper media only.
This request does not grant you media credentials.

To receive your JET FAN PASS and credentials, you must come in person Friday, September 21st
between 8:00 a.m. and 11:00 a.m. to the pass and ID building located in front of and to the right of
the NAS Oceana main gate, across from the Navy Exchange (NEX).


Sounds like a security thing rather than a money thing.
User avatar
Tommy
UKAR Staff

Re: Oceana air show

Postby ErrolC on Wed 01 Aug 2018, 8:32 pm

Tommy wrote:Doesn't say they are any extra anywhere I can see, nor is there any "Jet Fan Pass" ticketing option.

Any people going to this airshow will need to pay heed to the deadline of 31st August to send in your registration forms:

...
Sounds like a security thing rather than a money thing.


200mm seems arbitrary, as there are 300mm zooms that are well smaller than e.g. 70-200mm f2.8's. If it is actually about security, then if it fits in belt pouch then what's the problem (as medium shoulder bags are ok)? They might be wanting to limit numbers (or at least know numbers in advance) of items to x-ray.
ErrolC

Re: Oceana air show

Postby NTG1610 on Thu 02 Aug 2018, 8:13 am

Tommy wrote:Doesn't say they are any extra anywhere I can see, nor is there any "Jet Fan Pass" ticketing option.

Any people going to this airshow will need to pay heed to the deadline of 31st August to send in your registration forms:

JET FANS may register by email or letter. To be granted access to the practice show on
Friday, September 21st. Registration forms must be received NO LATER THAN AUGUST
31, 2018
.

When sending in your registration form, please include a portrait photo of yourself against a plain
background. Your registration will then be processed, and you will be informed if you are
eligible for credentials.

One registration form per person. Please, print so that it is readable. Registrants will be
notified by email and email only, about credentials. Registrants who are ineligible for
media credentials will also be notified by email.

All JET FAN PASS recipients will be able to bring large camera bags into the Air Show
during admission times. Your camera bags and any other equipment will be searched upon entry.
There will be no parking passes issued with these credentials. The available media
parking spots will be reserved for local and national television and newspaper media only.
This request does not grant you media credentials.

To receive your JET FAN PASS and credentials, you must come in person Friday, September 21st
between 8:00 a.m. and 11:00 a.m. to the pass and ID building located in front of and to the right of
the NAS Oceana main gate, across from the Navy Exchange (NEX).


Sounds like a security thing rather than a money thing.


and you have to collect

" you must come in person Friday, September 21st"
NTG1610

Re: Oceana air show

Postby NTG1610 on Thu 02 Aug 2018, 8:15 am

ErrolC wrote:
Tommy wrote:Doesn't say they are any extra anywhere I can see, nor is there any "Jet Fan Pass" ticketing option.

Any people going to this airshow will need to pay heed to the deadline of 31st August to send in your registration forms:

...
Sounds like a security thing rather than a money thing.


200mm seems arbitrary, as there are 300mm zooms that are well smaller than e.g. 70-200mm f2.8's. If it is actually about security, then if it fits in belt pouch then what's the problem (as medium shoulder bags are ok)? They might be wanting to limit numbers (or at least know numbers in advance) of items to x-ray.


It is very strange because if you are press or pick up the jet fan option there are no restrictions on what size lens you can bring in
NTG1610

Re: Oceana air show

Postby ErrolC on Thu 02 Aug 2018, 7:39 pm

NTG1610 wrote:
ErrolC wrote:
Tommy wrote:Doesn't say they are any extra anywhere I can see, nor is there any "Jet Fan Pass" ticketing option.

Any people going to this airshow will need to pay heed to the deadline of 31st August to send in your registration forms:

...
Sounds like a security thing rather than a money thing.


200mm seems arbitrary, as there are 300mm zooms that are well smaller than e.g. 70-200mm f2.8's. If it is actually about security, then if it fits in belt pouch then what's the problem (as medium shoulder bags are ok)? They might be wanting to limit numbers (or at least know numbers in advance) of items to x-ray.


It is very strange because if you are press or pick up the jet fan option there are no restrictions on what size lens you can bring in


Did you read the form? You give them your ID well in advance (e.g. passport and visa no), so they can check you against the 'terrorist' list etc. Apparently they aren't confident they can hide everything in a hangar beyond the reach of say a 300mm with a 1.4x?
ErrolC

Re: Oceana air show

Postby neville on Sat 04 Aug 2018, 5:56 am

These rules are nothing new, they were in force at the base when i visited for the airshow twenty years ago...
neville


Return to North American Events

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest