Thunder over Michigan

Aviation events in the United States and Canada
The Dudster

Thunder over Michigan

Post by The Dudster »

I'm considering going to Thunder over Michigan air show next year 2012 as it's too late for me now to organise things. Does any one know which is the nearest international airport to fly into from the UK and is this a good show to go to for warbirds !?!

Chris :question:
Last edited by Harlequin67 on Sun 13 Feb 2011, 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Edited for grammar.

rstokx

Re: Thunder over Michigan

Post by rstokx »

Hi Chris,

TOM(Thunder Over Michigan) is a very good and very nice airshow. You can see several warbirds, for example the Corsairs, Mustangs, Mitchells and even maybe a B29! The nearest international airport is Chicago O'Hare airport, which is reachable from for instance London Heathrow and Manchester airport. Willow Run airport( where TOM is held) is about 4hrs driving from Chicago. From that city, you can reach many other aviation related things, such as the USAF museum near Wright Patterson AFB.
I will visit this airshow in 2011, probably combined with a basetour at Whiteman AFB, which is located in Missouri ( home of the B-2 stealth bomber) :cool: . If you have other questions about TOM, just feel free to ask them.

Rstokx.
Last edited by rstokx on Sun 13 Feb 2011, 1:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.

The Dudster

Re: thunder over Michigan

Post by The Dudster »

Morning Rstokx (well it is here)

Thanks for that info, most helpful. Driving wont be an option so was hoping to be able to fly into Willow Run so will investigate that option. Looking at Google Earth there are plenty of hotels close by and I guess if I book it early enough I'll get in. (Christmas this year ?)

How far do you reckon USAF museum is and is it possible to use public transport to get there as I hadn't thought of that.

As for TOM I looked at last years pics on the net and there was a large gathering of B17's which is what I'm really looking for as my father has story's about them during the war, according to him he was evacuated to Suffolk and lived on a farm near Debach airfield and as a young boy got a ride in a B17 taxi ride around the airfield, I gather. I have read comments of some kids flying all the way to France on raids. I do Legends here in the UK every year so have been spoilt a bit I guess with war birds and hope TOM was/is a bit like this with the added bonus of fast jets too.
I'll look forward to your photo posts later on in the year

Chris :smile:
Last edited by Harlequin67 on Sun 13 Feb 2011, 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Edited for grammar.

rstokx

Post by rstokx »

Hi Chris,

First of all, It's morning for me as well, because I live in the Netherlands :wink: . And I also visit Flying Legends often, almost each year. In my opinion it's one of the best shows I've ever seen in my life.

Secondly, the USAF museum is located near the city of Dayton, which is about a 5hr drive from Chicago. I think it is the best option is to fly to Dayton, because there is no direct public transportation to the museum and I suppose a taxi drive will be too expensive.

Thirdly, the only option to reach Willow Run by air is to fly by yourself, there are no (commercial) airlines who fly to the airport. This is because it normally is GA airport. And I think it's a good idea to reserve a hotel by Christmas because many of them are early booked for for example many flying crews.

And lastly, in 2010 there was indeed a huge gathering of B-17's, almost each Flying Fortress (7 pieces) from the USA were present at the airshow. In 2011, only one B-17 will be at TOM. But that totally depends on the annual theme. Such as this year, it will be a memorial airshow for the USN because of their 100 years birthday. So not many (old) USAF will attend. But in 2012, that can be totally different.

I hope I've answered all of your questions. If you would like to ask more, feel free to ask.

Roderick

sylvancatharsis

Post by sylvancatharsis »

The Dudster wrote:Does any one know which is the nearest international airport to fly into from the UK

Detroit International. I'm pretty sure you can still fly nonstop from LHR. Willow Run is just outside Detroit. Dayton is about a three-hour drive from Detroit; if driving isn't an option then surely you could catch a flight between the two cities. If you're not renting a car, however, you'll need to do some legwork to get to the USAF Museum, as it's on Wright-Patterson AFB on the other side of the city. Well worth the effort, though.
Author of CULT OF THE WYVERN, a novel about Westland Wyverns and aliens. (Really.)
Flicky Flicky

rstokx

Post by rstokx »

Detroit International Airport might be indeed a better option for only TOM (and the USAF museum). Delta Airlines flies LHR-Detroit one-two times a day. Last year I flew to Chicago O'hare because I combined TOM with the Oshkosh airshow.

PeteFenwick

Post by PeteFenwick »

I am going to TOM and have booked the taxi way arrivals and photography package. Am staying in Ann Arbour if you need a lift if staying nearby? PM me if you want.