Andrews AFB Airshow 2009

Aviation events in the United States and Canada
Downes0106

Andrews AFB Airshow 2009

Post by Downes0106 »

Has anyone visited the show at Andrews? What's it like for photography? I believe its scheduled for May 16/17 next year, and I may try to attend.
Scott

Canon EOS7D, with 30D Back-up
Canon 100-400MM IS, 70-200MM plus some wide-angle/macro stuff

Koen L

Re: Andrews AFB Airshow 2009

Post by Koen L »

sylvancatharsis

Re: Andrews AFB Airshow 2009

Post by sylvancatharsis »

Downes0106 wrote:Has anyone visited the show at Andrews? What's it like for photography? I believe its scheduled for May 16/17 next year, and I may try to attend.

The show is indeed on its usual weekend, 16-17 May, a hectic weekend on the U.S. East Coast with the Marines showing their stuff at both Beaufort and Cherry Point. As for photography... Andrews likes to start the flying early (often around 0900L), when the sun is low in the sky and directly in front of you. Fortunately, by the time the headlining acts (this year the Thunderbirds) take the stage, it's in an exponentially more favorable location, above and behind you. I've gone every year since 1991 and it's consistently a good show, not the best but certainly a good day out - and remember, it's free to get in! They don't allow on-base parking; all spectators are bussed in from either a sports stadium nearby or the local train station. Believe it or not, the park-and-ride system usually works like a fine-tuned machine. The static display is probably the largest of any U.S. military show; T-38s in particular usually show up in droves (except last year, as they were all grounded at the time save for NASA's).
Author of CULT OF THE WYVERN, a novel about Westland Wyverns and aliens. (Really.)
Flicky Flicky