Miramar/ Fleet Week/ North Island

Miramar/ Fleet Week/ North Island

Postby Red Dragon on Fri 23 Dec 2016, 5:27 pm

I'm looking for any travelling advice

As the subject header says, I'm planning on visiting the USA (for the first time) to do the Miramar airshow/ North Island/ USS Midway/ Leathernecks Museum etc, does anyone have any advice or tips on photographing/ locations etc or anything aviation related for my visit in September 2017.

Thanks in advance Guys :smile:
Rik Mayall (07/03/1958 – 09/06/2014) RIP
Robin Williams (21/08/1951 – 11/08/2014) RIP
User avatar
Red Dragon

Re: Miramar/ Fleet Week/ North Island

Postby boff180 on Fri 23 Dec 2016, 9:52 pm

North Island photography is difficult, the beach is your best bet. If you are out early enough, the Coronado Festival of Speed is hosted by the base and usually has a static park of interesting types.

Midway is very cluttered but a brilliant visit.

Miramar show, you shoot into the sun, try and get there early and leave last as people sit under the aircraft for shade! You need to get a good pitch for the MAGTAF demo as that is the highlight of the day. I like to do Leathernecks on the Friday as you get to see all the practices for the show.

If you are mobile, El Centro - March AFRB Museum - Chino and Palm Springs are all within a few hours drive. Yuma is only 90 minutes from El Centro too...

Hope that helps.

Andy
User avatar
boff180
UKAR Staff

Re: Miramar/ Fleet Week/ North Island

Postby Red Dragon on Fri 23 Dec 2016, 10:55 pm

boff180 wrote:North Island photography is difficult, the beach is your best bet. If you are out early enough, the Coronado Festival of Speed is hosted by the base and usually has a static park of interesting types.

Midway is very cluttered but a brilliant visit.

Miramar show, you shoot into the sun, try and get there early and leave last as people sit under the aircraft for shade! You need to get a good pitch for the MAGTAF demo as that is the highlight of the day. I like to do Leathernecks on the Friday as you get to see all the practices for the show.

If you are mobile, El Centro - March AFRB Museum - Chino and Palm Springs are all within a few hours drive. Yuma is only 90 minutes from El Centro too...

Hope that helps.

Andy


Many thanks Andy,

I have a few other questions for you if you could advise me?

I've been told too go for a ride on the harbour tour out to Point Loma where I might be able to photograph any arrivals/departures? Have you tried to photograph the USCG aircraft based over the road from the airport? Have you been inside the San Diego Air & Space Museum in Balboa Park? are the aircraft photograph-able?

For this trip, I am basing myself solely in San Diego, if I enjoy the trip I will set up a longer trip to visit other bases around US.
Rik Mayall (07/03/1958 – 09/06/2014) RIP
Robin Williams (21/08/1951 – 11/08/2014) RIP
User avatar
Red Dragon

Re: Miramar/ Fleet Week/ North Island

Postby boff180 on Sun 25 Dec 2016, 5:21 am

I've not been out to Point Loma, I did try to drive to it a few years back but couldn't find the route to it. You have to pass the Sub base and I kept finding roads that lead to the gate! Personally I wouldn't think you'd get good arrival/departure shots from there you are a bit far out. You would get a good view of the pans though, these can be seen from Harbour Island too which is directly under the approach to the cross runway at North Island.

I've not been to the museum so can't comment on that.

Spotting at the USCG is difficult, it's a very busy road with very very high fences patrolled by airport security. I've found if they're up on training and not on a shout they usually buzz the Midway when returning to base.

A must whilst in San Diego is to go Whale watching, there are Whales just off the shore all year round. I can personally recommend http://sdwhalewatch.com they're the original all year round outfit and know what they're doing.

Andy
User avatar
boff180
UKAR Staff

Re: Miramar/ Fleet Week/ North Island

Postby Red Dragon on Sun 25 Dec 2016, 10:13 am

boff180 wrote:I've not been out to Point Loma, I did try to drive to it a few years back but couldn't find the route to it. You have to pass the Sub base and I kept finding roads that lead to the gate! Personally I wouldn't think you'd get good arrival/departure shots from there you are a bit far out. You would get a good view of the pans though, these can be seen from Harbour Island too which is directly under the approach to the cross runway at North Island.

I've not been to the museum so can't comment on that.

Spotting at the USCG is difficult, it's a very busy road with very very high fences patrolled by airport security. I've found if they're up on training and not on a shout they usually buzz the Midway when returning to base.

A must whilst in San Diego is to go Whale watching, there are Whales just off the shore all year round. I can personally recommend http://sdwhalewatch.com they're the original all year round outfit and know what they're doing.

Andy


Thanks for the additional info, and a Merry Xmas to you Andy :smile:
Rik Mayall (07/03/1958 – 09/06/2014) RIP
Robin Williams (21/08/1951 – 11/08/2014) RIP
User avatar
Red Dragon

Re: Miramar/ Fleet Week/ North Island

Postby Ross Forsyth on Thu 29 Dec 2016, 10:09 am

Point Loma ain`t to hard to find,just follow the road all the way up for Cabrillo National Monument leads you right into the parking lot,then just go over by the actual monument of Cabrillo,it`s as close
as you are going to get to the approach and as Boff says gives a great view over the base but aircraft can be distant depending on the line they take towards the base.
You really need something like a Herc,P-3 or larger to get something worthwhile in my opinion or very lucky with the crew flying closer than normal.
It was a rather windy and grey day when I was up there for an hour or so and this was the closest Helo to photograph just to give you an idea,shot with a 500mm with a 2x Teleconverter on a 1.4 crop body and hasn`t been cropped
or edited as such,the second shot shows part of the main ramp from up there with the same camera/lens combo.

Hope it`s of some help

Image

Image
Ross Forsyth

Re: Miramar/ Fleet Week/ North Island

Postby Red Dragon on Thu 29 Dec 2016, 12:33 pm

:clap:

Many thanks Ross, 500mm lens! Ok I think Point Loma can be relegated to lower down the "to visit" list! Have you visited Coronado Beach? Could you possibly provide me with a photo/ review of about where would be best to sit and wait? I was advised that if you are anywhere near the approach to the 36 Runway it is best to carry ID with you just in case base security might wander over to question you? (Seems they are used to UK/ Dutch aviation photographers there). Any other information about where to position myself when around North Island, USS Midway, Coastguard station, Miramar, Leathernecks museum and possibly a quick visit to Camp Pendleton would be most useful :smile:
Rik Mayall (07/03/1958 – 09/06/2014) RIP
Robin Williams (21/08/1951 – 11/08/2014) RIP
User avatar
Red Dragon

Re: Miramar/ Fleet Week/ North Island

Postby Ross Forsyth on Thu 29 Dec 2016, 9:21 pm

Hi

Sorry only done North Island back in 2001 when I was still shooting film and had decided it really wasn`t worth me going back again on this trip,although you would be correct about carrying some ID with you,from what i`ve heard you`re better
being down on the sand and shooting from there to avoid getting to much attention?
Ross Forsyth

Re: Miramar/ Fleet Week/ North Island

Postby Red Dragon on Thu 29 Dec 2016, 11:24 pm

Ross Forsyth wrote:Hi

Sorry only done North Island back in 2001 when I was still shooting film and had decided it really wasn`t worth me going back again on this trip,although you would be correct about carrying some ID with you,from what i`ve heard you`re better
being down on the sand and shooting from there to avoid getting to much attention?


Ok, thanks for your advice anyway :smile:
Rik Mayall (07/03/1958 – 09/06/2014) RIP
Robin Williams (21/08/1951 – 11/08/2014) RIP
User avatar
Red Dragon

Re: Miramar/ Fleet Week/ North Island

Postby RichPittman on Fri 30 Dec 2016, 4:03 pm

Am I the only 1 to rave over North Island???
Ok its not what it use to be but sat on the beach with them banking in on 29 :cool:

Image
Always remember "If you cannot turn tight...you cannot fight!"
User avatar
RichPittman

Re: Miramar/ Fleet Week/ North Island

Postby D90Man on Fri 30 Dec 2016, 6:10 pm

Coronado Beach is definitely a good spot if they are landing on 29...

There are some shots (perhaps a tad over sharpened but they give you a feel for what its like) on my post http://forums.airshows.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=39671

The originals were taken with an 18-200mm - for example the first Greyhound shot was at 112mm and was half the frame...

hth

Leon
"Sharpness is in the eye of the holder"
More at http://www.planephotos.org.uk
User avatar
D90Man

Re: Miramar/ Fleet Week/ North Island

Postby Red Dragon on Fri 30 Dec 2016, 8:23 pm

Many thanks for the information RichPittman & D90Man :smile:

So it seems the best thing to do is get onto the beach for a day and plant myself somewhere between runways 29 and 36, and prep the camera and make sure I have enough factor 50 and water. Did either of you use a scanner while there?

Then to finish the day off, I'd have to swing by the Coronado hotel (to pay homage to one of my favourite films :smile: ) for a beer before returning to my hotel :smile:
Rik Mayall (07/03/1958 – 09/06/2014) RIP
Robin Williams (21/08/1951 – 11/08/2014) RIP
User avatar
Red Dragon

Re: Miramar/ Fleet Week/ North Island

Postby D90Man on Fri 30 Dec 2016, 9:50 pm

Didn't use a scanner - just took my chances for an hour or so....what time of year are you there?

Leon
"Sharpness is in the eye of the holder"
More at http://www.planephotos.org.uk
User avatar
D90Man

Re: Miramar/ Fleet Week/ North Island

Postby Red Dragon on Fri 30 Dec 2016, 10:47 pm

D90Man wrote:Didn't use a scanner - just took my chances for an hour or so....what time of year are you there?

Leon


If all goes to plan I'm hoping to be there for the end of September to do Miramar etc for about 7 - 10 days, as long as the money gods play ball :lol:
Rik Mayall (07/03/1958 – 09/06/2014) RIP
Robin Williams (21/08/1951 – 11/08/2014) RIP
User avatar
Red Dragon

Re: Miramar/ Fleet Week/ North Island

Postby D90Man on Sat 31 Dec 2016, 1:24 am

Depending on your inclination you might want to try contacting the Public Affairs Office for US Navy Aviation Pacific Fleet - they were very helpful when I asked for a base tour of North Island. I was taken to two SH60 squadrons and also out to the departure hover point.

Leon
"Sharpness is in the eye of the holder"
More at http://www.planephotos.org.uk
User avatar
D90Man

Re: Miramar/ Fleet Week/ North Island

Postby RichPittman on Sat 31 Dec 2016, 2:14 am

It's military property between 29 and the cross runway .
They use to use the cross runway at weekends. And 29 to land during the week. Never 11 to land as the San Diego airport is in the way???
Always remember "If you cannot turn tight...you cannot fight!"
User avatar
RichPittman

Re: Miramar/ Fleet Week/ North Island

Postby boff180 on Sat 31 Dec 2016, 8:20 am

The cross runway is turned into a racetrack for the festival of speed during fleet week.

The base remained operational however and a C-17 did arrive whilst we were watching the racing using 29.

The base is very friendly, I have a feature report to write on it when I get time, we had a tour in 2015.
User avatar
boff180
UKAR Staff

Re: Miramar/ Fleet Week/ North Island

Postby Red Dragon on Sat 31 Dec 2016, 1:32 pm

D90Man wrote:Depending on your inclination you might want to try contacting the Public Affairs Office for US Navy Aviation Pacific Fleet - they were very helpful when I asked for a base tour of North Island. I was taken to two SH60 squadrons and also out to the departure hover point.

Leon


I'll be contacting them once I get tickets and flight booked (once I know for certain I'm going) :grin:

RichPittman wrote:It's military property between 29 and the cross runway .
They use to use the cross runway at weekends. And 29 to land during the week. Never 11 to land as the San Diego airport is in the way???


Thanks for that, as that was one question I was going to ask now. On Google Earth it doesn't seem to be a very clear "line" So thanks for the answer :smile:

boff180 wrote:I have a feature report to write on it when I get time, we had a tour in 2015.


I look forward to reading it Andy, if you could add some other photo locations for North Island :-)

Thank you all for your input any other advice about Miramar would be great.
Rik Mayall (07/03/1958 – 09/06/2014) RIP
Robin Williams (21/08/1951 – 11/08/2014) RIP
User avatar
Red Dragon

Re: Miramar/ Fleet Week/ North Island

Postby DOUGHNUT on Thu 12 Jan 2017, 9:51 am

Couple of things to check up on about aviation museums in the local area.
Last time I did NAS Miramar show the Leathernecks museum was closed on the Thursday before the airshow, this to allow staff to prepare their displays. Dont think access is available during the airshow either, they were also closed Monday's
The Aerospace Museum at Balbo Park has good indoor displays but is hard to photograph, its dark and very cramped. Do not forget to visit their reserve collection and restoration shop at Gillespie Field, a few miles north east of the city, again check their opening times.
DOUGHNUT

Re: Miramar/ Fleet Week/ North Island

Postby Red Dragon on Fri 13 Jan 2017, 7:29 pm

DOUGHNUT wrote:Couple of things to check up on about aviation museums in the local area.
Last time I did NAS Miramar show the Leathernecks museum was closed on the Thursday before the airshow, this to allow staff to prepare their displays. Dont think access is available during the airshow either, they were also closed Monday's


Ok thanks "Doughnut" I think I might attend the Leathernecks museum, on either the Monday or Tuesday, thanks

DOUGHNUT wrote:Couple of things to check up on about aviation museums in the local area.
The Aerospace Museum at Balbo Park has good indoor displays but is hard to photograph, its dark and very cramped. Do not forget to visit their reserve collection and restoration shop at Gillespie Field, a few miles north east of the city, again check their opening times.


I had no idea they had a reserve collection! Thanks for the advice :-) Any other information would be greatly received :-)
Rik Mayall (07/03/1958 – 09/06/2014) RIP
Robin Williams (21/08/1951 – 11/08/2014) RIP
User avatar
Red Dragon

Re: Miramar/ Fleet Week/ North Island

Postby DOUGHNUT on Tue 17 Jan 2017, 12:12 pm

Gillespie Museum contact details http://gillespiefield.com/museums/

Miramar Museum contact details, closed Mondays, note this is quite common in the USA https://www.flyingleathernecks.org/

Anything else PM me.
DOUGHNUT

Re: Miramar/ Fleet Week/ North Island

Postby Red Dragon on Tue 17 Jan 2017, 1:38 pm

Will do Doughnut, once I've firmed up the dates etc :-)
Rik Mayall (07/03/1958 – 09/06/2014) RIP
Robin Williams (21/08/1951 – 11/08/2014) RIP
User avatar
Red Dragon

Re: Miramar/ Fleet Week/ North Island

Postby Darkstar on Wed 26 Apr 2017, 10:25 pm

Red Dragon,I didn't end up going to Avalon,hence no info.Just wanted to let u know.I'm sure I'll catch up with u on the circuit one day.Cheers mate.
Darkstar


Return to North American Events

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest