MAKS

Discuss airshows, exercises and spotter days outside of Europe and North America
AARDVARK

MAKS

Post by AARDVARK »

Hi everyone,

Anyone going to MAKS this year.

Was considering going with Ian Allan tours,how do you get hold of trade tickets? :smile:

flybynight

Re: MAKS

Post by flybynight »

I've taken the bull by the horns (having seen photos posted on UKAR from the last show) and actually booked the hotel and the flights (returning via Warsaw for Radom the following week). The hardest part is now trying to organise / understand the VISA requirements, which by all accounts is going to be a nightmare and expensive! The next step, I guess, is to learn how to read the local train station in Russian. Hopefully my Russian work colleague will help me on that front before I go!

The Ian Allen option seems so much easier but unfortuantely my Bank Manager/balance requires me to go on a more adventurous, cost cutting, form of trip.

DeanW

Post by DeanW »

I'm hoping to get to MAKS this year, as I've found some relatively inexpensive flights.
flybynight wrote:I've taken the bull by the horns (having seen photos posted on UKAR from the last show) and actually booked the hotel and the flights (returning via Warsaw for Radom the following week). The hardest part is now trying to organise / understand the VISA requirements, which by all accounts is going to be a nightmare and expensive! The next step, I guess, is to learn how to read the local train station in Russian. Hopefully my Russian work colleague will help me on that front before I go!

This site has some information about getting a visa, which says its between $50 and $100 for a visa processing fee. But then do you have to pay for the actual visa itself? Or is that just for people travelling to Russia on business?
Also if anyone has any tips and experiences about travelling in Russia I'd quite like to hear them!

flybynight

Post by flybynight »

A single-entry tourist visa for UK Passport holders is currently £50.00 plus there is also a £26.40 admin Fee plus special delivery postage. You also need a “Letter of Invitation” from the Russian Ministry of Foreign Affairs, and a tourist voucher. My hotel provided both of these, but I believe there are agency's that can arrange this for you at extra cost.

The VISA application site, complete with most details, can be found here http://ru.vfsglobal.co.uk/allaboutyourvisas.html

DeanW wrote:I'm hoping to get to MAKS this year, as I've found some relatively inexpensive flights.

There are some good offers about. My return flights were £196 and that includes the flight between Moscow and Warsaw for the Radom show! It always amazes me that adding an extra flight is sometimes cheaper than a normal return.

DeanW wrote:Also if anyone has any tips and experiences about travelling in Russia I'd quite like to hear them!

Like you say, hopefully there are others out there that can share there previous experiences with us. It was never going to be easy but I do love a challenge!

TLM

Post by TLM »

If you are travelling by train, the quickest way is from Moscow Kazanskiy. In 2009 there were additional express services for MAKS running every half hour, on the hour.

Travel from Kazanskiy to Ramanskoye. Very cheap and only around 30-40 minutes. You then need to change trains and get a local stopping service back north to either Platforma 42 or Platforma Otdykh (See google maps). From here a free shuttle bus takes you to the entrance of Zhukovsky.

This was a very simple and cheap way of getting to and from the event each day. Even on trade days there are plenty of crowds at the stations, you wont get lost.

Tim

DeanW

Post by DeanW »

flybynight wrote:A single-entry tourist visa for UK Passport holders is currently £50.00 plus there is also a £26.40 admin Fee plus special delivery postage. You also need a “Letter of Invitation” from the Russian Ministry of Foreign Affairs, and a tourist voucher. My hotel provided both of these, but I believe there are agency's that can arrange this for you at extra cost.

The VISA application site, complete with most details, can be found here http://ru.vfsglobal.co.uk/allaboutyourvisas.html

Thanks for the link, very helpful!
I suppose all the hassle of getting a visa would be worth it for the likes of some Backfires, Bears and Blackjacks :biggrin:

TLM wrote:If you are travelling by train, the quickest way is from Moscow Kazanskiy. In 2009 there were additional express services for MAKS running every half hour, on the hour.

Travel from Kazanskiy to Ramanskoye. Very cheap and only around 30-40 minutes. You then need to change trains and get a local stopping service back north to either Platforma 42 or Platforma Otdykh (See google maps). From here a free shuttle bus takes you to the entrance of Zhukovsky.

Bloody brilliant bit of info there, thanks Tim! Was wondering how easy it is travelling around without hiring a car, but that sounds like a winning option.

TheSpur8

Post by TheSpur8 »

AARDVARK wrote:Hi everyone,

Was considering going with Ian Allan tours,how do you get hold of trade tickets? :smile:

Hi, I am thinking seriously abut going with Ian Allan Tours but thought the trade show day was included in the cost?

"We attend twice - on a Trade Day, and a
Public Day. With our VIP ticket we drive right
on to Zhukovsky airfield"
Canon 7D2,
Canon 5D3,
EF100-400L mk2 4.5-5.6 IS,
EFS17-55 2.8 IS,
EF28-70L

AARDVARK

Post by AARDVARK »

TheSpur8 wrote:
AARDVARK wrote:Hi everyone,

Hi, I am thinking seriously abut going with Ian Allan Tours but thought the trade show day was included in the cost?

"We attend twice - on a Trade Day, and a
Public Day. With our VIP ticket we drive right
on to Zhukovsky airfield"

Yeah sorry my post sounded confusing,I meant if you go on your own I wondered how you get trade tickets.

I have booked up with Ian Allan now,only problem is they cannot def say tour is on until they have min of 10 bookings,so get those booking forms off :biggrin:

Also what can I expect from flying and static,do you get to see older aircraft like bear,backfire,mig 31 or is it just the new stuff,rather like farnborough?

TheSpur8

Post by TheSpur8 »

Sorry Aardvark it wasn't meant to be funny. I am in the process of sending in my application so hopefully there will be enough to make the trip viable.

Likewise I am interested to know what sort of aircraft we are likely to see? Anyone have any ideas of what's likely?

Cheers
Canon 7D2,
Canon 5D3,
EFS17-55 2.8 IS,
EF28-70L

flybynight

Post by flybynight »

TheSpur8 wrote:Likewise I am interested to know what sort of aircraft we are likely to see? Anyone have any ideas of what's likely?Cheers

Well this is why I have booked this year :drool:
http://forums.airshows.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=14922&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&hilit=maks
http://forums.airshows.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=20550&p=217803&hilit=maks#p217803
Those images from Tim and Hesja back in 2009 have stuck with me ever since.
Let's hope for some of the same.

TheSpur8

Post by TheSpur8 »

flybynight wrote:
TheSpur8 wrote:Likewise I am interested to know what sort of aircraft we are likely to see? Anyone have any ideas of what's likely?Cheers

Well this is why I have booked this year :drool:
http://forums.airshows.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=14922&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&hilit=maks
http://forums.airshows.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=20550&p=217803&hilit=maks#p217803
Those images from Tim and Hesja back in 2009 have stuck with me ever since.
Let's hope for some of the same.

WOW, I hope we see some of that....I can't wait.
Canon 7D2,
Canon 5D3,
EFS17-55 2.8 IS,
EF28-70L

Flankerman

Post by Flankerman »

TheSpur8 wrote:Likewise I am interested to know what sort of aircraft we are likely to see? Anyone have any ideas of what's likely?
Cheers

In the early days that I went (1993 first time) there were flypasts by Tu-95MS (Bear), Tu-22M3 (Backfire) & Tu-160 (Blackjack) - but in recent years it has turned into a (mainly) trade show - showing the latest Flankers from Sukhoi.

There has been a Blackjack and a Bear - but only in the static - I haven't seen a Backfire for years.

It's more like Farnborough than Fairford.

If you want to know what's on offer, check out my website of trip reports over the years.....

MAKS 2005 (with Ian Allan)
MAKS 2007 (with George Pick)
MAKS 2009 (with George Pick)

Other trips (Ukraine, China, Russia etc)

Also, the place gets heaving on public days (and it aint exactly quiet on trade days!!)

Be prepared to be pushed and jostled by the gazillions of Muscovites on a day out!!!

You get there early, find a good spot on the flightline - and then gradually get surrounded by the locals as they arrive during the day.

There is no 'first come' etiquette.....

I'm still going this year though - with George Pick Aerotours.

One final thing to put a bit of a dampener on your enthusiasm - those stunning photos linked to above were probably taken nearer to the action by someone with a press pass - and on trade days (and by a much better photographer than me!)

I'm not trying to put you off - it's a great show and I have been every years since 1993 - just be prepared to be a (bit) disappointed.

Ken

TheSpur8

Post by TheSpur8 »

Hi Ken

Thanks for the Heads Up, trouble is your piccies have made me more excited about what I might see. Very nice pictures.

Cheers

Andy

:cool:
Canon 7D2,
Canon 5D3,
EFS17-55 2.8 IS,
EF28-70L

flybynight

Post by flybynight »

Team Viper and the US F-15E East Demo team have been confirmed on their own respective websites.

AARDVARK

Post by AARDVARK »

Hi there below is excerts of latest news release about this year's show...........

“MAKS 2011” Organizing Committee Meeting
The meeting of the Organizing Committee on Preparation and Holding of the 10th International Aviation and Space Salon “MAKS 2011” was held in Moscow on March 22d. It was chaired by Victor Khristenko, Minister of Industry and Trade of the Russian Federation.

During the Organizing Committee meeting, the following key issues have been reviewed: preparation of the exhibition complex for holding the Salon, formation of the exhibition, business and flight programs, security assurance and access mode procedure.

Vladimir Borisov, Director General of Aviasalon JSC, noted that the anniversary 10th Salon MAKS 2011 will be held in the year of honoring the century of the Russian aviation and the 50th anniversary of the first human space flight. These outstanding events will be reflected in the exposition, and the retrospective review of national aviation and space technology development will become one of the elements of the exhibition complex design.

The tradition of holding the Official Delegations Day will be continued at MAKS 2011. On this day, the country’s leaders and the heads of official delegations will get acquainted with the exposition. Therefore, only exhibitors, negotiating parties, accredited mass media representatives and visitors having passes or authorized by the Organizing Committee will be admitted to the exhibition complex territory on August 16, the first day of the Salon.

On August 17-18, the most favorable working conditions for experts, business visitors and mass-media representatives will be created. The extensive business program numbering about 20 congress events is planned. The main part of these events will be held in the territory of Transport Exhibition Center “Russia”. While conducting business events, the flight demonstration program will be shortened as it was during the previous salon.

On August 19, 20 and 21, an aviation festival, which this year coincides with the Russian Air Fleet Day (third Sunday of August), will take place. Traditionally, the flight program will include the demonstration of the advanced civil and military aviation equipment, as well as the performance of air display teams. Currently, 18 Russian and 3 foreign aircrafts have already been registered to take part in the exhibition. Participation of the “Rus” air display team and the air display teams of the Russian Air Force has been preliminary confirmed, negotiations with the foreign teams Patrouille de France (France) and Patrulla Águila (Spain), as well as with “Airbus” and “The Boeing Company” are under way. The extensive exposition of the United States Air Force will be presented at the static display. Cultural and entertaining activities are set to be held.

The air show management team performed the work regarding improvement of the transport accessibility. Four independent automobile routes from Moscow will be organized. A carpool parking lot at Bykovo will be arranged for automobile owners; the parking lot in the territory of the Flight and Research Institute named after Gromov will be increased up to 10 thousand places. Three checkpoints are being organized to provide access to the exhibition complex territory.

In the process of MAKS 2011 preparation, special attention is paid to public safety assurance. The Ministry of the Interior of Russia will organize the work of a temporary emergency response center responsible for ensuring order and public safety.

Additional information

Russ

Post by Russ »

USAF Participants at MAKS 2011

Representatives of the US Air Force acknowledged the participation of the following aircrafts in the International Aviation and Space Salon: strike-fighter A-10, C-130J “Hercules”, C-5 “Galaxy”, two jet fighters F-16C, B-52 and tanker-cargo aircrafts KC-135 and KC-10.

According to preliminary data, USAFE aircrafts F-15E will present this year a new 15 minutes long flying program. Its demonstration flights will be commented both in English and in Russian languages.

Flankerman

Post by Flankerman »

The USAF have been there before.

They displayed at MAKS in 2005...... with a Bone in the flying display.....

The crowds were ten deep in front of the US static display - asking for autographs etc.

Most of the Russians had never met an American face-to-face.

The USAF crews seemed very friendly - but a bit nervous and twitchy as some of the Russians tried to step over the barrier to be photographed with an American !!!

In 2007, an F-15 put on one of the best displays I have ever seen it do .....

....but then Anatoly Kvotchur went up in the Su-30 and totally blew him away.....

Ken

flybynight

Post by flybynight »

Rafale is now scheduled to attend

Flankerman

Post by Flankerman »

flybynight wrote:Rafale is now scheduled to attend

Enough already !!!!

I go to MAKS to see RUSSIAN aircraft - I can see F-15's and Rafales at Fairford !!!!

I know the Muscovites love seeing western aircraft - but I spend a fortune going to MAKS and I don't want it full of 'foreigners' .

IIRC, the French had an aircraft in the flying display a few years ago - Mirage 2000 I think (although it might have been a Rafale) - although I can't find my photograph of it.

They also had the Patrouille de France there - as well as the Italians with the Frecce Tricolori and a G-222.

The Patrouille wowed the Russian crowd when they switched their smoke trails from the Red/White/Blue of the French flag to the White/Blue/Red of the Russian flag - the locals went wild when they noticed it !!!!

Ken

TheSpur8

Post by TheSpur8 »

I have to agree with Flankerman, my only reason for booking this trip is to see heavy metal Russian aircraft! I am not adverse to seeing the American/French stuff but please more of the sukhoi and Migs......and any other Russians hard ware.
Canon 7D2,
Canon 5D3,
EFS17-55 2.8 IS,
EF28-70L

Flankerman

Post by Flankerman »

The trouble with MAKS is that it is more Farnborough than Fairford.........

It is a manufacturers show - not an Air Force one - so lots of new Flanker prototypes, but very little operational stuff.

Although last time (2009) the 4th TsBP i PLS - Aircrew Training Centre at Lipetsk provided no less than six of their aircraft to pad out an otherwise thin static lineup.

2009 photos here and here

In the early days (my first visit in 1993) we were treated to flying displays by Tu-22M3 Backfire, Tu-95MS Bear and Tu-160 Blackjack - but I have only seen the latter two in the static in recent years.

The other downside is the increasing numbers of Russian spectators - the place is now heaving with hundreds of thousands of Muscovites having a day out.

They are ten deep in front of the exhibits and, unless you get a trade day ticket, you can't get near the displays at the weekend............

And when the flying display began - they all started flying kites !!!!!!

I'll still be there though............................

Ken

AARDVARK

Post by AARDVARK »

THE FIFTH GENERATION FIGHTER AIRCRAFT PAK FA WILL BE DEMONSTRATED AT MAKS-2011 AIR SHOW
      The Fifth Generation Fighter Aircraft – Prospective Airborne Complex – Frontline Aviation (PAK FA) will be presented to the public at International Aviation and Space Salon MAKS 2011, Interfax informs. The president of UAC, Mikhail Pogosyan has reported about this fact. "We intend to present PAK FA to the public at MAKS-2011", - he said.
      In addition, Pogosyan said that Sukhoi Civil Aircraft is going to demonstrate Sukhoi SuperJet 100 in France at Le Bourget air show and he believes that the signing of some contracts on the jet’s deliveries is quite possible.

From MAKS website :smile:

flybynight

Post by flybynight »

Flankerman wrote:Enough already !!!!
I go to MAKS to see RUSSIAN aircraft - I can see F-15's and Rafales at Fairford !!!!
I know the Muscovites love seeing western aircraft - but I spend a fortune going to MAKS and I don't want it full of 'foreigners' .
Ken

...they have added the Italians С-27J and the A380 :grin:

Flankerman

Post by Flankerman »

flybynight wrote:
Flankerman wrote:Enough already !!!!
Ken

...they have added the Italians С-27J and the A380 :grin:

Nooooooo!

He was there in 2005......

It gets worse - no Russians at Fairford and more and more western stuff at MAKS......

Ken

DeanW

Post by DeanW »

I wouldn't mind seeing the C27J there, will probably get the full display that we don't see at RIAT.