Avalon Air Show 2009 - Anybody here attending?

Discuss airshows, exercises and spotter days outside of Europe and North America
StereoImage

Avalon Air Show 2009 - Anybody here attending?

Post by StereoImage »

Luckily for me my employer finishes an Australian tour in Melbourne on the 9th of march :) So I am staying in melbourne for the week to attend the Airshow for 6 days (3 trade + 3 Public). Is anybody else here attending? The 2007 show was amazing! You can see my photos from that show here:

Air Displays: http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v128/ ... 0Displays/

Static: http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v128/ ... 0Displays/

People: http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v128/ ... US/People/

This Airshow is well worth the trip if you can make it! I have bought 2 days of premium gold grantstand seats and the other days I will be slumming it with the peasants... I find I get much better photos if i spend some time away from the Grandstand for a day or two. Highlights expected at this years show include the F-35, F-22 and Malaysian Flankers, plus the friday night dusk show.
Get in soon to book your accomodation in Geelong otherwise its a long trainride from Melbourne every day...

Cheers!

Chris Gee

sln

Re: Avalon Air Show 2009 - Anybody here attending?

Post by sln »

I'm planing to go for a 3 week holiday in Australia at that time. Starting in Melbourne, attending the airshow in the weekend, Saturday and Sunday, and then going north the Sydney and so on.

But since I'm traveling with 2-3 others, that isn't into aviation I don't have planed the airshow yet - but 1 or 2 of them said they would like to come to the airshow with me. So I have a few questions.
Since they are not into aviation, and it's kind of expensive for the 2 days gold pass. Will it be worth going for the gold pass, as you mention that you get better photos if you spend a day or two from the grandstand?

We are properly staying in Melbourne, and then taking the drive each day, will this be a stupid idea? If I think to recall that it's around 60-80km from Melbourne?

Regards,
Søren
FLYMAG - Scandinavian aviation magazine:
www.flymag.dk
www.facebook.com/flymag.dk/

StereoImage

Post by StereoImage »

Hi mate. I would recommend the Gold Pass for photogrphy for sure! nobody's head in the way... no elbow pushing... If you are there for only 2 days i would definately recommend getting a gold pass for the friday. Driving to the airshow would be a mission indeed.... but could be done. You get preferential parking with the gold pass... I would recommend getting the train if you are staying in melbourne. I trained to & from the airshow last time , its about 30mins train + 15mins bus each way. I'd say it would be a 1.5 to 2 hour drive with the traffic?
but there is another issue... if you are coming to Oz for a holiday... Come To New Zealand!!! Is only 3 hours flight and you can fly straight into queenstown from OZ :)

Hope this helps and See you there!
"A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon"
Napoleon Bonaparte

Russ

Post by Russ »

StereoImage wrote:Highlights expected at this years show include the F-35

Highly unlikely I think, hope I'm wrong. There should only be three flying at the time of the show (AA-1, BF-1 and BF-2) and they will all be involved in the test programme - I doubt LM could spare one for a week in Oz. Plastic one is a certainty though! :wink:

sln

Post by sln »

Hi again,

And thanks for the help. I'm considering leaving the others in Melbourne for the two days then and then go by my self to the airshow :whistle:

I will properly have more questions as the we come closer, but now I first need to order some plane tickets. New Zealand is tempting, but I don't think I can get the others to come with, so it must be next time :smile:

Well I also doubt the F-35 is coming, but we will properly see a lot to it in the near future, so it's okay for me to wait a year or three to see it. And if there is Malaysian Flankers.. :rock:
FLYMAG - Scandinavian aviation magazine:
www.flymag.dk
www.facebook.com/flymag.dk/