Australian International Airshow Avalon 2015

Australian International Airshow Avalon 2015

Postby MRTT on Sun 26 Oct 2014, 9:52 am

Next years show is taking place from 24th February-1st March.
Last edited by MRTT on Sun 26 Oct 2014, 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2016 Shows
Duxford Spring
Weston
Cosford
Yeovilton
RIAT
Bournemouth
Jersey
User avatar
MRTT

Re: Australian International Airshow Avalon 2015

Postby AARDVARK on Sun 26 Oct 2014, 1:45 pm

Planning to attend ..
But I don't expect the amount of USAF backing as in previous years,so may be light on heavy hardware, especially in the flying display...
On flip side may get extra warbirds/classic jets!
AARDVARK

Re: Australian International Airshow Avalon 2015

Postby Red Dragon on Sun 26 Oct 2014, 4:07 pm

Well I'll be travelling down there for the Thursday to Sunday. As it's the 100th anniversary of WW1/ Gallipoli they are hoping to get some Turkish Air Force to attend along with the Japanese, so hoping for JASDF F-15! Usually the US do send a very assorted mix and in 2013 there were 3 USAF air displays (F-22, F-16 and C-17) when we could have had (if sequestration hadn't started) the USMC CV-22 and a 2nd F-16 display (from another Sqn) They were 95% close to getting the Russian Knights to attend so here's hoping!

I'm hoping that there will be the "airfield attack" bringing in the Army copters along with the RAAF. I'm just hoping that the Neptune warbird does a display and they do a tribute flypast of the Hudson, Catalina, Neptune and Orion in formation. I can't wait! :yahoo:
Committee Member, Valley Aviation Society

http://www.valleyaviationsociety.net
User avatar
Red Dragon

Re: Australian International Airshow Avalon 2015

Postby Red Dragon on Sun 26 Oct 2014, 4:15 pm

BrizeWatcher wrote:Next years show is taking place from 24th February-1st March

The first participants for have been announced

Royal Australian Air Force
Boeing F-18 Hornet (F)

Civilian
Paul Bennett Airshows- 2x Pitts S1 Special (F)
Fokker Biplanes & Triplanes x6 (F) (TYPE UN-CONFIRMED)
Boomerang (F)
Pilatus PC-24 (S)


Really?

Strange that the official list at 16:13 / 26/ 10/ 2014 http://www.airshow.com.au/airshow2015/PUBLIC/aircraft-display/military-aircraft.asp has nothing, and as yet I've had no e-mail notifications from Avalon.


Whatever I'll I'll be travelling down there for the Thursday to Sunday. As it's the 100th anniversary of WW1/ Gallipoli. I was told there will be HUGE celebrations for the Aussie "Diggers" with set pieces from WW1, WW2, Korea, Vietnam and GW1 era's Bring it on Diggers!! :yahoo: :rock:
Committee Member, Valley Aviation Society

http://www.valleyaviationsociety.net
User avatar
Red Dragon

Re: Australian International Airshow Avalon 2015

Postby MRTT on Sun 26 Oct 2014, 4:20 pm

Red Dragon wrote:
BrizeWatcher wrote:Next years show is taking place from 24th February-1st March

The first participants for have been announced

Royal Australian Air Force
Boeing F-18 Hornet (F)

Civilian
Paul Bennett Airshows- 2x Pitts S1 Special (F)
Fokker Biplanes & Triplanes x6 (F) (TYPE UN-CONFIRMED)
Boomerang (F)
Pilatus PC-24 (S)


Really?

Strange that the official list at 16:13 / 26/ 10/ 2014 http://www.airshow.com.au/airshow2015/PUBLIC/aircraft-display/military-aircraft.asp has nothing, and as yet I've had no e-mail notifications from Avalon.


Whatever I'll I'll be travelling down there for the Thursday to Sunday. As it's the 100th anniversary of WW1/ Gallipoli. I was told there will be HUGE celebrations for the Aussie "Diggers" with set pieces from WW1, WW2, Korea, Vietnam and GW1 era's Bring it on Diggers!! :yahoo: :rock:


Oh, sorry guys if this is not correct, I got the information from This is Flight- not sure how reliable they are.
Last edited by MRTT on Sat 08 Nov 2014, 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
2016 Shows
Duxford Spring
Weston
Cosford
Yeovilton
RIAT
Bournemouth
Jersey
User avatar
MRTT

Re: Australian International Airshow Avalon 2015

Postby Adam L. on Sun 26 Oct 2014, 11:14 pm

Hi, I'm the editor of This is Flight. All information on the Avalon page has been taken from official press releases and from Paul Bennett's own calendar. I'm in contact with the Avalon people and they say that the list will be on their website in the next two weeks. Re RIAT, the Thunderbirds and Smoke Squadron are down as "TBC" - if you read the main text I've explained that there are many rumours, but those two are the most convincing so far, hence their inclusion as "TBC" participants - basically to keep our RIAT press pass we need to keep people excited/interested, so I do occasionally post that sort of thing and, to be fair, it's not actually false information as I did state it was a rumour. Obviously I'm open to suggestions, if you don't want to see that sort of thing I can remove them, but my statistics do show that the audience is about 40% more engaged when they are included.

As for the Turkish Air Force, I did have a brief email conversation with members of the Turkish Stars and they said even Singapore was too far for them, so I wouldn't expect them to go to Avalon. Their only other showpiece is SoloTurk, and I don't see why his range should be much bigger.
Adam Landau
Editor, www.thisisflight.net
Adam L.

Re: Australian International Airshow Avalon 2015

Postby MRTT on Sun 26 Oct 2014, 11:46 pm

Adam L. wrote:Hi, I'm the editor of This is Flight. All information on the Avalon page has been taken from official press releases and from Paul Bennett's own calendar. I'm in contact with the Avalon people and they say that the list will be on their website in the next two weeks. Re RIAT, the Thunderbirds and Smoke Squadron are down as "TBC" - if you read the main text I've explained that there are many rumours, but those two are the most convincing so far, hence their inclusion as "TBC" participants - basically to keep our RIAT press pass we need to keep people excited/interested, so I do occasionally post that sort of thing and, to be fair, it's not actually false information as I did state it was a rumour. Obviously I'm open to suggestions, if you don't want to see that sort of thing I can remove them, but my statistics do show that the audience is about 40% more engaged when they are included.

As for the Turkish Air Force, I did have a brief email conversation with members of the Turkish Stars and they said even Singapore was too far for them, so I wouldn't expect them to go to Avalon. Their only other showpiece is SoloTurk, and I don't see why his range should be much bigger.


Sorry Adam, didn't see TBC
2016 Shows
Duxford Spring
Weston
Cosford
Yeovilton
RIAT
Bournemouth
Jersey
User avatar
MRTT

Re: Australian International Airshow Avalon 2015

Postby LN Strike Eagle on Sun 26 Oct 2014, 11:52 pm

Adam L. wrote:basically to keep our RIAT press pass we need to keep people excited/interested.

Serious?
"You really are an oafish philistine at times!"
User avatar
LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Re: Australian International Airshow Avalon 2015

Postby Adam L. on Sun 26 Oct 2014, 11:57 pm

LN Strike Eagle wrote:
Adam L. wrote:basically to keep our RIAT press pass we need to keep people excited/interested.

Serious?


Yep! Power to the press! To be honest, I'm not sure the press pass really improves the output a huge amount (don't quote me), but I can't pay my contributors so if they don't get some kind of benefit they'd probably all leave!
Adam Landau
Editor, www.thisisflight.net
Adam L.

Re: Australian International Airshow Avalon 2015

Postby DanO1978 on Sun 26 Oct 2014, 11:59 pm

LN Strike Eagle wrote:
Adam L. wrote:basically to keep our RIAT press pass we need to keep people excited/interested.

Serious?


I'll echo that.

The quality of the "review" of RIAT 2014 is certainly not worthy of privileged press access. It is merely written as a list of participants, with no insight or critical rigour applied to the content. The photography too isn't up to muster. One wonders what on earth RIAT benefit from giving a press pass to this sort of operation?

High time ALL airshows reviewed their media access policies and only grant access to accredited journalists from established media with proven track records and sizeable audiences.
DanO1978

Re: Australian International Airshow Avalon 2015

Postby Adam L. on Mon 27 Oct 2014, 2:20 am

DanO1978 wrote:The quality of the "review" of RIAT 2014 is certainly not worthy of privileged press access. It is merely written as a list of participants, with no insight or critical rigour applied to the content. The photography too isn't up to muster. One wonders what on earth RIAT benefit from giving a press pass to this sort of operation?

High time ALL airshows reviewed their media access policies and only grant access to accredited journalists from established media with proven track records and sizeable audiences.


I presume this is referring to the This is Flight Report? If so, I'd appreciate it if you could drop me an email or private message with some constructive criticism so I can pass it on to the author - especially as the contributor in question will be reporting from RIAT and Duxford for us again next year. Our audience is big enough - over 1200 hits per day, which is apparently more than Flightline UK and I thought the photography was pretty good; the RIAT people have been very happy what we've done for them and have personally invited us to return next year. I have no trouble getting passes at other events either, including Farnborough and the Singapore Airshow. If you're not impressed I'd be very interested to hear how we could improve (within the limits of non-professional, unpaid reporters), but everyone else seems fairly happy with what we've achieved, especially for a website that's only been in operation for nine months.
Adam Landau
Editor, www.thisisflight.net
Adam L.

Re: Australian International Airshow Avalon 2015

Postby DanO1978 on Mon 27 Oct 2014, 9:23 am

A "review" is not a list of participating aircraft. It needs to critique the event and the displays.

I notice the RIAT review did get some feedback:

I am editor for the European Airshows FB page. I read youre review of the Airtattoo and want to point out to you the there was no Italian KC767 on static this year at the Airtattoo. However there was a Japanese KC767 on static.


Do you consider the review of Duxford's September show to be of a fit standard?

"There were all sorts of good things flying around and on the ground to see; the ground display was good to look at"


There are many, worthy online media organisations who deserve passes, but equally there are far too many two-bob bedroom operations who blag access which reflects poorly on the show organisers.

With the odd exception down the years, UKAR policy, rightly, has been that you can only review an event from the enthusiast's perspective if you've paid for the ticket like the rest.

And if you do get in for free, the onus is on you to produce something of an exceptional standard, and to be critical without worrying about only saying nice things to guarantee next year's pass.
DanO1978

Re: Australian International Airshow Avalon 2015

Postby Adam L. on Mon 27 Oct 2014, 9:42 am

Well thank you for your feedback (it's not a review, by the way, and the word review was never used). You are entitled to that opinion and I respect that. I don't feel that the suggestion you've made really fits the way we work at the moment but I shall bear what you say in mind. It is interesting, though, that the two you've picked out as poor are by the same author, I shall talk to him about that. Personally I quite like his style, but it's not for everyone. But yes, I do consider it to be of a fit standard considering that for that event we did not have a press pass and the contributor in question was working purely voluntarily and from the best of motives.

So we've had a little disagreement, now let's just agree to disagree and move in with our lives. I have to say that after just 14 hours on the forums this is hardly the reception I expected from a UKAR staff member, but hopefully you won't feel the need to judge me in the future just because you don't like a page I put on my website...

Adam
Adam Landau
Editor, www.thisisflight.net
Adam L.

Re: Australian International Airshow Avalon 2015

Postby DanO1978 on Mon 27 Oct 2014, 9:52 am

I'm not a UKAR staff member, nor am I judging you personally. I disapprove of people generally blagging access to events simply because they run some bedroom website or blog. This does not make you "media".

And if it's not a review, what is it? It's not a feature, a news story or a comment piece.

Duxford at least apply standards and expect to see examples of published work before doling out the freebies - high time other events followed suit and made this standard practice industry-wide.
DanO1978

Re: Australian International Airshow Avalon 2015

Postby Adam L. on Mon 27 Oct 2014, 10:12 am

OK, last one. The title calls the page a "report" - not a review. And This is Flight is not a bedroom website or a blog - we have 7 contributors based in five countries spanning four continents, it's just that 4 of them aren't going to be active until next year as we're so new as a website. I also wouldn't consider us "blagging access" and we usually do have to supply an example of our work. Besides, quite often we are on assignment from a magazine or doing other work behind the scenes, it's usually not just the online report we get the pass for. Aside from covering airshows, our other, much less publicised aim is closer linked to inspiration of young people. I'm currently 15 and first contributed to an aviation magazine over a year ago. When I was still 14 I wrote a 2,000 word article for Airports of the World and a 1,500 word article for Airliner World. This and my website has been used in schools and at a local film festival as a message to students here in Singapore to show what's possible if you have the passion and determination. A couple of contributors are of a similar age to me, although the one you picked out was an adult. I don't know, you seem to suggest I shouldn't have bothered with this whole thing?

You can respond to this if you like, but frankly I don't have the time to deal with it any more, so let's just move on and get back to the topic that this forum is supposed to be for discussing, but I see no need to continue with this conversation and I won't be getting involved.

Not sure why I thought you were admin, by the way, sorry about that.
Adam Landau
Editor, www.thisisflight.net
Adam L.

Re: Australian International Airshow Avalon 2015

Postby AARDVARK on Mon 27 Oct 2014, 10:58 am

Poor Avalon,hi jacked by a couple of journalists ....
Least it's the most posts the page has ever had though :)
AARDVARK

Re: Australian International Airshow Avalon 2015

Postby Adam L. on Mon 27 Oct 2014, 11:04 am

Yeah, sorry about that. A discussion about where I got some of my information has gone a bit off topic. Anyway, I've made a promise to myself to stop talking to DanO1976 now and stick to the Avalon stuff. As I said, it's all from official press releases, if you go to this link you can see it all for yourself http://www.airshow.com.au/airshow2015/T ... leases.asp. Confirmed so far is the Boomerang, RAAF F/A-18, six Fokker WWI aircraft and a PC-24 mock-up. Avalon is also down on Paul Bennett Airshow's calendar for a two-ship Pitts display.
Adam Landau
Editor, www.thisisflight.net
Adam L.

Re: Australian International Airshow Avalon 2015

Postby Adam L. on Fri 31 Oct 2014, 8:33 am

CIVILIAN PARTICIPATION ANNOUNCED:

The Immortals, Pitts S2S, Edge540, Su26 (F)
Wingsuit Jumper, Parachutist and Pitts Special (F)
Antique Aeroplane Association of Australia, Winjeel, CT4 (F)
Vintage Aviators (New Zealand), Fokker DR1, DH5, Sopwith Camel, Nieuport 11, Bristol F2, RAF RE8, Fokker DVII, PFALZ DIII, RAF SE5A, Fokker DVIII (F)
Temora Aviation Museum, Meteor, Sabre, Spitfire, Hudson, Boomerang, Wirraway, Cessna 02A (F)
Australian Vintage Aviation Society, Fokker DR.1, Fokker Eindekker, Fokker DVII, Fokker DVIII (F)
Awesome Global Stars, Extra 300 (F)
Paul Bennet Airshows, Pitts Pro (F)
Otto the Helicopter, S300C (F)
Parachutist (F)
P-51 (F)
C-47 (F)
Sopwith Pup (F)
Dover (F)
Sopwith Snipe (F)
Catalina (F)
Neptune (F)
Caribou (F)
Salto 101 (F)
P-40 (F)
Pilatus PC-24 (S)
(F) – Flying (F/S) – Flying and Static (S) – Static (FP) – Flypast (SP) – Support
Adam Landau
Editor, www.thisisflight.net
Adam L.

Re: Australian International Airshow Avalon 2015

Postby KJ994 on Fri 31 Oct 2014, 9:09 am

A mouth-watering list, thanks for posting. Highlights for me: Meteor and Sabre, Hudson, Catalina, Neptune, C-47, Caribou.

DH Dover, now there's a thought. Flypast with the Fairey Folkestone?
KJ994

Re: Australian International Airshow Avalon 2015

Postby Red Dragon on Fri 31 Oct 2014, 10:07 am

Wow what a list! For me the highlights are the WW1 fighters (To be photographed in hopefully clear blue skies!)

Vintage Aviators (New Zealand), Fokker DR1, DH5, Sopwith Camel, Nieuport 11, Bristol F2, RAF RE8, Fokker DVII, PFALZ DIII, RAF SE5A, Fokker DVIII (F)

Australian Vintage Aviation Society, Fokker DR.1, Fokker Eindekker, Fokker DVII, Fokker DVIII (F)

Sopwith Pup (F)
Sopwith Snipe (F)

As usual the Temora formation flight should be excellent, not to mention varied!

Temora Aviation Museum, Meteor, Sabre, Spitfire, Hudson, Boomerang, Wirraway, Cessna 02A (F)

Hopefully we might be able to see a mixed formation of RAAF Maritime Recon Types
Catalina (F)
Neptune (F)
AP-3C Orion
and a P-8 if there is one visiting

Also a mixed formation of RAAF Transport types
C-47 (F)
Caribou (F)
C-130J Hercules
C-17A Globemaster III

Bring it on Cobber!! :smile:
Committee Member, Valley Aviation Society

http://www.valleyaviationsociety.net
User avatar
Red Dragon

Re: Australian International Airshow Avalon 2015

Postby Adam L. on Fri 31 Oct 2014, 10:10 am

Red Dragon wrote:Wow what a list! ... Bring it on Cobber!! :smile:


And that's not even it - there's more to be announced in the coming weeks, plus all the military and trade visitors!
Adam Landau
Editor, www.thisisflight.net
Adam L.

Re: Australian International Airshow Avalon 2015

Postby tommo999 on Fri 31 Oct 2014, 12:51 pm

KJ994 wrote:
DH Dover, now there's a thought. Flypast with the Fairey Folkestone?


What, and not a Hawker Hythe?
User avatar
tommo999

Re: Australian International Airshow Avalon 2015

Postby Red Dragon on Fri 31 Oct 2014, 3:44 pm

Adam L. wrote:
Red Dragon wrote:Wow what a list! ... Bring it on Cobber!! :smile:


And that's not even it - there's more to be announced in the coming weeks, plus all the military and trade visitors!


I know I'm fully aware of what's to come as I will also be in the media scrum at the show, along with a few other "usual suspects" on the mound. It's just the large presence of the WW1 warbirds and clear blue skies (hopefully) that sounds so good.

Hopefully the rumours of the Brazilian "smoke squadron" making an appearance will be correct as the only chance I got to see them so far was RIAT 2008. So I've still got to see them in the air!
Committee Member, Valley Aviation Society

http://www.valleyaviationsociety.net
User avatar
Red Dragon

Re: Australian International Airshow Avalon 2015

Postby Red Dragon on Fri 31 Oct 2014, 3:47 pm

tommo999 wrote:
KJ994 wrote:
DH Dover, now there's a thought. Flypast with the Fairey Folkestone?


What, and not a Hawker Hythe?


The Drover, made me laugh, it seems the three engined aircraft was specifically built for Australia to cater for sheep drovers in Australia back in the 30's as the plane was used as a mobile store/ HQ from what the commentator said in 2013.
Committee Member, Valley Aviation Society

http://www.valleyaviationsociety.net
User avatar
Red Dragon

Re: Australian International Airshow Avalon 2015

Postby Adam L. on Fri 31 Oct 2014, 10:30 pm

Red Dragon wrote:Hopefully the rumours of the Brazilian "smoke squadron" making an appearance will be correct as the only chance I got to see them so far was RIAT 2008. So I've still got to see them in the air!


I didn't know about that - I'm going to Australia soon, but a few weeks too early for Avalon (what brilliant planning!) so I won't be going myself. I'm all cross about that now as it really is an amazing lineup!
Adam Landau
Editor, www.thisisflight.net
Adam L.

Next

Return to Worldwide Events

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests