MAKS 2017

Discuss airshows, exercises and spotter days outside of Europe and North America
Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Re: MAKS 2017

Post by Wissam24 »

I spent about a month learning Cyrillic before I went out, reading things just to learn the letters. It came in useful. Since then I've actually taken up learning Russian because it was enjoyable to learn!
Twitter: @samwise24 | Flickr: samwise24 | Shamelessly copying LN Strike Eagle's avatar ideas since 2016

Skyflash
UKAR Staff

Post by Skyflash »

Don't get me wrong, I have done (and will continue to do) numerous aviation trips to foreign climes under my own steam, indeed the only time I have ever deviated from this was when I went to Oshkosh last summer with Ian Allan. As terrific as IA are, I much prefer the flexibility of being able to go off and do my own thing, especially at night once the flying is done for the day.

However, I don't think I'm being too much of a wuss to suggest that Russia is a somewhat different kettle of fish...? I'm sure it is do-able, absolutely, but the prospect is rather more daunting than arranging a 3-day jaunt to Zeltweg or Kleine Brogel.

Anyway the man zigzag and I are now discussing the possibility of buddying up so this may well happen... watch this space! :smile:
Posting comments on an aviation-related chatroom, are ya? Looks like it an' all...

spaceward

Post by spaceward »

Bugger ! And I've only just booked my flights with Aeroflot for the August dates !
I've just read this posting on the official Aviasalon site.......

On the preparation of the MAKS-2017
January 18, 2017
The International Aviation and Space Salon "MAKS-2017" will be held in 2017 in the traditional place for him - the suburban town of Zhukovsky.

JSC "Air Show" (organizer of MAKS-2017) operates in accordance with the Agreement with the Ministry of Industry and Trade of the Russian Federation (Organizer MAKS-2017) for the preparation and holding of the International Aviation and Space Show in Zhukovsky.

JSC "Air Show" does not have official documents and information on the transfer of air show in Kubinka and is working on the preparation and holding of the MAKS-2017 at the airfield LII. MM Gromova.

Apologies for the translation.

spaceward

MAKS 2017 Date update

Post by spaceward »

I have just recieved a reply from the Exhibition Manager - Foreign Exhibitors at Aviasalon regarding my questions about the dates being moved for this years MAKS Show .......

Dear Sir,
Yes, AVIASALON JSC, as the executive directorate of MAKS 2017, has got the official letter from the RF governemtal structures for shifting MAKS dates to July 18 – 23.

BUT until we get the confirming RF governmental decree (in February) we cannot publish new dates in the official website .

It was done in the middle of January !!!

Just thought I'd let folks know that it looks certain that the dates are now changed to July.

tmattias

Post by tmattias »

How does it work with public transportation for photographing the show from the outside. From my uderstanding standing on the south side across the river is the best place to photograph from. Is it generally croweded there during the showdays/tradedays?

Have anyone experienced any problem walking around with a backback full of photo gear? Also going onto the showground during tradedays with a photo backpack?

Grunt087

Post by Grunt087 »

Public Transport could be a problem getting to the river side of the airfield near the tower. The train goes to the opposite side of the base. I went there with Ian Allen. We spent one day inside for static display and airshow and one day on a river boat near the tower. I had the tour company hire me a car and driver for the third day to drive me to the riverside for around 140 Euros if I remember right. He parked the car and I had to walk to the river. He waited there all day and then drove me back to Moscow. I did not see any Taxi's or buses in the area. Inside the airshow the crowds are bad and there are 6 foot tall fences for most of the crowd lines. You also shoot into the sun most of the day. Watching the show from the river or tower side is much better. You have the light behind you and the planes fly very low right over you since they don't have minimum alt limits outside of the airfield. All the good pictures on here are from the river or tower side. Look on Google Earth across from the tower is a brown field with some boats docked there. A lot of people watched from that area. If you like Russian aircraft this is the airshow to go to. If you go inside the show they have a security check with metal detectors. The guards have you open your bag and search it . It helps to keep your kit down to a minimum and don't bring pocket knives. Outside the show back packs are not a problem.

Sall

Post by Sall »

So, looks like date is official!
http://www.aviasalon.com/en

Sall

Post by Sall »

Русские Витязи are practicing for MAKS 2017 on new Su-30SM. :yahoo:

spaceward

Post by spaceward »

Flights booked , Hotel booked , Visa Application filled in and printed ready for VFS processing. I' m really looking forward to what will hopefully be another fantastic trip to Moscow and MAKS in it's earlier slot of July. I'm planning on visiting the show on 2 of the trade days as I found the public days were absolutely rammed making the queuing on entry a nightmare along with trying to get around the Halls and static line up near impossible.
Has anyone on here got anything booked up for themselves or with a Tour group ?

jalfrezi
UKAR Staff

Post by jalfrezi »

spaceward wrote:Flights booked , Hotel booked , Visa Application filled in and printed ready for VFS processing. I' m really looking forward to what will hopefully be another fantastic trip to Moscow and MAKS in it's earlier slot of July. I'm planning on visiting the show on 2 of the trade days as I found the public days were absolutely rammed making the queuing on entry a nightmare along with trying to get around the Halls and static line up near impossible.
Has anyone on here got anything booked up for themselves or with a Tour group ?

I'm booked to go with Ian Allan Travel, looking forward to it! :yahoo:

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

jalfrezi wrote:I'm booked to go with Ian Allan Travel, looking forward to it! :yahoo:

Sam and I did the same trip with them in 2015 - decent trip, and great not to have to worry about anything.

Watching the flying display from the barge on the river is something else! :hypno: :hypno: :rock:

Enjoy it! :up:

jalfrezi
UKAR Staff

Post by jalfrezi »

Tommy wrote:Sam and I did the same trip with them in 2015 - decent trip, and great not to have to worry about anything.

Watching the flying display from the barge on the river is something else! :hypno: :hypno: :rock:

Enjoy it! :up:

Thanks Tommy, I'm off to Army 2017 as well, so I'll certainly get my fill of Russian hardware this year! :rock: :cool:

spaceward

Post by spaceward »

Hi all,
Can I ask if anyone on here has used the train to platform 42 kilometre and the shuttle bus to the show option ?
I see that on the latest version of the Moscow Metro map the there is a bus number 441 from Kotelniki metro station to Zhukovsky Airport but I have no idea if this will be an option during MAKS. Any ideas would be welcome as this will be the first year I will be making my own way to the show as in previous years I have gone with a Russian friend who this year has been rather selfish and is taking his holiday to coincide with his wedding anniversary !! Some people, you just can't get the staff these days ! :roll:

Grunt087

Post by Grunt087 »

I took the train back in 2007 so things may have changed by now. I took a train from one of the stations in Moscow on Saturday. The train was packed and I had to stand for the entire trip. Once we got to the train station near the airbase we were packed on the bus like Tokyo Subway that took us to the Air Show. Be ready for pushing and shoving and ticked off Russians. Having a big Camera backpack wont help either. It can be done but you won't enjoy it.

spaceward

Post by spaceward »

I can remember the same experience at the 100th anniversary show back in 2012. I think sardines in a tin would have enjoyed more space than we had on our returning shuttle bus !!
As for this years MAKS , I'll be visiting on 2 of the trade days so I'm hoping things won't be quite as bad as the public days.
Any ideas on the bus to Zhukovsky airport from Kotelniki metro station ?

D90Man

Post by D90Man »

Question to those that have been before - are the media platform tickets worth the extra, especially on a trade day?

Leon
"Sharpness is in the eye of the holder"
More at http://www.planephotos.org.uk

Grunt087

Post by Grunt087 »

The Media platform is very expensive 150 Euro's or so . There is a two meter high fence around most of the flight line except near the taxi way. If you want runway or taxi shots you need to be near the taxi way or pay for the Media Platform but you are still looking into the sun. Trade days are almost as crowded as the weekend. Normally I spend one trade day inside for the static display and the rest on the outside of the fence near the tower where you can get great shots with the sun behind you. Most of the planes will fly directly overhead near the river. There is a park or marina across the river from the tower which is a pretty good viewing area. Most of the tour groups go near the tower. Check Google earth for your options. If you are not on a tour you can get a car and driver for around 150 Euros a day from Moscow. I dont know of any buses that go near the tower or river area. You might get lucky and find a taxi near the train station that could take you to the tower/river side of the base and save some money. I would bring a map to show the taxi driver where to go and have him return at the end of the show to pick you up. I didnt see any taxis to flag down on the tower/river side of the show. It is a wonderful show to get some really good pictures of the Russian Fighters but no TU95's or TU160's flying normally. There are lots of aircraft in the static area and lots of old planes abandoned on the ramps but be careful of security guards. No photos of the other planes on the base that are not on the static park ramp if they are watching. Some Dutch spotters got detained for trying to get pictures of off limit planes last time. I hope that is helpful to you. Enjoy the show.

D90Man

Post by D90Man »

Thank you Grunt087 - very useful.

I am on the 4Aviation Tour so we are in the show on a Trade day and outside on one of the public days, so I think I will just get a normal ticket.

Best

Leon
"Sharpness is in the eye of the holder"
More at http://www.planephotos.org.uk

strangelookingalien

Post by strangelookingalien »

In 2015 I found I was able to get take off, landing and taxi shots at either far end of the crowd line.

spaceward

Post by spaceward »

Slightly off topic but as I'm in Moscow for a week I thought I would try to make a visit to Patriot Park at Kubinka. Has anyone on the forum ever visited this Museum and how did you go about getting there as I've not seen it advertised as a part of any Tour itinerary.
Thanks in advance for any help.

Grunt087

Post by Grunt087 »

I was in Moscow for the Victory Day Parade and took a Private hire car from the city to the Kubinka Tank Museum. The company was Angel Tours and for 8000 Rubles/four hours. I got a driver to take me to the Tank Museum in the Kubinka Patriot Park. He picked me up at the hotel and took me to the museum about an hour away then waited in the parking lot for me to see the Museum then drove me back. Angel Tours only advertised the Tank Museum and not the Park but if you ask them they should be able to tell you if you can get to the other parts of the Patriot Park. The Tank Museum had a good collection of Tanks and armored vehicles. The main problem the tanks are in warehouse buildings which are dark and have back lighting so bring a good flash. Do a Google search for tours in Moscow and you find several Tour / Private tour guide companies. Victory Park has a good outdoor museum with planes, tanks and ships which is accessible by Metro. There is a collection of aircraft which is behind a tall chain link fence. If you bring a small lens camera you can get some shots of the fighters and An-12. Enjoy.

Aviamil

Post by Aviamil »

HI,

I visited the Patriot Park museum last year, the day before it was officially opened. Unfortunately cannot comment to much on the opening, prices, getting to & from as all this was still being arranged, access at the time was as a result of the Army 2016, so they had pre-arranged shuttle busses from Kubinka-1 station, this about 45 minutes from Moscow (Station Belarusskaya).

Not able to translate all this at the mo, Understand a little, but seems comprehensive instructions,

http://patriotp.ru/contacts/

Just a warning , the tank Museum http://patriotp.ru/objects/central-muse ... -vehicles/ is not at the the same site, although they do have a lot of tanks at the Patriot Park Museum also, if you want to see those.... of course with the aircraft http://patriotp.ru/objects/ploshhadka-n ... a-patriot/

Check openings too, as most Museums are closed on Mondays in Russia

Enjoy, Its great :)

Any other questions, just ask... A few aviation sites to see if you have time, around Moscow.

Regards
Marc

spaceward

Post by spaceward »

Hi,
Thanks everyone for your comments on Patriot Park et al. I've got some prices from a couple of taxi company's one of which suggested maybe get the Metro to the nearest station to PP and then a taxi to the Museum as it's much cheaper on the Metro than taxi and none of the Moscow traffic.
When I visited Monino in 2015 I caught the bus to the Museum stop on the highway then walked through the wooded lane to the Museum.It was a great way to soak up some Russian atmosphere on this little mini bus and a good feeling knowing you'd done it yourself so to speak. I'm lead to believe that the "authorities" would like to close Monino and move some of the airframes to PP which would be a crying shame as they have put a lot of effort into making massive improvements to the Monino facilities and the volunteers keep the airframes well looked after .
I may re- visit Victory Park to take a look at the airframes behind the fence but I think you can get to them via the road that runs around the back of the Park.
Oh for the days of visiting Khodynka ! Great times .

Skyflash
UKAR Staff

Post by Skyflash »

Anyone got any news on participants for this, beyond what is already known i.e. Airbus A350, Swifts, Knights and Al Fursan?

Finally got my Visa confirmed so I'm definitely going! :yahoo:
Posting comments on an aviation-related chatroom, are ya? Looks like it an' all...

spaceward

Post by spaceward »

"Just got my Visa confirmed ". Bloody hell nothing like leaving it to the last minute ? I must say I'd be changing me pants on an hourly basis if I still hadn't had my Visa by at least 2 months ago but then my Wife says I always worry to much.
Can I ask, are you on a tour or DIY ? I'm DIY ing it myself with my Sister and so far we've bought 2 trade day tickets and are hoping to get around quite a few Aviation related museums during our stay.
I've had an email from Aviasalon confirming that my Press Application has been accepted and authorised which is a first but no idea what,if anything it allows me to do anymore than a normal day pass. Maybe a free coffee in the Press tent ? Anyone on here ever had Press Accreditation ?