MAKS 2017

Discuss airshows, exercises and spotter days outside of Europe and North America
CameronSys

MAKS 2017

Post by CameronSys »

Hoping to be able to attend MAKS next year, 2017.

I have read that backlighting is a big issue there, so are there any particularly accessible spots on the outside - and will I get any problems viewing on the outside?

And those who have been previously, is it worth it?

Thanks
Cameron

shaggy101

Re: MAKS 2017

Post by shaggy101 »

Back lighting is a big problem at Zhukovsky, there is a spot that's over the river on a small hill where i was last time out. The display datum is almost over your head, I'll never forget the Russian Falcons display from that vantage point, that was really quite special. There is also the media platform as well but it's quite expensive iirc, having never done it I can't say for certain if it's worth it. I will say that it's well worth spending a day inside MAKS itself if for the static if nothing else. The only problem from that vantage point is the helis are a little far away but for everything else, it's a great spot

ImageRussian Falcons by Dan Reeves, on Flickr
Dan,

CameronSys

Post by CameronSys »

Thanks Dan. I would probably spend a day in the show for the static display and a day or two outside the show. That spot certainly seems to have worked well for you!

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

Yeah, back-lighting is an issue at MAKS - Agree it's definitely worth going inside though, Zhukovsky has some utterly unbeatable historic gems based there, and that's not including the lines of various variants of modern Kamovs, Sukhois, MiGs, Mils etc...

Also Re. Flying - it is also definitely worth spending more than one day if you can, as it can be inconsistent. It is also worth trying to maximise your time out there, Moscow is a fantastic place and has some excellent museums, and Monino is just an oasis of some of the most charismatic machines out there.

You can check our review of the show from last year if you want:

http://www.airshows.co.uk/reports/overs ... ace-salon/

If it is your first time to the country, it is worth going with a tour company - I went with Ian Allen, but I think 4Aviation do a tour, too. It makes the whole process a lot more stress-free, especially with Russian-speaking guides.

So in sum; yes, back-lighting is an issue, yes, there are spots outside to shoot the show, no, it's not a problem to shoot from there, and yes, it's absolutely worth it.

st24

Post by st24 »

And if you enjoy the claustrophobic un-windowed view of a small portable annex in a hangar with 10 or so others for an hour or so then take a photographic stroll around the lines of Foxbats, Hooks, Floggers, Careless, Hips, Fencers etc etc to the rear of the crowd.... :ninja: :hide:
You caaan't trust the system... Maaan!

john001

Post by john001 »

With the Army 2017 dates close to MAKS has anyone any experience of visiting Kubinka - do you have to be with a tour or can you do it alone?

MOJRuss

Post by MOJRuss »

Im making this on this year, decided to go with Ian Allen just for the hassle free tour, if not already booked mate Ian Allen has a barge booked on this on right under the flight line with the sun behind us so backlighting shouldn't be an issue at all

frank

Post by frank »

MOJRuss wrote:I'm making this on this year, decided to go with Ian Allen just for the hassle free tour, if not already booked mate Ian Allen has a barge booked on this on right under the flight line with the sun behind us so backlighting shouldn't be an issue at all

I actually found that the beached boat/barge was right under the displays, which was great in some ways, made for difficult photography as you were underneath the aircraft and too close. If I went again I would go for the far river bank personally. However enjoy - its a great experience :smile:

Aviamil

Post by Aviamil »

Hi,

For those planning a trip to MAKS in 2017, wait for a while as they are talking about moving the show to 18th - 23rd July. Reports in various news sites from today.

Marc

zigzag

Post by zigzag »

Interesting, very interesting
If you like these pics there are more utterly brilliant shots at https://www.flickr.com/photos/131094099@N08/albums
#MOT

Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Post by Wissam24 »

Sounds unlikely to shift it a whole month only 7 months beforehand.
Twitter: @samwise24 | Flickr: samwise24 | Shamelessly copying LN Strike Eagle's avatar ideas since 2016

Aviamil

Post by Aviamil »

:) Anything is possible in Russia :)

Its being pushed by UAC & Ministry of Trade, 60% of signed up & paid exhibitors support the change, documents are now with the government waiting to be signed. Army 2017 at Kubinka is also going to be much bigger is one of the reasons, UAC and its members would just have two days to move all the display from one venue to the other.

Marc

Albion143

Post by Albion143 »

Confirmed that the dates have been changed.

http://www.rusaviainsider.com/moscow-ma ... e-in-july/

john001

Post by john001 »

Albion143 wrote:Confirmed that the dates have been changed.

http://www.rusaviainsider.com/moscow-ma ... e-in-july/

Well it actually says the new dates will be officially confirmed soon but we get the idea - thanks for the post and to Aviamil for the info (even if it does screw up my arrangements for the summer! :sad: )

Stagger2

Post by Stagger2 »

Here's hoping the early-birds reserved 'amendable' flights & accommodation? :whistle:
Another fine mess Vlad ! Scuppered my plans to do MAKS & the Army Gig in one trip?

Skyflash
UKAR Staff

Post by Skyflash »

I have always wanted to do MAKS but my Fringe commitments in Edinburgh during August have always scuppered it. However, with these new dates it suddenly becomes possible again.

I assume that the likes of Ian Allan will run amended itineraries...? I wouldn't much fancy attempting it under my own steam!
Posting comments on an aviation-related chatroom, are ya? Looks like it an' all...

john001

Post by john001 »

Skyflash wrote: I wouldn't much fancy attempting it under my own steam!

Maybe the thought of doing it is worse than the reality....

Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Post by Wissam24 »

Damn you Putin! MAKS+Army would've been the dream holiday!
Twitter: @samwise24 | Flickr: samwise24 | Shamelessly copying LN Strike Eagle's avatar ideas since 2016

Tim Laurence

Post by Tim Laurence »

Stagger2 wrote:Here's hoping the early-birds reserved 'amendable' flights & accommodation? :whistle:
Another fine mess Vlad ! Scuppered my plans to do MAKS & the Army Gig in one trip?

Yes, I was thinking the exact same thing. An extra £230 flight and a more expensive 'multiple entry' tourist visa is a blow. Definately worth doing though.

Tim
@timlaurencephotography

zigzag

Post by zigzag »

john001 wrote:

A girl I used to work with is from Moscow, I've asked her for an honest opinion if it's do-able under my own steam. I await her reply. One thing for sure if the dates are switched then I'll get there somehow
If you like these pics there are more utterly brilliant shots at https://www.flickr.com/photos/131094099@N08/albums
#MOT

Tim Laurence

Post by Tim Laurence »

Apart from the language barrier, MAKS is fine to do under your own guidance. I have managed 5 visits without any problems other than a jippy tummy. Just break each bit down in to manageable portions.

VISA.
Flights to Moscow.
Hotel near Metro.
Metro to Kazanskiy train station.
Train to Otdykh.
Shuttle bus to Zhukovsky.
Tickets or passes for the show.
and/or a bus to Narkomvod (south side).
Understand the currency.
Optionally learn some of the language.

Staying near to Zhukovsky is possible, but not experienced this option. Neither have I rented a car and drove to the area as public transport is so cheap.

Happy to help.
@timlaurencephotography

Agg
UKAR Staff

Post by Agg »

zigzag wrote:
john001 wrote:

A girl I used to work with is from Moscow, I've asked her for an honest opinion if it's do-able under my own steam. I await her reply. One thing for sure if the dates are switched then I'll get there somehow

Why wouldn't it be? It's Russia, not Syria...

st24

Post by st24 »

zigzag wrote:
john001 wrote:

The thing that would throw me is the language. The transport system (though one takes your life in your own hands on the road!) is pretty cheap and effective and many westernised eating places are scattered around, hotels are adequate though restaurants will allow smoking readily. But the fact that the alphabet is just totally alien and no words/letters have any similarity to ours does perplex me - especially if you just need directions or help in an emergency..
You caaan't trust the system... Maaan!

john001

Post by john001 »

1. Most of the metro has 'latin' lettering as well as many other places
2. Ask anyone under 25
3. you can check out any worries before you go online
4. The biggest barrier is the individual themselves - give it a go who cares if you get it wrong, get off at the wrong stop or two on a train etc no one is judging you.

Macc

Post by Macc »

john001 wrote:The biggest barrier is the individual themselves - give it a go who cares if you get it wrong, get off at the wrong stop or two on a train etc no one is judging you.

Totally agree! Give yourself a little extra time, pre-plan with Google Maps and write down a cheat sheet. I think the worst thing you can do is frantically rush, if you allow yourself time to be observant you probably won't go far wrong.