Oshkosh (WhiteKnightTwo and Heritage Flights)

Oshkosh (WhiteKnightTwo and Heritage Flights)

Postby Mike on Thu 03 Sep 2009, 5:19 am

With the mods permission, I'm starting another thread for Oshkosh, as my last thread on the aerobatic acts contained some 90-odd pictures.

WhiteKnightTwo, the launch vehicle for the SpaceShipTwo Virgin Galactic sub-orbital commercial spaceship, made its public debut at Oshkosh this year.

It is still early in the test process - the Tuesday demonstration flight was only the 17th flight made by the aircraft. Sir Richard Branson was in the back for that flight, giving interviews to the media afterwards. Thursday’s planned flight was cancelled whilst it was holding for take-off, due to the weather (with several storms in the area), so it next displayed on the Friday, with a departure for home on the Saturday.

A really interesting aeroplane, it has a span of 140 feet (about the same as a B-29!) and is stressed to 7G. The commentator mentioned that one of the hardest things was designing the engine pylons to support the weight of the engines under a 7G load. The wing has a one-piece carbon composite spar – quite a feat of engineering to manufacture a composite structure 140 feet long.

My shots were taken on a mixture of days. I’ve included quite a few (I hope nobody minds) as it is such an unusual-looking machine from every angle!

Mike

Re: Oshkosh (WhiteKnightTwo and Heritage Flights)

Postby Mike on Thu 03 Sep 2009, 5:24 am

Some shots from the Heritage Flight demos - consistently one of my favourite US airshow acts, and very photogenic, so I make no excuses for including quite a few shots.

On the Tuesday and Thursday, the formation consisted of the A-10, along with Vlado Lenoch in his P-51D 'Moonbeam McSwine' and Dale 'Snort' Snodgrass in the recently-restored Warbird Heritage Foundation F-86F, aptly named 'Smokey'.

On the Wednesday, they were joined by Kevin Eldridge in Ron Fagen's P-38L 'Ruff Stuff'

As per usual with the Heritage Flight demo, the individual aircraft then made flybys before landing

Mike

Postby habu21 on Thu 03 Sep 2009, 6:51 am

Nice shots of a great mix of aircraft in the Heritage Flight and of WhiteKnightTwo,how confusing must that be to pilot.... :smile:
habu21

Postby tu114cleat on Thu 03 Sep 2009, 8:35 am

Another interesting aircraft out of the Rutan stable.
Thanks for sharing your photographs. :clap:
tu114cleat

Postby EMarsh on Thu 03 Sep 2009, 8:39 am

The Heritage Flight looks stunning! Would be fantastic to adopt a similar idea in the UK - Spitfire, Hurricane, Hunter and Typhoon, for example.

As for White Knight II, it just doesn't quite look right to me... :grin:
EMarsh

Postby PaulHP on Thu 03 Sep 2009, 11:27 am

Great Pic's!

Whiteknight - looks like someone had some old 146 spares knocking around when they built it.
PaulHP

Postby Flyingmonster on Thu 03 Sep 2009, 9:46 pm

The shots of WhiteKnightTwo are interesting! :clap:
Teh Heritage shots are just superb!!
Cracking shot of the A10 and P38 breaking!!

Jamie
For ever looking skywards!!
Flyingmonster

Postby TheDuck on Thu 03 Sep 2009, 11:16 pm

Great selection. :clap: That WhiteKnightTwo is certainly something to behold, truely amazing aeroplane that. :cool:
TheDuck

Postby DaveGriff on Thu 03 Sep 2009, 11:16 pm

Great shots of WhiteKnightTwo. Mind you if the maxim 'if it looks right, it flies right' holds true, that thing should never get airborne. Not unattractive but peculiar without a doubt!
DaveGriff

Postby UK_Tomcat_Fan on Fri 04 Sep 2009, 7:14 am

nice shots, does that mean Snort Snodgrass isnt going to be flying his "skyblazers" f-86 any more?
Martin

UK_Tomcat_Fan

Postby Lomcevak26 on Fri 04 Sep 2009, 1:52 pm

Super shots as ever. WhiteKnightTwo reminds me of some of the late WW2 German joined-together designs. :biggrin:
Lomcevak26

Return to Airshow Photos