My 2009 Year, Air-to-Air....picture heavy

Airshow Photography from the UK and around the world
Eric Belgium

My 2009 Year, Air-to-Air....picture heavy

Post by Eric Belgium »

Dear aviation friends,

Now that we are snowed in and all suffer from global freezing I would like to share with you the best photos I have taken during my 2009 season; I've been extremely spoiled by photoflights, and working for the first time with my PhotoCrew as a real pleasure. During the entire year we have given around 28 guestphotographers a chance to go up with us in the air to take pictures. For the Sanicole/TigerMeet photowork my very appreciated guest was Katsu Tokunaga, thé master himself. It was just one of the many highlights of a succesfull year.

And “yes” before you ask it, I will be able again to give many photographers a chance in the 2010 season to fly with us for photos. I will give some info at the bottom of the post.

Excuse me for the bad quality of the pictures, but because there are so many I had to resize them to 300K, so not the topquality anymore.

Okay, let's fly ;-)

My season started with a shoot of the Falcon 2000; at the same time there was a cameracrew onboard for a commercial. This is the only airborne mission so far where I used 600mm...yeye on a tripod!

But I guess the normal view is just as good....of course was the weather bad grrrr

Our first weekend of the airshowseason was the very enjoyable informal fly-in “flying & friendship” in France, at the airport of Lens

And the weather was.....really bad; but that's a great time to experiment, here with the flash at sunset

And the low flying is something everybody seems to enjoy!

One week later we had a great time at Zoersel airfield in Belgium, home for the wellknown Chipmeet, and for 2010 also the location for the very first Air-to-Air Academy & the Photoflying Days. Of course Chipmeet = lots of Chipmunks

In every position you want it...

So you want a nine-ship! That was a first true highlight of the year, so unique we could do this.

Best light of the day = in the evening when the colours of the sky become warm and enchanting

We had a lot of friends flying behind the Skyvan photoship

Unfortunately I cannot include the sound in a picture......

Low level always makes a great shot

This was also the event where we took our first guestphotographers in the sky, this is their typical view...altough, the Foxmoth won the prize for closest approach!

As long as nobody gets sick we can fly big angles creating nice action in the frame

At the Aachen flugfest I had a chance to fly with the Swiss PC-7 Team, and the weather was yeah sooo perfect!

There new painting is really beautifull

You can see the airfield in this photo, it was an incredible and very gracefull ride.

During the Cupfinal in Belgium we made the pr-photos for the Belgian Police Air Support MD-900; this was a challenge as there was not a lot of light, it's a 1000 asa picture, but it turned out very well

The 3rd of july was an incredible adrenaline ride, as we got for the firsttime a fast jet formation behind the Skyvan photoship; a combination of both the Dutch and Belgian F-16 demoteams

Needless to say it was an awesome sight; this one is for the many Dutch aviation enthousiasts ;-) the Dutch Lion really looks superb!

Three minutes of sun during the whole flight, but on the right moment: this photo became a 'classic' and I must agree that it looks very iconic and it was also a very exclusive opportunity ( and priviledge ) to see this formation.

Holiday in Spain.... Vigo Airshow

100 years of aviation was celebrated at the airfield of Spa, Belgium; all day long "Kris Kris Tofferson!" weather with low clouds and rain....at the end of the day the sun came trough and we were rewarded with this view.....

Not only gave we the chance again to a number of guestphotographers to fly with us, this time we could also offer them some exclusive aircraft, such as the sole flying Bronco in Europe

And it got even better when the Mustang joined up for a fabulous formation shoot.

Only one weekend later we had another incredible time; our youngest PhotoCrew photographer Giel celebrated his 17th birthday and we got him a ride in the Grumman Avenger...now that's for sure a happy birthday!

Final flight of our Sanicole Marchetti's, now active in Denmark with AirCombatEurope

In september there was another edition of “flying & friendship” , and Hanno took me up in the T-6 photoship to get a good view on the sole flying Stinson Reliant warbird

The Sanicole Airshow is of course the highlight of the year, were we fly four days in a row to get most of the participants in the air ;-) whoohoow. And for this edition we had the chance to take a number of guestphotographers with us to get the same pictures as you see here.
Our flying ambassador Mitch and his F-16

Royal Jordanian Falcons, long time friends!

Not every day you get a chance to catch the Hungarian Gripen airborne

And you can't only take the typical 'head-on' shot from a Skyvan, just be creative ;-)

Red Bull spoiled us this airshow; unfortunately we missed the air-to-air shoots with their P-38 and Corsair due to timechange and mecanical..well next time!

'Omelet 'stealing the show, and it was a véry good day for vortexes.....

Our tigerfriends from 31Sq. gave us a beautifull 4-ship with their special tiger F-16 leading

A close view for the photographers? No problem....

We had so many highlights....to see a formation of 7 jets behind the Skyvan is something you don't easely forget

The Blades, these guys are sooo good!! It was my birthday this day and teamledar Myles hold up a carbord sign with “happy birthday” on it ;-) it took me 5 seconds to realise that it was for me.....and I forgot to take a picture, whoeps.

Price for 'best private airshow for the photographers' goes to....'Spout' performing in the Dutch Hunter

Sunset view...poetry in a picture.

They always say you gotta save the best for last....well, the final flight of the Vickers Vimy to the Brooklands museum was our most beautifull and unique photoflight so far....I let the pictures do the talking

A big thank you goes to our photopilots, here you see a formation of the T-6 and Skyvan; without those guys and the Yak-18 and Yak-52 of Yakkes Foundation my post would be empty....1000x thank you :)

My favourite picture of 2009

As promised some information about our two big projects for 2010; If you always wanted to take air-to-air pictures and have a view like this

then take a look at our website http://www.ericcoeckelberghs.com It's our pleasure to invite you to the Photoflying Days in may, an informal event organised by pilots and photographers, for pilots and photographers: the main theme is flying for pictures of course!
We expect a lot of aircraft to visit us, and we have already some really huge surprises ;-)

The Photoflying Days goes hand in hand with our first Air-to-Air Academy courses, where we give the new guestphotographers a chance to fly with us. If you like the idea, just email me for more info.

Many thanks for looking and comments always welcome :tongue:

Greetz from Belgium, Eric
http://www.ericcoeckelberghs.com

Sam Dodd

Re: My 2009 Year, Air-to-Air....picture heavy

Post by Sam Dodd »

Quite speachless! Possibly some of the best photo's I've seen on this board, great quality pictures! I can't pick a favourite, I do like the chopper with the Football pitch in the background though and the f-16 shots are stunning. Really like the Hunter shots too. 1 thing, I am distracted by the water mark quite a bit, but still some very nice photos. Thanks for sharing :)

IanH

Re: MY 2009 YEAR, AIR-TO-AIR....picture heavy ;-)

Post by IanH »

Terrific set as Sam said. Compositions spot on. Love the modern stuff especially (which includes the Hunter):clap:

Regards, Ian

pako-2008

Post by pako-2008 »

Simply outstanding. What a privilege it must be. All are really great but the winner has to be the formation of dutch and belgian 16's, such an exclusive opportunity. Id love to see more if there is any.
Cheers
Aaron

SuffolkBlue

Post by SuffolkBlue »

These are absolutely fantastic. I do agree with Dan’s point, but that aside I think these have to go down as the best set of images I have seen on UKAR.

I can't even pick a favourite :topbombing: :clap:

F-86

Post by F-86 »

Superb set, Hunter and F-16 shots are awesome. Thanks for sharing those. :clap: :clap: :clap:

138EAW

Post by 138EAW »

Simply stunning :shock: :topbombing:
Gary

DeanW

Post by DeanW »

I've seen your pics pop up alot on Airshows.be but they're always just as impressive every time you see them. Pick of the bunch are the F16 shots, simply stunning. Although the Hunter head on is rather special too!

NeilH68

Post by NeilH68 »

Outstanding photos...loving them all, but the head on`s are fantastic.

Lomcevak26

Post by Lomcevak26 »

Absolutely mindblowing! Superb - all of them.

EMarsh

Post by EMarsh »

These have made me feel all giddy. :biggrin:

I'd have to agree with SuffolkBlue's comments - some of the best I've seen here. Absolutely superb. The low-level shots (in particular the Yak 52-led formation) are just awesome. :clap:

timuss

Post by timuss »

WOW stunning love the F16's just awesome pictures :drool: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Canon 7Dmk2
Canon 7D
Sigma 18-200
Sigma 10-20
Canon 100-400 L IS II
Icom ICR-2 Scanner
PSN: timuss

Andy-S

Post by Andy-S »

Truely amazing stuff. The F16 head-on stands out for me :clap:

Andy

Haskey

Post by Haskey »

Great pictures Eric. Every single one. Some great photos and some great opportunities you had to take these. Thanks for showing us your work.

Well done

Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

All fantastic shots...love the ones of the Blades and the F-16's
Sony A580
Tamron 70-300 Lens

D90Man

Post by D90Man »

All the superlatives have been expressed already, so I'll just stick to Bl**dy Amazing pictures - congratulations

Leon
"Sharpness is in the eye of the holder"
More at http://www.planephotos.org.uk

HuwJHopkins

Post by HuwJHopkins »

What an absolutely breathtaking set of photographs. Such a testament to the skill of photoship and subject aircraft pilots and to your photographic vision and skill, these have to be some of the best air-to-air photos I've ever seen! Thanks so much for posting.

I would be very interested in the Air-to-Air Academy in May and have already e-mailed for more information.

Many thanks, Huw :smile:

jimbob1194

Post by jimbob1194 »

:drool: :clap: You have got be one of the luckiest people I know, I am jealous big time :grin:
They are all just stunning, no way I can pick one as my favourite, because they are all fantastic. I can't wait to see more of your work in 2010 :rock:

James
The Mustang won't do what a Spitfire does, but it does it over Berlin.

Senna_S

Post by Senna_S »

Some fantastic shots there!
Loving the Gripens :rock:

Simon.

rjlaker

Post by rjlaker »

:drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: WOW!!!!!! I LOVE the F-16 shots, especially the head on with vapour. Absolutely stunning set, each one a cracker :clap: :clap: :topbombing: :topbombing: :clap: :clap:

Agg
UKAR Staff

Post by Agg »

Wow, I dont know what to say... This must be the single greatest thread that Ive seen in here... just wow!

davidm

Post by davidm »

They are amazing! :rock: :rock: :rock: :clap: :clap: :clap: You are very lucky

David

TLM

Post by TLM »

Quite stunning! The best pictures Ive seen this year. The angle looking head on of the F-16 is fantastic. Thanks for posting and the info.

Tim

Phil Standfield

Post by Phil Standfield »

Wow. The only words i can think of stunning. The best set i have seen on this site. Off to buy lotto ticket, Please post more. :clap:

T_J

Post by T_J »

Stunning work, Eric. Amazing platforms to shoot from too with no glass in the way! Have you any sunset type shots?

:clap: :clap: :clap:

TJ