La Ferte-Alais airshow 11/12 June 2011

La Ferte-Alais airshow 11/12 June 2011

Postby SEMAE on Sun 26 Jun 2011, 8:33 am

I left home Friday 9.20pm and caught the Dover-Calais ferry. I was sitting in my car outside the gates of the airfield four cars behind the entrance at 6.45am CET.

After overnighting in a hotel, on Saturday I arrived at the airfield until 9.30am and found it easy to get in.

Saturday was the best day with variable cloud. Sunday started out with glorious sunshine but with a steady build up of greyness with the same low pressure area that bedevilled Cosford. La Ferte remained dry with just a few spits of rain in the air. I left early at 5.00pm for my homewood journey.

Decided that I will go back again next year. Participation looked like a cross between Duxford and Old Warden and the static park reminded me of the previous great vintage flying weekends at Kemble. The tree lined background is reminiscent of Old Warden and Cosford. It all helps to give La Ferte its own distinct character.

Found the people very polite, welcoming and the organisation slick and efficient.

Most of the photos are from Saturday.

SEMAE

Re: La Ferte-Alais airshow 11/12 June 2011

Postby lanemiker on Sun 26 Jun 2011, 9:37 am

Martin,

Very nice selection from La Ferte-Alais :clap: :clap: :clap: I enjoyed them all. I agree, the show does look like a cross between Flying Legends at Duxford and Old Warden. I might try and make it over one of these years. Looks like a very nice display.

I see in your last photo, the F4U-5 Corsair that they have been restoring there appears to be coming along with some progress. Do you know anymore about it?

Lance
Canon 7D (2) gripped, Canon 40D gripped, 18-250mm f/3.5-6.3, 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 L IS, 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS, BushHawk
lanemiker

Postby JohnF on Sun 26 Jun 2011, 3:55 pm

Great set. :clap: I do like the Fennec in that colour scheme. Would be nice if the Zero replica and the Avenger could be tempted to appear at a UK show.
JohnF

Postby F-86 on Sun 26 Jun 2011, 11:43 pm

Very nice set Martin, a nice variety of aircraft too. :clap: :clap:
F-86

Postby ciaranchef on Mon 27 Jun 2011, 1:58 am

Fantastic shots of a superb airshow..thanks.......
"It is generally inadvisable to eject over the area you just bombed"
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ciaranchef/
ciaranchef

Postby Mike on Mon 27 Jun 2011, 3:33 am

The 'French Avenger' is in fact Swiss, and is none other than Tony Haig-Thomas' former mount with new paint and a turret fitted.

A lovely selection of shots from one of my favourite airshow venues anywhere. I'd encourage anyone thinking of making the trip to do so, it is an easy drive from Calais and they always put on a great show.
Mike

Postby XH668 on Mon 27 Jun 2011, 7:03 pm

Cor having that avenger at dux in the next few weeks would be quite something!
Ground crew of WZ507

Nikon D5000
Sigma 10-20mm
Nikon 18-55mm
Tamron 70-300mm
Sigma 150-500mm
XH668

Postby SEMAE on Mon 27 Jun 2011, 7:45 pm

Thanks for the nice comments. It is a great show and very popular. Both days were busy and as usual best to arrive early to get to the front. For those who arrive later, there is a nice bank on the left hand side of the crowd line a few meters behind. Perfect for take off shots for the heavier warbirds if they are taking off right to left. Some people were using stepladders on the bank but out of harm’s way

The other end of the airfield is flat so if you want a clear view, you it is best to be at the front. Step ladders were far a few between on the right hand end and to 'push in' close to the front with a step ladder may not be welcome by those around you particularly as it really gets packed out with people. Only 20.00 Euro to get in for a five hour display.

The rest of the photos can be seen here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/martin_a_o_eames/sets/

Cheers

Martin
SEMAE

Return to Airshow Photos