Seoul ADEX 2011

Seoul ADEX 2011

Postby eaglekepr on Sun 23 Oct 2011, 2:39 pm

Hello! Long time-no post.

Just realized there's a series of firsts here, first post in over a YEAR, first air show since Duxford 2010, first show for my 7D (and still working on the hang of it). Hazy clouds, a N/S oriented runway and a lens that seems much less sharp with 18mb than it does with only 8. Ah well!

Starting in the Exhibition Tent/Hall

Model of the F-15SE Silent Eagle at the Boeing booth
F-15SE Silent Eagle by eaglekepr, on Flickr

A close-up look at the proposed cockpit for the F-15SE. Like a giant iPad, touch screen and drag/drop your displays in any configuraton.
F-15SE Silent Eagle Cockpit Mock-up by eaglekepr, on Flickr

US Army AH-64D 4-2 Attack Battalion 2 Infantry Division "Death Dealers"
US Army AH-64D Longbow by eaglekepr, on Flickr

C-17 Demo from Hickam AFB Hawaii
C-17A Globemaster III by eaglekepr, on Flickr

U-2S from nearby Osan AB
U-2S, 5th Reconnaissance Squadron by eaglekepr, on Flickr

Osan AB A-10C flown by the ACC East Coast Demo Team
A-10C East Coast Demo Team by eaglekepr, on Flickr

Not quite low level through the "loop"
A-10C East Coast Demo Team by eaglekepr, on Flickr

The locals... ROKAF T-50 Solo Demo
ROKAF T-50 Solo Demo by eaglekepr, on Flickr

Misawa AB, Japan based F-16C from the PACAF Demo Team
F-16C Demo Seoul ADEX 2011 by eaglekepr, on Flickr

F-15K Solo Demo. Unfortunately not as impressive a display as the ACC Strike Eagle Demo Team. Still LOUD = GOOD!
F-15K Demo Seoul ADEX 2011 by eaglekepr, on Flickr

F-15K Demo Seoul ADEX 2011 by eaglekepr, on Flickr

The ROKAF Demo Team "Black Eagles". not bad... but several of the formations/routines look... familiar. Concorde and the Carousel being two ;)
ROKAF Black Eagles Display Seoul ADEX 2011 by eaglekepr, on Flickr

"Where have I seen this before..."

More on my Flickr stream below!
Last edited by eaglekepr on Wed 02 Nov 2011, 8:24 pm, edited 3 times in total.
eaglekepr

Re: Seoul ADEX 2011

Postby A40-BP on Sun 23 Oct 2011, 4:15 pm

Interesting exhaust covers on that AH-64D! Anyone know what they are?

Interesting to see your selection, especially the Black Eagles. Also your catch of the F-15K is impressive!

With dumb bombs and retarded bomblets, why don't they just use stupid missiles?
A40-BP

Postby eaglekepr on Sun 23 Oct 2011, 5:06 pm

Thanks... unfortunate that I won't get any more practice until next summer!

The emblem on the exhaust is a skull with crossed swords. I have no idea what US Army unit it is, and couldn't find it with a few searches. Maybe by the serial number? The flying example was '67625' and the one on static display was '77025'. Here's an extreme crop from the static that was in the background of another pic...

eaglekepr

Postby LN Strike Eagle on Sun 23 Oct 2011, 9:25 pm

Good stuff Jason - I was wondering why you'd been so quiet on here. Always interesting to see stuff posted from around the world.

The F-15K looks a little bland, do they not carry any squadron markings?
"You really are an oafish philistine at times!"
LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Postby eaglekepr on Mon 24 Oct 2011, 6:22 pm

LN Strike Eagle wrote:Good stuff Jason - I was wondering why you'd been so quiet on here. Always interesting to see stuff posted from around the world.

The F-15K looks a little bland, do they not carry any squadron markings?

Thanks Dan... lack of air shows in the winter followed by being preoccupied with leaving England for a year. I ended up missing all shows in the UK for 2011 and my 7D which I've had since May has largely sat in the bag due to being too busy.

The F-15K's I caught at Red Flag 08-4 were fresh from the factory but had squadron/wing badges on the CFT's:
Red Flag 08-04 by eaglekepr, on Flickr

I figured they didn't have anything elsewhere due to only having the factory paint. That tail (02-038) was actually on static for the show here but it didn't have any markings either, CFT or otherwise. Since it's been three years between me seeing it, I guess that answers the the question.
eaglekepr

Postby Fat Albert on Tue 25 Oct 2011, 1:10 pm

Hi eaglekepr
Good stuff there :smile:
How are you finding the 7D ? its on my list as I am thinking of upgrading in the near future.
Fat Albert

Postby eaglekepr on Tue 25 Oct 2011, 7:15 pm

Hard to say right now... I used my 30D for over 4 years so I was looking forward to having more bells and whistles. There's quite a difference between the two! Video is something I haven't grasped yet, I need to actually sit down with the manual to learn how to control things a bit better.

Having auto ISO is a two sided coin... it's saved a few photos that otherwise would have been too long of a shutter to capture, on the other hand it's turned into something I don't think about... which shows in the photos I took at the air show with my 350D. I put it up to ISO 800 for the inside of the exhibition space and it never dawned on me to put it back down to 100 once I got outside. Something I was USUALLY aware of before. Having the camera do that one extra thing by itself I feel has turned my photography more into the point and shoot category...

The one issue I'm having is that photos zoomed in to 100% seem VERY soft, especially with my 100-400 lens. As I said above, it might be that I'm so used to an 8MP camera that the 7D with it's 18MP shows me the limitations of the lens. Honestly though I haven't really had the time on a nice day to test different lenses to see if it's the camera, the lens or me. I've had the camera since the end of May and aside from this air show I've taken less than 1000 clicks of the shutter. Most of that is "what does this function do?" :grin:

I'd say, if you have the money to upgrade, go for it. Although there's always the rumours of a replacement on the way (and always will be for every camera).
eaglekepr

Postby LN Strike Eagle on Tue 25 Oct 2011, 7:22 pm

Shame about the markings, as they look a bit bland without anything to break up the grey.

Still, a lovely shot of the F-15K at Red Flag! Notice they have the 'Turkey feathers' on the cans too.
"You really are an oafish philistine at times!"
LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Postby Fat Albert on Tue 25 Oct 2011, 7:37 pm

Thanks for your appraisal :smile:
Fat Albert

Postby ConnorM on Tue 25 Oct 2011, 10:25 pm

Last one Great Shot :smile:
ConnorM

Postby eaglekepr on Wed 02 Nov 2011, 8:02 pm

A40-BP wrote:Interesting exhaust covers on that AH-64D! Anyone know what they are?

I was lucky enough to be able to talk to the the crew that came to the Osan AB air show this last weekend. The unit is the 4-2 Attack Battalion "Death Dealers". I THINK the skull and crossed swords are from Charlie Company, "Slayers". The one on static at Osan was from Alpha Co. "Archangels". I'll post one of theirs when I get my Osan set up, hopefully before the end of the week :)

Edited the photo post above with the info.
eaglekepr

Postby ciaranchef on Fri 04 Nov 2011, 5:51 pm

A40-BP wrote:Interesting exhaust covers on that AH-64D! Anyone know what they are?

Hi, they are from the 4-2 Attack Battalion, 2nd Combat Aviation Brigade, 2nd Infantry Division based at camp casey next to Osan.

They even have a facebook page with all the units.

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set= ... 221&type=1
Ciaran
"It is generally inadvisable to eject over the area you just bombed"
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ciaranchef/
ciaranchef

Return to Airshow Photos