Duxford Autumn 2012 (non-DSLR) - Updated

Airshow Photography from the UK and around the world
Hatstand
UKAR Supporter

Duxford Autumn 2012 (non-DSLR) - Updated

Post by Hatstand »

A few photos from Duxford's Autumn airshow. Despite the schedule being described as "thin" (by others, not me), and the temperatures a bit on the chilly side, I enjoyed it very much. Lots of really excellent flying displays.

I love seeing the Redhawks - such a beautiful, graceful display:

Among the entertaining commentary, reference was made to the proximity of head to CAP-232's canopy, and the implications of that when landing. Or was he talking about Cosmic Wind's canopy? I forget. Same thing applies though:

I love it when this thing takes to the air. I know everyone gets all mushy about Merlins... but the sound of that Griffon puts hairs on your chest.

Now there's something you don't see every day:

Never mind the thumbs up mate - your plane just left a parapoop on the runway. What are you going to do about it?

A jumble of Tiger Moths. I made up a new collective noun right there. Do they let you take cameras on those open-cockpit pleasure flights? I seriously doubt it - but it would make for some cracking air-to-air shots if they did, and you got lucky with a 3-ship formation take off like that.

As usual, I used my Panasonic FZ150 with red dot sight. This time with a Canon TC-DC58A teleconvertor stuck on the front, for a 150-900mm zoom range. Can't say I've really gotten to grips with that setup yet - it's substantially heavier than I am used to, making panning more difficult (compounded by being in the FoD enclosure where You Must Be Seated). I'll see how it goes next season.

I'll add some shots from the static displays in a day or so. Maybe a farewell Hawk shot too, since this was the last T1 display - although my Hawk shots were not particularly interesting (mostly plane-in-featureless-sky shots, that could've been taken anywhere).

Anyway, thanks for looking!

Edit: More added below
Last edited by Hatstand on Wed 17 Oct 2012, 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ciaranchef

Re: Duxford Autumn 2012 (non-DSLR)

Post by ciaranchef »

Very nice set As always, :clap: .Ciaran
"It is generally inadvisable to eject over the area you just bombed"
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ciaranchef/

Hatstand
UKAR Supporter

Re: Duxford Autumn 2012 (non-DSLR)

Post by Hatstand »

Thanks ciaranchef!

Here's a few more shots taken during the flying display in the afternoon, and then a few early-morning static shots...

A dispute over the last parking spot turns nasty... the canopies are open... ROAD RAGE:

Waving goodbye to the T1 displays:

Got her all in the frame, AND without any bodies/legs in the background *smug* :

Hunter air conditioning:

10:15am in the FoD enclosure O_o By this time I've already strolled around leisurely taking photos of static displays, bought and eaten a freshly made bacon and egg roll, renewed my FoD membership for another year, and quite possibly on my 2nd cup of coffee:

Thanks for looking!
Last edited by Hatstand on Wed 17 Oct 2012, 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

paullangford

Re: Duxford Autumn 2012 (non-DSLR) - Updated

Post by paullangford »

Very Good, I like the "dew" shots especially.

Paul :rock:

eaglekepr

Post by eaglekepr »

Hatstand wrote:Do they let you take cameras on those open-cockpit pleasure flights? I seriously doubt it - but it would make for some cracking air-to-air shots if they did, and you got lucky with a 3-ship formation take off like that.

They did for me a few years ago... I think there was more concern that they didn't want to be held responsible if you were to lose your camera out the side :grin:

PanamaMan

Post by PanamaMan »

A great selection again, and I love your captions!
Glad to see you're putting that Canon TC to good use!!
Anything less than 900mm is wide angle

Hatstand
UKAR Supporter

Post by Hatstand »

paullangford wrote:Very Good, I like the "dew" shots especially.

Thanks Paul! Most of the parked planes were drenched in dew like that early on, and the bright sunshine highlighted it nicely - lots of nice photo opportunites if you got there before it evaporated.

eaglekepr wrote:They did for me a few years ago... I think there was more concern that they didn't want to be held responsible if you were to lose your camera out the side :grin:

Haha! Excellent! Weren't you worried about losing your camera over the side though? I think I would be!

PanamaMan wrote:A great selection again, and I love your captions!
Glad to see you're putting that Canon TC to good use!!

Thanks PanamaMan! I'm still getting used to the TC setup, but it was definitely a boon at Duxford where you're rather further from the action vs my other regular haunt, Old Warden... and you don't want to be cropping into images too much with the FZ150's "modest" 12MP. The field of view at the minimum 150mm focal length was still OK for planes taxiing past the FoD enclosure right in front of me (I was a bit worried about that, I had a tiny compact with me just in case - but it was not really needed).

I owe such a lot to to these forums: I'd never heard of red dot sights until just 5 months ago on here (thanks Waddo Wabbit!), but now I am a RDS junky, and RDS enabled me to ditch my DSLR's in favour of the FZ150 with no regrets; your information about the Canon TC was invaluable; generally lots of good photography advice, information, examples etc is posted here.

As a result, my approach and technique have changed drastically, I think my airshow photos have greatly improved in the year or so that I've been here, and I am getting far better results with my little FZ150 than I ever got before - better even, than my old Canon 600D never mind my old 350D (although that's partly because my "best" lens was a very humble EF-S 55-250mm IS).

Dan K.R

Post by Dan K.R »

Nicely and very creative shooting :biggrin: