Avalon 2007

Airshow Photography from the UK and around the world
AndyBeau

Avalon 2007

Post by AndyBeau »

Well, with the 2009 Australian International Airshow at Avalon approaching us, I was reminiscing this evening and looking through my photos from the 2007 show. I can't believe it has nearly been 2 years already. Crazy. Also, I am starting to regret the decision to not go this year! :sad: But other priorities have to come first unfortunately.

Anyway, I thought I'd post these two shots as a reminder to those who are going this year to keep the camera ready at ALL times; you never know what to expect! :whistle:

Absolutely in no way are these of great quality but they still make me smile!! :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :yahoo: :rock:

Higgsr71

Re: Avalon 2007

Post by Higgsr71 »

Andy,

They are both great shots, but that Hornet shot is something else mate

Cheers
John

Ben Montgomery

Post by Ben Montgomery »

Wow- that Hornet.....lovely :clap: :drool:

KoenH

Post by KoenH »

Hello Andy,

you really got some wonderfull shots from the previous airshow, especially the 'Vark :drool: :yahoo:

Could you tell me what camera and lens was used for these shots and preferably also the settings?
I will go to the Airshow for the Friday-night display, and I would like to be prepared for displays like this. I don't really want to f***-up such a one-off chance :whistle:

thanks!
Koen

AndyBeau

Post by AndyBeau »

Very kind gentlemen, thank you.

Koen,

Both shots were taken with a Canon 350D + 400mm F/5.6 L lens.

Settings for both shots are as follows:

Aperture Priority
iso 200
f/5.6
1/640sec
exposure bias = -1 stop according to the exif.

Manual
iso200
f/5.6
1/400sec
exposure bias = 0

The hornet shot was underexposed by quite a bit, around 1 stop, but depends how you edit the image really. I increased the exposure by +1 in the raw editor before transferring to photoshop. So bearing that in mind, the settings above would need to be adjusted accordingly to correct the exposure.

It was, literally, a stab in the dark. You don't see the jets coming. The first thing you see is them punching out flares as they pull up and kicking in the afterburner. Happens extremely fast. There were two hornets and two F-111's if I remember rightly. Awesome sight at night!

I hope you manage to get some good shots. I look forward to seeing them!

I hope that helps. Any other questions you have, let me know.

KoenH

Post by KoenH »

hi Andy,

thank you very much for the advice!!

It will definately be a challenge to get some good photos, but I was afraid I had to use high ISOs and low shutter speeds. Framing the photo will be the biggest challenge looking at your experience.
I will be using my D300 with 50-500mm lens, so that should be good enough for the job.

Thanks again and hopefully I come back with something worth showing

Koen
*it's nice to visit an airshow where there is not much known about visitors, surprise surprise :smile: *

MikeB

Post by MikeB »

I'm suprised these haven't had more comments, the second shot is fanastic! :clap: Always good to see something different :topbombing:.

SuffolkBlue

Post by SuffolkBlue »

The Hornet shot is not bad Andy........... :whistle:

Never tire of seeing it!! Great stuff :clap: