Flying Legends Sunday

Airshow Photography from the UK and around the world
Gareth Horne
UKAR Supporter

Flying Legends Sunday

Post by Gareth Horne »

Despite a couple of heavy showers in the morning the sun came out for Sundays Legends Show. Given all the changes I'd been undecided about attending but glad I did. Mostly taken from the M11 end, been a few years since I've photographed from that location and was pleasantly surprised how well it worked with the new crowd line position.

Last edited by Gareth Horne on Tue 12 Jul 2016, 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gareth Horne
UKAR Supporter

Re: Flying Legends Sunday

Post by Gareth Horne »

aknott68 wrote:Some great photos there, I seriously considered going there but the weather put me off - gutted. Can I just confirm when you say the M11 end do you mean to the left of the flight line as you look at the dflying display?

Cheers

Yes, left hand end of the flight line, heading towards AirSpace hangar. As far from the Land Warfare hall and the tank bank as you can get :grin:

GeorgeP

Post by GeorgeP »

A pleasing set of images and I particularly like the landing shots. I presume that the tail-draggers prefer the grass strip which, from memory, is between the crowd line and the sealed runway. If you return to the M11 end in 2017, look for an Aussie with a HUGE smile. It'll be me. :smile:
Cheers,

George

Melbourne, Australia.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/30699732@N05/albums

Tbolt

Post by Tbolt »

Some great shot, well done.

aknott68 wrote:Some great photos there, I seriously considered going there but the weather put me off - gutted. Can I just confirm when you say the M11 end do you mean to the left of the flight line as you look at the dflying display?

Cheers

I did they same thing, I didn't fancy the rain wind that were forecast, but looks like it was the wrong decision :wall:

Gareth Horne
UKAR Supporter

Post by Gareth Horne »

We were really lucky with the weather, rain and cloud base was way down at 500ft about 13:00, and I drove though heavy rain half an our after leaving Duxford on the way home. but for the 3 hours of the display - dry, some nice fuffy clouds and even a fair bit of blue sky and sunshine. Found the stiff wind a bit of a nuisance making effective panning difficult with a long lens, hence the faster than ideal shutter speeds. The wind also put paid to the lighter types and WWI machines displaying too.

Yes, the majority of aircraft used the grass runway, closer to the crowd, hence the need to change the crowd line from previous years. From what I saw this weekend I think it worked rather well.