A Sunny Sunday @ Duxford Air Show ~ 11Sep16

A Sunny Sunday @ Duxford Air Show ~ 11Sep16

Postby Pen Pusher on Mon 12 Sep 2016, 4:30 pm

Was nice to see the aircraft on the flight line walk facing the other way which made for some different angles than the usual head-on shots. A couple of first's seeing the Snipe and MiG-15 displaying, and well impressed with the wizz, flash, bangs for the Great War Display Team. As for the Spitfire tail chase, probably the best I've seen yet with three formations all over the place and ended up just watching it with my Mk.1 eyeball rather than trying to photograph it. Due to a bit of a sore arm, old age probably, there was no way I was going to swing a Tamron 150-600mm lens about so I downsized to a Sony 70-300mm Full Frame lens attached to my Sony a6300 crop sensor camera. I knew shots would be limited to take offs/landings and any traffic that passed close enough but some display's like the Chipmunks, Buchon's and Norwegian jets were a bit to far away for 300mm.

Brian
The Future Of Photography Is Mirrorless

DUXFORDfotoGALLERY
Facebook
Pen Pusher

Re: A Sunny Sunday @ Duxford Air Show ~ 11Sep16

Postby hedgerowops on Mon 12 Sep 2016, 4:47 pm

Superb Brian :clap:
hedgerowops

Postby aknott68 on Mon 12 Sep 2016, 5:13 pm

I think I'll remove my photos having seen this set - these are fantastic.
aknott68

Postby Lighning Fan on Mon 12 Sep 2016, 5:15 pm

Excellent stuff. The low angle of view really adds something :clap:
Lighning Fan

Postby LN Strike Eagle on Mon 12 Sep 2016, 6:45 pm

EP122... :love: :love: :love:

That flight line is so much more photogenic when they're parked like that. Wish I'd been there now.
"You really are an oafish philistine at times!"
LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Postby aknott68 on Mon 12 Sep 2016, 6:51 pm

Personal opinion I'd like them the other way of preferably side on - but as I said that's just me.

I must admit looking at some of the imges from the flight line some of those aircraft look so good they don't look real they look like models...that must be a tribute to a) how well they're maintained and b) the excellent light we had.

Such a contrast in lighting conditions to the airshow I went to this weekend and Shuttleworth last weekend ;0)
aknott68

Postby strangelookingalien on Mon 12 Sep 2016, 7:19 pm

These are really good photographs, particularly considering the position of the sun.

What equipment were you using?
strangelookingalien

Postby sithrity on Mon 12 Sep 2016, 9:31 pm

Rub it in why don't you. :lol: I wanted shots like this for my collection! I certainly donated enough money for them. :sleepy:
I don't know everything there is to know about our hobby.

Kids, aviation, missus then responsibilities, (in that order)
sithrity

Postby LN Strike Eagle on Mon 12 Sep 2016, 10:56 pm

aknott68 wrote:Personal opinion I'd like them the other way of preferably side on - but as I said that's just me.

Not sure what you mean, but head-on all you see is propeller and the underside of wings, which obscures all of the colours and markings and isn't a very flattering or photogenic angle. If they were parked side-on, they'd all be heavily backlit. Tail-dragging warbirds, when on the ground, are best viewed from the rear 3/4.

They're parked head-on at almost every Duxford show anyway. I can only recall two shows in recent years to have them like this - makes a welcome change and, as I said, that alone would probably have lured me to Duxford had I known they were positioned this way. EP122, PP972 and P9374 are three I've not shot on the ground before, and in the case of the latter, I'll probably not get a chance again since it's off to a new home over the Atlantic.
"You really are an oafish philistine at times!"
LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Postby Pen Pusher on Tue 13 Sep 2016, 5:54 am

strangelookingalien wrote:What equipment were you using?

A Sony aA6300 Compact Systems Camera(24mp APS-C mirrorless) + Sony FE 70-300mm f4.5-5.6 G OSS telephoto zoom lens.

image - ©photographyblog.com

DUXFORDfotoGALLERY
Facebook
Pen Pusher

Postby Pen Pusher on Tue 13 Sep 2016, 6:03 am

Posted on Key, EP122 is in the TFC hangar with the other two Comanche fighters, the two Vampires flew direct to Norway with the MiG still at Duxford for 'the next couple of days'.

Brian

DUXFORDfotoGALLERY
Facebook
Pen Pusher

Postby aknott68 on Tue 13 Sep 2016, 6:54 am

Ln strike eagle

As I say positioning of the aircraft all about personal preference I appreciate given the lighting conditions in Duxford and the numbrr of aircraft side on isnt appropriate here.

I didnt realise p9374 is off to the states in which case I'm glad I got a picture of it (sorry to rub it in)

Brian some great positioning for your photos I was behind parked mig I'm guesding you were even further to the left of the runway?
aknott68

Postby Hatstand on Tue 13 Sep 2016, 6:43 pm

Very nice, I especially like the shot of Sally B with the Catalina in the air behind her
Goodbye 600D... Hello FZ150!
Hatstand
UKAR Supporter

Postby GeorgeP on Wed 14 Sep 2016, 11:23 am

An excellent set, Brian. The blue sky and sunshine must have been a welcome relief for all who attended.
Cheers,

George

Melbourne, Australia.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/30699732@N05/albums
GeorgeP

Return to Airshow Photos