Looking back at 2016

Looking back at 2016

Postby james908 on Mon 02 Jan 2017, 4:56 pm

Afternoon all,

With the new year arriving, thought it would be a good idea to get round to sharing some of my pictures from 2016.

Didn't manage to get to as many shows or bases as I would have liked, but in terms of quality the year was fantastic.

On with the shots, a mix from shows and a few odds chucked in for good measure.

The year started in a cold and foggy Southampton, where this rather smart Super Puma was on delivery to the South Korean Coastguard via the docks.
ImageNational 119 Rescue Services - Eurocopter EC-225LP Super Puma + - Southampton Docks by James Hancock Photography, on Flickr

In March, a final chance to see the HC.4 Sea King's, passing over HMNB Portsmouth.
ImageRoyal Navy Westland Sea King Mk.4 trio - HMNB Portsmouth RN Sea King retirement by James Hancock Photography, on Flickr

ImageRoyal Navy Westland Sea King Mk.4 five ship formation - HMNB Portsmouth RN Sea King retirement by James Hancock Photography, on Flickr

First show of the year was Yeovilton, some great acts present, ending with the tremendous Commando Assault.
ImageRNAS Yeovilton Air Day 2016-79 by James Hancock Photography, on Flickr

ImageRNAS Yeovilton Air Day 2016-167 by James Hancock Photography, on Flickr

Spent a single day at RIAT, appalling weather but again, some magnificent acts on display.
ImageRIAT Sunday 2016-65 by James Hancock Photography, on Flickr

ImageRIAT Sunday 2016-179 by James Hancock Photography, on Flickr

A week later, I finally got back to Old Warden for their July 'At Home' event. Did the format of the event work? Not really, as evidenced by the numbers in attendance, but good access and great flying meant for a very pleasant day out.
ImageAt Home with Shuttleworth - July 2016-4 by James Hancock Photography, on Flickr

ImageAt Home with Shuttleworth - July 2016-7 by James Hancock Photography, on Flickr

ImageAt Home with Shuttleworth - July 2016-17 by James Hancock Photography, on Flickr

Made another long overdue return in August, heading to Mildenhall and Lakenheath. Luck of the draw meant there were some nice movements throughout the day, so much so it took all day for a based tanker to make an appearance!
ImageMildenhall and Lakenheath - 08-09-2016-15 by James Hancock Photography, on Flickr

ImageMildenhall and Lakenheath - 08-09-2016-22 by James Hancock Photography, on Flickr

ImageMildenhall and Lakenheath - 08-09-2016-63 by James Hancock Photography, on Flickr

ImageMildenhall and Lakenheath - 08-09-2016-65 by James Hancock Photography, on Flickr

Prior to heading back to university in September, I made my now annual trip down to Jersey. Again, more great variety on show, already looking forward to seeing what comes in 2017.
ImageJersey International Air Display 2016 by James Hancock Photography, on Flickr

ImageJersey International Air Display 2016 by James Hancock Photography, on Flickr

Finally, my season ended like many others, at Old Warden's 'Race Day'. Fantastic weather and flying, a great way to round off the year.
Imagede Havilland DH-88 Comet | G-ACSS | | Shuttleworth Season Finale 2016 by James Hancock Photography, on Flickr

ImageNorth American P-51D Mustang 'Tall in the Saddle' | G-SIJJ | | Shuttleworth Season Finale 2016 by James Hancock Photography, on Flickr

Hope those of you that got this far liked what you saw, any comments, criticisms or the like would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
James
james908

Re: Looking back at 2016

Postby Chris G on Sun 15 Jan 2017, 5:15 pm

Nice set of images, hard to pick a winner though!
Kirkbride Airfield, Cumbria, Open Day - Sun 3rd Sept 2017
Chris G

Return to Airshow Photos