Your favourite image from 2016!

Airshow Photography from the UK and around the world
UK Airshow Review
UKAR Staff

Your favourite image from 2016!

Post by UK Airshow Review »

As per UKAR tradition, our annual thread is here for you to show us what you felt was your favourite photo that you've take over the past year. While we may have had a thinner show calendar, there were a number of exciting aviation events and deployments in the UK last year which provided us with some wonderful opportunities for photography - and of course, plenty of overseas action too for those lucky enough to travel abroad. As usual we've seen some cracking photosets posted to our forum so let's break them out again! One image per person please, and we'd love you to give a little description fo why that image is your favourite - every photo has a story behind it, after all.

Get posting!

Weather Watcher

Re: Your favourite image from 2016!

Post by Weather Watcher »

There were only a few to choose from but possibly this from my last show of the season at Old Warden. Sopwith Dove (replica). Great light and atmosphere.
ImageSopwith Dove (replica)

PeterR

Post by PeterR »

Hard to pick, but I'll throw in this one from Zeltweg.
Image7L-WI / Austrian Air Force / Eurofighter Typhoon by Peter Reoch, on Flickr

FarnboroJohn

Post by FarnboroJohn »

I could shoot for ten years and not get this again:

Image20160911 (209)_The_Red_Arrows (Explore) by John Dixon, on Flickr

RAFAT at the September Duxford were as good as I've seen them in fifty years.

John

Maccyd

Post by Maccyd »

Departing Prestwick enroute to Portrush, greatful to get a few nice shots after two days of poor weather at the Scottish Airshow. ImageThumper charges by Brian Macdonald, on Flickr

CJS

Post by CJS »

ImageDSC00222 by Chris Strawson, on Flickr

For me, this from the static at RIAT. Great show and some real gems on the static park as well as in the air.
"There's only one way of life, and that's your own"

jonny7

Post by jonny7 »

Not long after buying a budget Nikon, this little replica plane visited Beccles.The owner had also just acquired the aircraft and I was over the moon catching him departing with the image you see. He was also very happy when I sent the shot and he told me how pleased he was with the Titan mustang... :smile:

ImageG-MUZY/T51 Titan Mustang/Beccles by John Bilcliffe, on Flickr
Don't say something crass, to hide your envy. Just give credit, when its applicable...

Private Custard

Post by Private Custard »

All-in-all, a bit of a crap year. This is probably my favourite, even though there are a few sunlit topsides I'd wanted for ages, that could also qualify. Not technically perfect, but hey, my favourite shots often aren't.

eirik
UKAR Supporter

Post by eirik »

This air 2 air with Spitfire Mk.IX RR232 over Lake Øyern close to Kjeller(Norway) shot in in September is one of my favorites of the season:

Image_MG_0415-Edit.jpg by Eirik Østensjø, on Flickr

We had lots of glare from the sun, but the experience was fantastic!
Part of the Norwegian Spitfire Foundation.
http://www.norwegianspitfire.com

My photos:
http://aviationpix.no

BigClick67

Post by BigClick67 »

Very hard to narrow it down to a single photo. After a quick but thorough selection process I would like to contribute this one here, showing German Typhoon 30+75 head-on while lining up at Wittmund for a night mission in January 2016. I have chosen this one because it combines the difficulty of shooting moving objects in the dark (which is rather challenging) with the blueish colours of a chilly January winter night and the menacing head-on silhouette of one of the most powerful fighters around. It took quite a few attempts to achieve this image… and here it is. I hope you like it.
Cheers, Chris :biggrin:

habu21

Post by habu21 »

Its not often I come out with a shot that I imagined in my head before the event.But this happened at the Eastbourne show last year when the Sea Vixen went tech as she started her display and had to abort and go back to RNAS Yeovilton. Every act was avoiding Beachy Head with the exeption of a few, and the one shot I had in my head was having the Sea Vixen with the sea underneath, I came away from that show a happy bunny...... :smile:

Image1 by Mooneyes21, on Flickr

Paul_Reflex

Post by Paul_Reflex »

I've wanted to catch a Tornado at a night shoot for ages and then two come along in one year! The airframe in Op Granby markings was amazing to see at Notrtholt, but I like this shot of a 41 sqn machine at the Coningsby night shoot back in March.

Pringles

Post by Pringles »

My favourite photo from the year would have to be this photograph of Chipmunk WK514 from an air-to-air I flew back in August. It's been a dream of mine for a while to fly an air-to-air, and I gained some invaluable experience when I carried out my first one with this wonderful Chippie, that I hope I get to utilize as soon as possible with other aircraft! It also brings back memories of my flight in the aircraft afterwards, which was possibly the most fantastic experience of my life. I also got my first UKAR POTW with my set from that afternoon, which I am extremely pleased about! This particular shot itself isn't the most technically demanding of the photos that I took, but I really like the dynamism as the aircraft banks away with the River Avon in the background, and it has fast become my favourite.

WK514 by Alexander Prins, on Flickr
If life gives you melons then you're probably dyslexic

J.C Photography

Post by J.C Photography »

I've been going to airshows since I was about 4 now, and this has to be one of the most impressive displays that I have ever witnessed! Two French Navy Rafales tearing the skies over Somerset apart!

Image_DSC0304_01 by J.C_Photography, on Flickr

lynothehammer

Post by lynothehammer »

A really enjoyable night at Brize Norton for their first nightshoot and was brilliant to see the A400 engine run...

ImageEGVN - Airbus A400M - Royal Air Force - ZM400 by Steve Lynes, on Flickr

duxfordhawk

Post by duxfordhawk »

Went for this photo as was pretty special finally seeing the F-35 in the flesh, and RIAT was a real highlight of my airshow season.

ImageUSAF Heritage Flight P-51 and F-35A RIAT 2016 by Martin Stitchener, on Flickr
Martin
To see my Photos go to
http://www.flickr.com/photos/dxhawk/

shaggy101

Post by shaggy101 »

Been an interesting year for me, should be another interesting one ahead, but for me this was my favourite shot from last year. First time I'd seen a Tu-134 in the air & it looked resplendent on the ground at night.

ImageKazakhstan Border Guard Tupolev Tu-134A by Dan Reeves, on Flickr
Dan,

Skyflash
UKAR Staff

Post by Skyflash »

Not just my favourite image of 2016 but also my favourite moment: the early evening arrival of the two QF-4s at Oshkosh for the annual airshow.

by Gordon Duncan, on Flickr
Posting comments on an aviation-related chatroom, are ya? Looks like it an' all...

Hammy

Post by Hammy »

Andy and Russ of the Gazelle Squadron debrief following their first display, at Cosford back in June.

Martin
Author, visionary, dreamweaver... Plus actor.

Planespotters.net gallery
mwneedham.com

Tuckat

Post by Tuckat »

My offering, from Yeovilton Air Day. After doggedly sticking with film for over 30 years I finally went all digital in 2016, and this was my first outing with the Sigma 150-600 C lens. This was a superb display, beautifully flown and skilfully displayed.

By the way, there are some amazing images on this post, thank you all for sharing.

ImageIMG_4075-2-2 by Phil Roberts, on Flickr
Blood, Tears and Folly

stuart n

Post by stuart n »

Typically there's a better Spitfire air to air photo here already :surrender: Still, this is my favourite from last year. For my 40th birthday my wife bought me a wing to wing with a Spitfire experience organised by Classic Wings at Duxford. Was delighted MH434 was on duty that day, don't be fooled by the sky though it was very bumpy we had to wait until 3PM for the wind to drop. Very well organised, would recommend it to anyone :)

Spitfire IXb MH434 G-ASJV - The Old Flying Machine Company Duxford by stu norris, on Flickr

Domvickery
UKAR Staff

Post by Domvickery »

Dont ask me why, but the KC-10 departing RIAT this year sticks with me

Image403 by justdom1, on Flickr
Free straws available to clutch at - PM me. Inventor of the baguette scale

alizam

Post by alizam »

this is my favourite :) malta airshow 2016

ImageMalta International Airshow 2016 by Alistair Zammit, on Flickr

DeanW

Post by DeanW »

This is my favourite. It's not uber-dynamic or a smart head on, nor is it shot in beautiful blue skies, but it's a Japanese Phantom in an awesome colour scheme and I was chuffed to bits to be able to photograph them at Hyakuri..

Seamus

Post by Seamus »

This image is the one that really sticks out from my year, about as close as I'm ever likely to get to shooting one of my favourite helicopters air to air at one of my favourite locations.

ImageAgustaWestland Merlin HC3i ZJ118/B Royal Navy Okehampton Camp 07/05/16 by Shaun Schofield, on Flickr
My shots on Flickr and Airliners