Berlin Express Canopy shatters

Berlin Express Canopy shatters

Postby TKK 140 on Sat 08 Jul 2017, 7:47 pm

Diving in for the first pass P51B Berlin Express suffered a shattered canopy. In the previous shot there appears to be a crack in the left hand. Fortunately no one injured but a great shame for the pilot.

TKK 140

Re: Berlin Express Canopy shatters

Postby Alpha Delta 210 on Sat 08 Jul 2017, 8:23 pm

Great catch.
Alpha Delta 210

Postby TKK 140 on Sat 08 Jul 2017, 9:00 pm

Alpha Delta 210 wrote:Great catch.

Thanks, lucky catch here is the preceding and following shot to the one above.

crack on the right hand side visible.
TKK 140

Postby Sundowner on Sat 08 Jul 2017, 9:07 pm

All in a fraction of a second....well caught.
Sundowner

Postby DaveBr on Sat 08 Jul 2017, 9:36 pm

Are you sure you're not threatening the very future of airshows posting these?
Dave Brenchley Photography
http://www.davebrenchley.co.uk
DaveBr

Postby TKK 140 on Sat 08 Jul 2017, 9:58 pm

DaveBr wrote:Are you sure you're not threatening the very future of airshows posting these?

Probably not.
TKK 140

Postby Airspeed on Sat 08 Jul 2017, 11:22 pm

DaveBr wrote:Are you sure you're not threatening the very future of airshows posting these?

No one was hurt. The aircraft landed safely. There is no suggestion the public were endangered. It was witnessed by thousands of spectators. It was photographed by a large number of people. It has been reported widely already on social media. How could the sharing of these particular images threaten the future of airshows? They are more likely to be of benefit in any analysis of the incident.
Airspeed

Postby smokey on Sat 08 Jul 2017, 11:35 pm

Airspeed wrote:

No one was hurt. The aircraft landed safely. There is no suggestion the public were endangered. It was witnessed by thousands of spectators. It was photographed by a large number of people. It has been reported widely already on social media. How could the sharing of these particular images threaten the future of airshows? They are more likely to be of benefit in any analysis of the incident.

It was sarcasm from DaveBr as Dano has been having his usual rant on the Legends thread. Hopefully his medication will kick in soon . Great shot BTW
Rich in Rutland
smokey

Postby slinky on Sun 09 Jul 2017, 1:09 am

I don't think you are seeing a crack in your previous pic. The Malcolm Hood starts to bulge there and it looks like the reflection of the white stripe on the wing. If you put it into perspective, the crack would have to be over an inch wide if that's what it was....
Last edited by slinky on Sun 09 Jul 2017, 1:20 am, edited 2 times in total.
slinky

Postby slinky on Sun 09 Jul 2017, 1:10 am

Your second pic is amazing.....Very good capture!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
slinky

Postby Tbolt on Sun 09 Jul 2017, 6:22 am

Nice capture. I think I was shooting a taxing aircraft at the time so never got the pass. Like a lot of people I got pictures of her taxing in and never noticed the canopy missing till I looked at my pictures!

Where are you seeing the crack? Obviously you have the larger images and we are only seeing a reduced size, but I can't see any crack in that shot.
Tbolt

Postby Talldan76 on Sun 09 Jul 2017, 9:01 am

smokey wrote:
Airspeed wrote:

It was sarcasm from DaveBr as Dano has been having his usual rant on the Legends thread. Hopefully his medication will kick in soon . Great shot BTW

To be fair, I've not seen any other news stories in the media other than this...

There was not a single story, or mention about it on any of the "News"paper websites that I have looked at this morning.
Talldan76

Postby Maisie on Sun 09 Jul 2017, 1:56 pm

Well caught... shame, but it happens. Main thing is everyone is OK.... I guess if no canopy is found it's crated back to the USA....
6D | 7D | 60D
11-16 f/2.8 | 24-105 IS L | 70-300 IS USM | 50 f/1.4 | 100 f/2.8 | 400 f/5.6
Maisie

Postby Screechy on Sun 09 Jul 2017, 6:01 pm

I do have a shot of it, not very sharp however, that clearly shows that it didnt shatter immediately but became detached first and as it lifted into the airstream it then shattered. Looks like it detached along the right hand side, and with it still being attached on the left i guess the airstream got inside the canopy and twisted it beyond it's limits until it shattered.
Screechy

Postby Crazy Horse on Mon 10 Jul 2017, 8:18 am

That's not a crack in the cockpit before. It's a Malcolm hood, so bubble canopy.
That's the reflection of the cockpit rail, distorted because of the bubble shape.

Still a shame though...
Crazy Horse

Postby TKK 140 on Mon 10 Jul 2017, 8:27 am

OK, however on static it appeared the LH side was scratched. A shame as you say.
TKK 140

Return to Airshow Photos