Fairford RIAT 2017 - first time SLR shots

Airshow Photography from the UK and around the world
soloturk

Fairford RIAT 2017 - first time SLR shots

Post by soloturk »

Hello all,

After a reasonable trial at Yeovilton I thought I had it cracked, but then it was cloudy so I had no idea really what to do! Last time I used my Fuji HS10 which I've only had really, that and a brief period with another bridge, but threw all the flying stuff away as it was all rubbish.

So with the SLR I used a 300mm Nikon lens, and the stock 55mm lens for static. Had some issues with the 300mm lens as it's manual only, and the ring is so delicate and trying to manual focus on something bombing along I found rather difficult, coupled with I'm not sure what setting's to use on a rather dark, low cloud base!

I did some editing to fix some things but scrapped the rest, so there are a few static shot's as well.

Toying with the idea of getting a this one and seeing how I get on

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TAMRON-AF-70- ... 1431.l2649

Thanks for looking!

James.

Tbolt

Re: Fairford RIAT 2017 - first time SLR shots

Post by Tbolt »

Good pictures, manual focus is hard work isn't it? I'm so glad for the AF systems we have now. I'm sure that Tamron lens would be fine, but if you are going to be doing a lot of this 300mm is a little short for the distances they display from the crowd nowadays, but it will be fine for places like Old Warden. Of course to get over 300mm it's starts to get expensive unless you shoot 4/3rds or smaller.