Rhyl Airshow 2017

Airshow Photography from the UK and around the world
Wrexham Mackem
UKAR Staff

Rhyl Airshow 2017

Post by Wrexham Mackem »

A relatively local event for me this one, and although its no great spectacle, an afternoon's aerial entertainment by the seaside can't be a bad thing. While not reaching the heights of some previous events, this year was a marked improvement on last. A few shots then, and more on Flickr.

In the absence of the BBMF, the event was kicked off by Will Greenwood's Yak-3, followed by the Trig Team. Neither showed well for photography - too far away against a drab sky - so here's the Bronco to start. The first time I've seen the full display and I was very impressed.

Team Raven, down to four following unserviceability. One managed to get back on to the formation at the end of the display for the last couple of breaks

rare to see a Griffin in a public flying display. Two passes, no hovering, so a fleeting appearance

With barely a breath of wind here the Breitling Wingwalkers laid their own fog blanket in which to display, but were as ever great value

the seaside crowds seem far easier to engage than us enthusiast types. If the commentator tells them that Mark Petrie can see them so please wave, they will!

shows like this are all about the Red Arrows for many visitors, and its fair to say they delighted the crowd. Much cheering, clapping, ooh-ing and ah-ing. Just as it should be.

and finally trying to sum up a British sea-side airshow in a picture

A free event, where even the programme is given away, and a nice day out. It would be great to see the RAF give it full support for next year's centenary celebrations.

thanks for looking folks,
Nige.

Alpha Delta 210

Re: Rhyl Airshow 2017

Post by Alpha Delta 210 »

Nice set. Good to see the Griffin. My favourite is the last image with the Reds and the crowd. I am guilty of focussing (pun intended!) too much on the aerial action and forgetting the human element.

Skyflash
UKAR Staff

Post by Skyflash »

Lovely set and yes, the final image is a corker. Well done. :clap:
Posting comments on an aviation-related chatroom, are ya? Looks like it an' all...

PeterR

Post by PeterR »

Another vote for the final image, bravo! :clap:

Wrexham Mackem
UKAR Staff

Post by Wrexham Mackem »

Thanks lads. To photograph aircraft is one thing, to photograph an airshow is another. I'm still working on it :smile:

Pat Murphy

Post by Pat Murphy »

Nice stuff Nige :smile: I couldn't get there this year, too much work to get away, although we got an overflight from the Reds on their way in on Sunday and mid morning on Monday on the way to The Cilcain show.
Particularly like the last shot :clap:

Pat

P.S, The back problem turned out to be a slipped disc and I'm only just getting back on my feet now. :roll: