Southport Airshow 2017 with Friday night launch

Airshow Photography from the UK and around the world
Wrexham Mackem
UKAR Staff

Southport Airshow 2017 with Friday night launch

Post by Wrexham Mackem »

There really is nowhere quite like Southport. A hybrid of seaside and airfield event, as has been well documented in the past. Its a lovely venue for an airshow. But above all, that light.. and for the seventh year running I've aced the choice of which day to go, and find a perfect sunny day, far more by luck than judgement! That sun is not always behind you, but is always interesting, and challenging, and the big sky and expanse of sand is a perfect stage for a flying display.

Begininning this year with the Friday night launch. This was just over an hour's flying display, in the setting sun, accompanied by music rather than more conventional commentary. A firework display followed. It was my first experience of a night show and I have to say it was tremendous entertainment. I would probably have appreciated it even more had I just put my camera down and watched, but I couldn't resist having a go. Suffice to say I learned a lot about how (not to) shoot a night show!

Getting to the event in time was a big challenge, and in fact I made it to the crowd line well into the BBMF display

three minutes to sort myself out and get the camera on the right settings, then on with the show

I didn't stay for the firework display. I can imagine it was very good, so maybe next year when I'm a bit warmer and have more time to spare..

Back again on Saturday then, where the event seemed more laid back and less busy than previous years. Its a mistake to under-estimate just how much of a crowd puller the Red Arrows are.

a solo Breitling Wingwalker gave a more aerobatic display than the duo. Get that stick over...

and just to note how fabulous it is to see a classic jet fly a graceful aerobatic display. Its just right.

All in all and across the three services, military support was noticeably down this year. A shame, and I hope a temporary state of affairs. At least there was a Typhoon to close the show and rip the sky up a little

And that was that. Some superb display flying, in mostly perfect conditions.

there are plenty more photographs for Southport fans in a Flickr album here:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/151934326 ... 153181432/

..but finally, here's another shot of that sunset the night before to bring down the curtain on my airshow season

who knows what 2018 will bring.

cheers,
Nige.

DerekF

Re: Southport Airshow 2017 with Friday night launch

Post by DerekF »

Very nice and some familiar looking images. :smile: