Wings Over Dallas (pic heavy)

Airshow Photography from the UK and around the world
bolshi

Wings Over Dallas (pic heavy)

Post by bolshi »

Just back from a great couple of weeks in the States. Spent 2 days at Wings Over Dallas which was a warbird event hosted by the Commemorative Airforce which celebrated their 60th Anniversary and also the 75th Anniversary of the Doolittle raid.The heavies were B-29 "Fifi" (which I had a flight in on the Sunday :rock: ), B-17's "Texas Raiders" & "Sentimental Journey" , B-25's "Maid in the Shade","Miss Mitchell", "Yellow Rose","Show Me","MBII" & "Devil Dog" with a couple of A26's "Special Kay" & "Night Mission".
The show itself was okay, different by our style of show. I did like the "Presentation" area where they had bleachers set up and would bring a particular aircraft up close and have a veteran chat about what they did in that type during the war.It was a humbling experience to hear first hand what they had went through and the lucky escapes that some of them had.
On the downside the P-39 went tech on the Sunday so I did not get the pictures I wanted, that and because the Great Wall of Fire caused so much carnage that the grass went on fire so it was impossible to shoot pictures for a good 30 minutes due to smoke everywhere :sad:

Thanks for lookiing
c&c welcome

Bolshi

NicoNico

Re: Wings Over Dallas (pic heavy)

Post by NicoNico »

The B-25 "Show Me" shot is very nice !! :smile:

Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Post by Wissam24 »

Cracking collection of warbirds!
Twitter: @samwise24 | Flickr: samwise24 | Shamelessly copying LN Strike Eagle's avatar ideas since 2016

AlexC

Post by AlexC »

bolshi wrote:I did not get the pictures I wanted, that and because the Great Wall of Fire caused so much carnage that the grass went on fire so it was impossible to shoot pictures for a good 30 minutes due to smoke everywhere :sad:

The Americans do seem to go in for this sort of thing in a big way. Ironically it leaves me rather cold!
Pte. Aubrey Gerald Harmer, R. Suss. R. (att. to the Sherwood Foresters) KIA 26/9/1917 Polygon Wood, aged 19, NKG. RIP

bolshi

Post by bolshi »

Thanks NicNico a couple of the B-25s did some very low straight and level passes.
Definitely a sight to see,and they have more based at various parts of the country. For the 60th CAF anniversary fly past they had the B-29, B-17s, B-25s and the Invaders all up at the same time but the formation was to loose to get a decent picture, that was when the did the heavy pyrotechnics.
I know what you mean AlexC...the sad thing was they had already done a couple of simulated bombing runs with a few bangs and a couple of well orchestrated strafing runs and could have left it at that.

Bolshi