Duxford Air Festival 2018

Airshow Photography from the UK and around the world
rockfordstone

Duxford Air Festival 2018

Post by rockfordstone »

I went along to Duxford this weekend for my first air show of the year. Went on both days in which turned out to be totally glorious weather.

I took along my new lens, a 150-600 Tamron which i have recently purchased and was eager to try out.

I've only photographed a couple of air shows in recent years so i'm still learning the craft. Here are a selection of shots from the two days. Hope you enjoy, apologies if it's image heavy

Sorry for the overload. There is a load more on my flcikr https://www.flickr.com/photos/mycreativeheadspace/.

Feedback welcome

rockfordstone

Re: Duxford Air Festival 2018

Post by rockfordstone »

So rather than load this thread with a load more of my images. I decided to put a load more on my website blog post for the show. The can be seen here http://rs7photography.co.uk/2018/05/duxfordairfestival18/

CJS

Post by CJS »

Some nice shots in there I recks. I'm no expert - really I am no expert - but I think they could cope with a bit more of a crop and to be displayed a little larger.

The first one is my stand out shot for sure - nicely composed and framed.

For example though, the solo Sea Fury could have less sky around it, and I think the shot of N3200 could be cropped at least a bit without losing too much quality (although my laptop is rubbish so I can't really tell). The cropping (if indeed there is any) on the second shot (is it a FW something-or-other?) is kind of what I mean.

And this isn't really feedback, but you've done a grand job of making the Corsair look like a monster compared to the Sea Furys, a trick of the eye cos I don't think it's that much bigger in real life!

But I like 'em :up:
"There's only one way of life, and that's your own"

rockfordstone

Post by rockfordstone »

CJS wrote:Some nice shots in there I recks. I'm no expert - really I am no expert - but I think they could cope with a bit more of a crop and to be displayed a little larger.

The first one is my stand out shot for sure - nicely composed and framed.

For example though, the solo Sea Fury could have less sky around it, and I think the shot of N3200 could be cropped at least a bit without losing too much quality (although my laptop is rubbish so I can't really tell). The cropping (if indeed there is any) on the second shot (is it a FW something-or-other?) is kind of what I mean.

And this isn't really feedback, but you've done a grand job of making the Corsair look like a monster compared to the Sea Furys, a trick of the eye cos I don't think it's that much bigger in real life!

But I like 'em :up:

thanks for the feedback.
i have been quite conservative with my cropping. it's mainly due to before having used shorter lenses and not wanting to lose resolution, but yes i think i could probably crop tighter with my new lens.

i also treat them the same as i would do my landscapes and use the rule of thirds, rather than put the target here front and centre.

i'll certainly play with some of the cropping and see how they come out