Tommy at Cosford

Airshow Photography from the UK and around the world
Tommy
UKAR Staff

Tommy at Cosford

Post by Tommy »

Morning chaps and chapesses,

Given that I'm taking over from Andy doing RIAT Live Arrivals this year, I wanted to get practice in beforehand. It's one thing doing it on Twitter, as I've done for a few years, but another on forums. Hopefully today is to work out the kinks.

So, I'll be doing a "live arrivals" of sorts for the RAF Cosford Airshow.

All done on the phone, so forgive typos, bizarre editing, and wonderful autocarrots.

Obvs not much going on right now, but check out this bad boy in the meantime. A sticker on a fake F-35 that's not the variant we've got. Peak RAF100 :lol:

Berf

Re: Tommy at Cosford

Post by Berf »

Which runway is in use this morning?

Thanks

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

Spitfire and Hurricane just arrived, using Runway 06. Didn't taxy past the platform.

Berf

Post by Berf »

Thanks

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

Red Bull lot have arrived. A Sopwith Trip lane and SE.5a have, too.

And the RAF100 Chinook

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

Quite quiet atm. Expecting a couple of practices this afternoon, I think.

jalfrezi
UKAR Staff

Post by jalfrezi »

Good job so far, Tommy.

Hopefully get a chance to say hello tomorrow. :wave:

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

Sadly my Android software has let me down right now (never had a problem with iOS! :whistle:)

I'll try and upload more later.

G-ROBT just formated with the MiG-29 :love:

Berf

Post by Berf »

It’s a practice so maybe a stand in for something else or as it was just doing the same with the chinook aerial photography

The Baron

Post by The Baron »

Berf wrote:It’s a practice so maybe a stand in for something else or as it was just doing the same with the chinook aerial photography

G-ROBT is a Hurricane. A flypast with the MiG 29 would be a nice then & now nod to the Polish Air Force in the Battle of Britain. Presumably the Skyvan that led that formation, and the Chinook after was purely for photographic purposes.
Loafer for Mr. Da Vinci.

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

Skyvan was doing aerial photography, but the MiG and Hurri broke away and did their own pass along the airfield.

I knew to expect it, but the Red Bull Bo105 is the must mental helicopter display I've ever seen. They turned it inside out. :joystick:

NTG1610

Post by NTG1610 »

Tommy wrote:Morning chaps and chapesses,

Given that I'm taking over from Andy doing RIAT Live Arrivals this year, I wanted to get practice in beforehand. It's one thing doing it on Twitter, as I've done for a few years, but another on forums. Hopefully today is to work out the kinks.

So, I'll be doing a "live arrivals" of sorts for the RAF Cosford Airshow.

All done on the phone, so forgive typos, bizarre editing, and wonderful autocarrots.

Obvs not much going on right now, but check out this bad boy in the meantime. A sticker on a fake F-35 that's not the variant we've got. Peak RAF100 :lol:

To be fair the large sticker covering almost the whloe tail doesnt look half as bad as some on the real aircraft ,

kinglear27

Post by kinglear27 »

Tommy wrote:I knew to expect it, but the Red Bull Bo105 is the must mental helicopter display I've ever seen. They turned it inside out. :joystick:

Having seen the Bo105 display as Mainfonds last year, i can definitely say that it was the best helicopter display I have ever seen.

Berf

Post by Berf »

The Baron wrote:
Berf wrote:It’s a practice so maybe a stand in for something else or as it was just doing the same with the chinook aerial photography

G-ROBT is a Hurricane. A flypast with the MiG 29 would be a nice then & now nod to the Polish Air Force in the Battle of Britain. Presumably the Skyvan that led that formation, and the Chinook after was purely for photographic purposes.

Yup put my delirious comment down to the 0330 start today

The Baron

Post by The Baron »

Rather you than me, Berf! I've been there and done it. It's not something I enjoy.
Loafer for Mr. Da Vinci.

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

Couple more from me today.

Phone tech let me down, but that was the point of the exercise, so no biggie. Though a shame. Some from me of today's highlights, and hopefully to whet the appetite for those attending tomorrow:

ImageBa Ba Black Sheep by Tom Jones, on Flickr

Nice to see the "Dark Falcon" scheme in the flesh. I'm a fan. :rock:
ImageMillenial Falcon by Tom Jones, on Flickr

ImageVador Revealed by Tom Jones, on Flickr

Seriously. A MiG-29 display at Cosford. Five or six years ago, you wouldn't have even dared dream of such a thing! Callsign "Smoker" very much living up to its moniker. I've never seen such a smoky MiG-29 display from the Polish. And a full tail-slide, too. Love it!

ImageSmoker's Turf by Tom Jones, on Flickr

ImageIronwings by Tom Jones, on Flickr

ImagePolish Gas by Tom Jones, on Flickr

ImageHonourBadge by Tom Jones, on Flickr

ImageCoal Fired by Tom Jones, on Flickr

This was amazing, though. And long overdue to happen. Credit to PReoch and all the others that made this a reality. :worship: :win:

Although, shots were difficult from the platform due to heat haze, angles, perspective etc. It'll look great form inside, though.
ImageBoB Nod by Tom Jones, on Flickr

The place just isn't going to be the same without a "Teichman arrival":

ImageTeichman Tip-In by Tom Jones, on Flickr

ImageShark Smile by Tom Jones, on Flickr

Great to see, but the display is a bit long. As it's such a huge machine, its re-positioning time turns the display into more of a series of cool flypasts. Excellent to have them here nonetheless. That roar of the fast pass at the end is worth watching!
ImageKiwi Roar by Tom Jones, on Flickr

It is not so much that words fail me. It's that words were never capable of not failing when trying to describe this display. Absolutely nuts.
ImageBo-datious by Tom Jones, on Flickr

The Rafale practice featured the spare jet with the special tail.
ImageRAFale100 by Tom Jones, on Flickr

And finally, a highlight for me. I remember being at Cosford some years ago and looking at the Sycamore in very similar colours in the Museum and thinking "what a shame I'll never see one fly". Very glad to be wrong:

ImageSicc amore by Tom Jones, on Flickr

Phew. That's all folks, thanks so much for looking. Apologies for the tech issues (though, again, that's what today was for, primarily!). For those attending tomorrow, do enjoy it, on paper to me it's one of the best Cosford shows in years and years.

Thanks to Rob (it has been far, FAR, too long, pal!), Col, IanG, and numerous others on the train platform today. And to Wes for giving me the crucial message updates from Shawbury!

rockfordstone

Post by rockfordstone »

some lovely shots there. that f-35 mock up with the RAF 100 sticker makes the sticker actually look decent.

in use on the other air craft it just looks awful. not sure why they bothered on the chinook, the tiny stickers just look ridiculous