June Airshow Catch-Up - Fly Navy, Weston & Headcorn

Airshow Photography from the UK and around the world
Thommo95

June Airshow Catch-Up - Fly Navy, Weston & Headcorn

Post by Thommo95 »

With the showpiece shows of the UK airshow season notably Yeovilton and RIAT around the corner, I am taking the time to focus on the excellent start we've had to the airshow season through the sunshine in June.

First up Old Warden and the 3rd rendition of the Fly Navy theme, despite notable cancellations and absentees still a stunning show in beautiful weather but maybe Shuttleworth should take the time to think of a new theme for the 2019 season for the collection's main June airshow theme. Highlight for me was the Corsair landing at Old Warden and of course the Lancaster but having shot topsides of PA474 in perfect conditions at the May evening show I haven't even given the shots I took a second look!

ImageConsolidated PBV-1A Canso (Catalina) - 44-33915 (G-PBYA) - Plane Sailing - IWM Duxford by Nick Thompson, on Flickr

ImageAvro Nineteen - TX176 (G-AHKX) - BAE Systems - Old Warden Aerodrome by Nick Thompson, on Flickr

ImageHawker Demon - K8203 (G-BTVE) - Demon Displays Ltd - Old Warden Aerodrome by Nick Thompson, on Flickr

ImageHawker Nimrod II - K3661 (G-BURZ) - Historic Aircraft Collection - IWM Duxford by Nick Thompson, on Flickr

ImageGoodyear FG-1D Corsair - KD345 (G-FGID) - TFC - IWM Duxford by Nick Thompson, on Flickr

ImageGoodyear FG-1D Corsair - KD345 (G-FGID) - TFC - IWM Duxford by Nick Thompson, on Flickr

ImageHawker Sea Fury T20 - VX281 (G-RNHF) - RNHF - RNAS Yeovilton by Nick Thompson, on Flickr

ImageWestland SA341D Gazelle HT3 - ZB627 (G-CBSK) - The Gazelle Squadron - Bourne Park by Nick Thompson, on Flickr

ImageWestland SA341D Gazelle HT3 - XZ934 (G-CBSI) - Private - Bourne Park by Nick Thompson, on Flickr

ImageWestland Wasp HAS1 - 92 (G-BYCX) - Private by Nick Thompson, on Flickr

ImageBristol Boxkite Replice - G-ASPP - Shuttleworth Collection - Old Warden Aerodrome by Nick Thompson, on Flickr

ImageDe Havilland DH.89A Dragon Rapide - G-AHAG - Scillonia Airways - Membury Airfield by Nick Thompson, on Flickr

Second up for me in June was a new location, Weston-Super-mare with the main goal of catching the unique Flying Bulls Sycamore. Also managed to photograph the Danish Fennec that made the 7.5 hour journey over 2 days to support the show.

ImageEurocopter AS550 Fennec - P-352 - Esk 724 - Royal Danish Air Force - Karup AB by Nick Thompson, on Flickr

ImageBristol 171 Sycamore HR.52 - XG545 (OE-XSY) - Red Bull Flying Bulls by Nick Thompson, on Flickr

ImageBristol 171 Sycamore HR.52 - XG545 (OE-XSY) - Red Bull Flying Bulls by Nick Thompson, on Flickr

ImageMBB Bo-105CB-4 - D-HTDM - Red Bull Flying Bulls by Nick Thompson, on Flickr

ImageWestland Whirlwind HAR10 - XJ729 (G-BVGE) - Private by Nick Thompson, on Flickr

Finally the last day of June and a scorcher at what was once my local aerodrome, Headcorn. A beautiful location in the heart of the Kent countryside, the show gathered a small but strong line-up of warbirds to accompany the Aero Legends home side. Stand out of the visitors being the Battle of Britain Memorial Flight's Spitfire MK356 in it's stunning desert colour scheme. A shame to see once again the contrast this show had to the inaugural edition in 2015, the display flying was mainly high and distant with a sole Texan and the BBMF Spitfire performing topsides close, but still a considerably distant compared to those seen at the 2015 show. I believe display distances had even increased from last year. Had the Buchon been flown to the 2015 display lines it would be regarded as a as the best warbird display seen in recent times, it was that good! No aerobatics here just fast sweeping topsides throughout, just a shame it was so distant. All in all Headcorn may have lost some what of its appeal due to display distance but in terms of intimacy with warbirds it still is a superb airshow venue.

ImageSupermarine Spitfire Mk.Vb - BM597 (G-MKVB) - Historic Aircraft Collection Ltd - IWM Duxford by Nick Thompson, on Flickr

ImageHawker Hurricane Mk. XIIa - P3700 (G-HURI) - Historic Aircraft Collection - IWM Duxford by Nick Thompson, on Flickr

ImageSupermarine Spitfire Mk.LFIXe - MK356 - BBMF - Royal Air Force - RAF Coningsby by Nick Thompson, on Flickr

ImageSupermarine Spitfire Mk.LFIXe - MK356 - BBMF - Royal Air Force - RAF Coningsby by Nick Thompson, on Flickr

ImageDouglas C-47A Skytrain - 42-100882/ 3X-P (N473DC) - Aero Legends by Nick Thompson, on Flickr

ImageNorth American T-6G Harvard 4 - 28521/TA-521 (G-TVIJ) - Private by Nick Thompson, on Flickr

ImageDe Havilland DH104 Devon - VP981 G-DHDV - Private by Nick Thompson, on Flickr

Thanks for looking, I hope you like them,

Nick
Canon 7D Mark II - Canon 100-400mm F/4-5.6L IS USM Mk.II
Flickr

jonny7

Re: June Airshow Catch-Up - Fly Navy, Weston & Headcorn

Post by jonny7 »

Some stunning shots in there, and good colour saturation to go with them... :clap:
Don't say something crass, to hide your envy. Just give credit, when its applicable...

dreamworker

Re: June Airshow Catch-Up - Fly Navy, Weston & Headcorn

Post by dreamworker »

Lovely images .....both technically and aesthetically. Love the desert Spit T/0 at Headcorn.