86th Airbase OpenDay-Typhoon Mig 21 flypast - but tragic end

86th Airbase OpenDay-Typhoon Mig 21 flypast - but tragic end

Postby dcm737 on Sun 08 Jul 2018, 6:22 pm

Dear All

Yesterday I attended the Romanian Air Force 86th Airbase Open Day airshow. The airbase is around 120km east of Bucharest in the middle of the fields close to the Danube - its name is Borcea airbase from the name of the local village. It is now home to the 53rd Sq - the first Romanian F16 squadron, and has been in the past 50 years one of the fighter jet (mostly Mig21) breeding grounds for Romanian military pilots. Unfortunately also the place of many tragedies as we sadly experienced yesterday.
I will post a few optimistic pictures here:

It was the first time we have seen publicly the Romanian F16 and the Mig21 Lancer flypasts together in formation:

The highlight of the show - until that moment.... was the much anticipated RAF Typhoon and Mig 21 flypast. I believe quite an unique event. The RAF Typhoons are supporting an enhanced NATO Air Policing engagement for the eastern area - Black Sea. The aircraft are based on the Mihail Kogalniceanu airbase (MK) close to Constanta on the Black Sea (60 km east from Borcea). The Typhoons have been training together with the Romanian Air Force for a few weeks now and have been based in Romania also last year.

One picture of the Puma flying display

Unfortunately nothing will change the memory of how this airshow ended. You may have heard by now that yesterday during a tactical exercise demo at the airshow one Mig 21 Lancer C - single seater crashed in a huge fireball just outside the airbase - in front our our eyes. It happened quite fast and unexpectedly - I was in the spotters area and we were all watching and hoped until the end in a recovery or an ejection. For at least one hour there were rumours of an ejection - even if we did not see any chute deploying. Unfortunately the pilot perished in the accident - his name Lieutenant Commander Florin Rotaru- he was 36 married and father of two. Obviously the event ended there. There is huge shock and sadness in the Romanian aviation community and as expected the participation in RIAT is cancelled....
When you experience something like this live you start to see things from a different perspective. We go to airshows to have a good time, and get that one perfect shot. Sometimes it is easy to ignore that there are people flying those machines - we even sometimes complain that they fly too high, to distant or do not push the planes to the maximum. Aviation is extremely safe but still far from the Zero accident dream.
Of course I will not post any picture of the crash. We spoke among the spotters that we should not do such thing - but unfortunately a lot of the spectators did - there are even movies of the crash all over the internet.. difficult to stop such things when everybody has now a camera on the phone and a huge attraction to post something newsworthy.....
In turn I will post a picture of a Mig21 Lancer from a different event - flying towards the big sky... remembering our heroes

dcm737

Re: 86th Airbase OpenDay-Typhoon Mig 21 flypast - but tragic

Postby DOUGHNUT on Mon 09 Jul 2018, 2:36 pm

dcm737
"When you experience something like this live you start to see things from a different perspective. We go to airshows to have a good time, and get that one perfect shot. Sometimes it is easy to ignore that there are people flying those machines - we even sometimes complain that they fly too high, to distant or do not push the planes to the maximum. Aviation is extremely safe but still far from the Zero accident dream.
Of course I will not post any picture of the crash. We spoke among the spotters that we should not do such thing - but unfortunately a lot of the spectators did - there are even movies of the crash all over the internet.. difficult to stop such things when everybody has now a camera on the phone and a huge attraction to post something newsworthy....."

well said sir, sorry for your countries loss.
Paul
DOUGHNUT

Postby G-CVIX on Wed 11 Jul 2018, 7:55 pm

Worded excellently my friend, certainly puts things in perspective.
G-CVIX

Postby AlexC on Fri 13 Jul 2018, 3:22 pm

I've been unfortunate to witness several accidents at airshows including two at Farnborough and one at Yeovilton, plus the two Mig's at Fairford where thankfully both pilot's survived. Always left feeling numb and helpless.
Pte. Aubrey Gerald Harmer, R. Suss. R. (att. to the Sherwood Foresters) KIA 26/9/1917 Polygon Wood, aged 19, NKG. RIP
AlexC

Postby lambo17841 on Sat 14 Jul 2018, 9:04 am

Something you never forget,sadly I to have seen a number of crashes and still can see the flames from the Shoreham crash and the stunned silence in the crowd then the shout of hats off in respect.Nobody could guess how bad it turned out to be for those poor people on the road.

John in Seaford
lambo17841

Postby dcm737 on Tue 17 Jul 2018, 8:13 am

Thank you all for your messages - it means a lot.
dcm737

Return to Airshow Photos