Hypothermia and Sunburn at Biggin UPDATED

Airshow Photography from the UK and around the world
amisbk196

Hypothermia and Sunburn at Biggin UPDATED

Post by amisbk196 »

Sunday didn’t start too promisingly with a strong gusty wind, drizzle and a low cloud base. The thought of a thinnish participant list getting thinner with acts either cancelling or holding for the weather to improve added to the gloom. Spirits were not lifted when the Reds departed for Eastbourne only for them to return after cancelling their display there. However, for once the weather Gods were smiling and the promised slow improvement happened, although those familiar with Biggin will know that this means later in the day the sun is more in front of the crowd line. The only weather casualty, that I recall, were the Great War team who stayed on the ground at Redhill.

The acts that did appear, particularly the early ones, made a mockery of the difficult conditions, and warrant pats on the back all round. Highlights for me were the Pitts Special which gave a powerful and controlled display, the Fury in it’s prototype scheme and the usual crisp display from the Bronco. The Hardest Day scenario was well choreographed starting with a training duo of a Tiger Moth and Jungmann followed by the Blenheim and a pair of Hurricanes. Anyone taking a snooze would surely have been woken by some very loud pyrotechnics which heralded some strafing runs by a single Buchon. it was soon overwhelmed by Spitfires that proceeded to tail chase around the Kent skies. The Spitfires included a couple of two seaters, which I know to some are a bit ‘marmite’ to some, but it was nice to see MT818 in a rare display appearance.

After the always crowd pleasing Red Arrows, the show concluded with Sally B, followed by a traditional Biggin closing act of a solo Spitfire display from BHHF resident TA805, which in a nice touch was dedicated to Tom Neil, Geoff Wellum and Mary Ellis. This was followed by a single Typhoon flypast to actually end the display.

Even though it turned into an enjoyable day, there were some negatives. After the traffic problems of the first Festival of Flight, it seemed that lessons were learnt in subsequent years. However, having the Red Arrows late in the flying programme, closing the show ground only 20 minutes after the final act and traffic control appearing to consist of just a row of cones there was nothing to protect people from their own selfish stupidity. Chaos ensued as people ignored any queues that had already formed to start a new queue, the end result was about 20 queues trying to get to 2 exit gates. I was happy to sit in the now warm sunshine and watch the fun and left when the queues finally cleared at about 7pm. I understand that shows have to close at some point, but it felt like as soon as 5.30 came the paying public became an inconvenience. Surely keeping the show ground open for another hour gives the traders a chance to make some more money and to relieve some of the pressure on the exits.

ImageG-EWIZ Pitts S-2S Special by amisbk196, on Flickr

ImageIMG_4158.jpg by amisbk196, on Flickr

ImageG-ARGZ Druine D31 Turbulent by amisbk196, on Flickr

ImageIMG_4177.jpg by amisbk196, on Flickr

ImageIMG_4246.jpg by amisbk196, on Flickr

ImageIMG_4295.jpg by amisbk196, on Flickr

ImageIMG_4356.jpg by amisbk196, on Flickr

ImageIMG_4380.jpg by amisbk196, on Flickr

ImageIMG_4397.jpg by amisbk196, on Flickr

ImageIMG_4406.jpg by amisbk196, on Flickr

ImageIMG_4472.jpg by amisbk196, on Flickr

ImageIMG_4510.jpg by amisbk196, on Flickr

ImageIMG_4528.jpg by amisbk196, on Flickr

ImageIMG_4570.jpg by amisbk196, on Flickr

ImageIMG_4614.jpg by amisbk196, on Flickr

ImageIMG_4691.jpg by amisbk196, on Flickr

ImageIMG_4715.jpg by amisbk196, on Flickr

ImageIMG_4717.jpg by amisbk196, on Flickr

ImageIMG_4721.jpg by amisbk196, on Flickr

ImageIMG_4116.jpg by amisbk196, on Flickr

ImageIMG_4163.jpg by amisbk196, on Flickr

ImageIMG_4337.jpg by amisbk196, on Flickr

ImageIMG_4345.jpg by amisbk196, on Flickr

ImageIMG_4417.jpg by amisbk196, on Flickr

ImageIMG_4422.jpg by amisbk196, on Flickr

ImageIMG_4666.jpg by amisbk196, on Flickr

ImageIMG_4369.jpg by amisbk196, on Flickr

ImageIMG_4407-Edit.jpg by amisbk196, on Flickr

ImageIMG_4638-Edit.jpg by amisbk196, on Flickr
Last edited by amisbk196 on Wed 22 Aug 2018, 10:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Stagger2

Re: Hypothermia and Sunburn at Biggin

Post by Stagger2 »

Having seen some other posts which resemble an Aircraft Recognition book of silhouettes, you have wrung some colour out of these. Naturally the skies whiten for this exercise, but you have a good set to show for your effort. :up:

Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

Thanks for an enjoyable report. Like the black and white images especially.

AlexC

Post by AlexC »

amisbk196 wrote:Chaos ensued as people ignored any queues that had already formed to start a new queue, the end result was about 20 queues trying to get to 2 exit gates.

Just what is it with Biggin Hill airshows? I could have written the above word for word to describe those held there in the early 1980's before I moved away from Kent. It seems that the people who should have been directing the departing traffic just cleared off and left the public to get on with it themselves just as I remember happening all those years ago. They certainly sound as if they haven't learnt anything in all the years in between!
Pte. Aubrey Gerald Harmer, R. Suss. R. (att. to the Sherwood Foresters) KIA 26/9/1917 Polygon Wood, aged 19, NKG. RIP

amisbk196

Post by amisbk196 »

AlexC wrote:
amisbk196 wrote:Chaos ensued as people ignored any queues that had already formed to start a new queue, the end result was about 20 queues trying to get to 2 exit gates.

Just what is it with Biggin Hill airshows? I could have written the above word for word to describe those held there in the early 1980's before I moved away from Kent. It seems that the people who should have been directing the departing traffic just cleared off and left the public to get on with it themselves just as I remember happening all those years ago. They certainly sound as if they haven't learnt anything in all the years in between!

In the 80's I was probably on the bus so wouldn't have noticed the queues, but I don't remember problems getting in or out of Biggin in the Air Fair days, although these I days I sometimes struggle to remember what I had for lunch!

A few more from me......

Not the best picture, but just realised this may have been the last Peter Tiechman display I will get to see

ImagePL965/G-MKXI Supermarine Spitfire Mk PRXI by amisbk196, on Flickr

ImageG-PMNF/TA805 Spitfire Mk HF IX by amisbk196, on Flickr

ImageIMG_8311.jpg by amisbk196, on Flickr

ImageG-CBEL/SR661 Hawker Sea Fury FB11 by amisbk196, on Flickr

ImageIMG_8319-Edit.jpg by amisbk196, on Flickr

ImageIMG_8314-Edit.jpg by amisbk196, on Flickr

ImageIMG_4713.jpg by amisbk196, on Flickr

ImageIMG_4343.jpg by amisbk196, on Flickr

AlexC

Re: Hypothermia and Sunburn at Biggin UPDATED

Post by AlexC »

What on earth is he doing??!
Pte. Aubrey Gerald Harmer, R. Suss. R. (att. to the Sherwood Foresters) KIA 26/9/1917 Polygon Wood, aged 19, NKG. RIP