Screechy @ Axalp for the 2nd time

Airshow Photography from the UK and around the world
Screechy

Screechy @ Axalp for the 2nd time

Post by Screechy »

I hit Axalp for only the second time last week with the promise of decent weather, so in tow with fellow UKARers Zigzag and Dr Cake we hit the slopes at stupid o'clock to make our way up mountain after mountain in the pursuit of something special.

1. Down at Meiringen on the not so sunny day

2. Always photogenic at the base, angles everywhere

3. Plenty of Super Puma activity so you get chance to experiment with some slower shutter speeds 1/30 here

4. Missed the morning flight due to a combination of fatigue and MP's moving us on so had to wait until the afternoon to see the boys

5. Well all need to vent at times

6. Always the more aggressive flying came from this chap, always the lowest, always the more adrenaline pumping

7. And back home again

8.Up at Wildgarst, and quite a trek it is although i found it harder going down than up. Next time - take walking poles

9. The naughtiest of naughty hills

10. A totally different angle on proceedings

11. Up and over and mind your head!

12. PC21 and one of it's 3 passes just for the boys ( and girls ) up on Wildgarst

13. The F5's were trickier to catch at Wildgarst

14. So many flares released over the 3 days we were up the mountains

15. That'll be just the 12 F5's then

16. Up at the tower, helo action

17. And a few more flares for good measure

18. And on to the shooting

19. Which is what it's all about really.. bullet trails spiralling out

20. The closest set of targets to the tower being peppered

21. Pulling up and out after a gun run

22. Pulling through as a pair

23. Another illusive F5's, tricky to pick up in the terrain

24. The F5's appeared to arrive back on target much quicker than the F18's often taking us by surprise

25. The sun was so bright that from the tower that photography was very tricky, lots of focusing issues were had

26. The Patrouille Swiss always look at their best on home soil

27. Makes a change from the adverts in the background at Fairford!

28. Turning and burning

29. 4 go mad in the mountains

30. Then there was THAT pass on Monday

31. The closest, vapour pulling, flare pumping, afterburning knife edge pass i have ever witnessed.. a mic drop moment

Probably a few too many pictures, but it was a hell of a trip

Talldan76
UKAR Staff

Re: Screechy @ Axalp for the 2nd time

Post by Talldan76 »

Cracking shots, but those last two... wow!

Agg
UKAR Staff

Post by Agg »

Very nice, Steve! Maybe next year will finally be the year that I manage to get around to doing Axalp :lol:

How long did it take you to get to the top of Wildgärst?

Screechy

Post by Screechy »

We went the long way around the back, cannot remember the name but it was long and began with S, but it took me 4 hours 50 mins, a lot of which was in pitch black. I actually didn't find it that bad up. I found it more uncomfortable coming down, probably because of earlier fatigue but also found it impacted my knees and toes a lot more than on the way up, on the way up it's just a question of getting your breath back etc

Dr Cake

Post by Dr Cake »

Great set Steve and super fast turnaround! It will be a while before you see anything from me. I love the Hornet line up at base that we didn't get and the last 2 really 'capture the moment' well. The place name is Schwarzwaldalp. Great effort to get up there in that time.

Screechy

Post by Screechy »

Dr Cake wrote:Great set Steve and super fast turnaround! It will be a while before you see anything from me. I love the Hornet line up at base that we didn't get and the last 2 really 'capture the moment' well. The place name is Schwarzwaldalp. Great effort to get up there in that time.

Cheers Rich, downloaded Friday, took the weekend to pic out my faves and then worked them up a little today to get them up on here. And Mate, your effort to get up there when you'd been left for dead, spread eagled on the rocks, distributing the previous nights pizza was far more heroic!

Dr Cake

Post by Dr Cake »

Screechy wrote:Cheers Rich, downloaded Friday, took the weekend to pic out my faves and then worked them up a little today to get them up on here. And Mate, your effort to get up there when you'd been left for dead, spread eagled on the rocks, distributing the previous nights pizza was far more heroic!

I wasn't going to mention Andy's driving, but you've just reminded me...... As a dire passenger, I'm driving up next time.... :grin:

I've had a quick look through my efforts - in all honesty a bit better than I dared expect. It'll take me ages to deal with them although I'm going to start before Yeovilton and RIAT. It could be a busy autumn/winter. :dizzy:

zigzag

Post by zigzag »

Ive been waiting for these, epic pictures of an epic trip :rock:

THAT :yahoo: pass quite simply stunning, one of my all time favourite moments

Heroic efforts from all, 3am in a pitch black car park with a 5,000' climb ahead of us wasnt the most pleasant place to be, especually after my driving through all those hairpins :sick:
If you like these pics there are more utterly brilliant shots at https://www.flickr.com/photos/131094099@N08/albums
#MOT

BDL

Post by BDL »

Steve, good to meet you last week, you know I said that's it never again...nah - 2020!

Cracking set of photos (mine are absolute pants from up the mountain) my ears are still ringing from that Bug departure!

Screechy

Post by Screechy »

Ahhh good meeting you Dave, Clowns aside, top man :lol: Yeah those bugs did rip it somewhat.. top trip.. will be back

st24

Post by st24 »

Very nice, that F-5 formation is a bit tasty and some great action. Nice to hear that Dr "Bear Grylls" Cake was on usual form!! :sick:
You caaan't trust the system... Maaan!

jalfrezi
UKAR Staff

Post by jalfrezi »

Lovely stuff, enjoyed looking through your shots. :up:

Sussexlad

Post by Sussexlad »

Nice shots Mate, obviously worth the trip :up:

Hope your wallet was more secure than in Poland! :lol:
https://tim-beach-photography.weebly.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Screechy

Post by Screechy »

Sussexlad wrote:Nice shots Mate, obviously worth the trip :up:

Hope your wallet was more secure than in Poland! :lol:

Cheers Tim, yes i can actually remember all of this trip, no memory loss evenings... or as far as i can recall :dizzy: not quite as Milfy as the last trip

Skyflash
UKAR Staff

Post by Skyflash »

Wonderful set - was feeling a bit :sick: myself after viewing them, though purely for reasons of jealousy!

I absolutely WILL make it out there with you all one of these years...
Posting comments on an aviation-related chatroom, are ya? Looks like it an' all...

Screechy

Post by Screechy »

It was a good weather year which helped although too good at times as the sun really played havoc with the focussing at times, especially with the flares being pumped out down in the valley. Think if I do Wildgarst again then i'd like to go with something a bit more than my 100-400 to get those landlocked shots as they scream up towards you. It's not that the 100-400 wasn't doing the business but for the variety in shot a bit more in my lens locker would have paid dividends.. that and taking some walking poles!