Antique Aeroplane Association of Australia national fly-in.

Airshow Photography from the UK and around the world
GeorgeP

Antique Aeroplane Association of Australia national fly-in.

Post by GeorgeP »

G'day all, the annual fly-in has come and gone with another outstanding range of aircraft in attendance. The event, staged at Echuca aerodrome in northern Victoria, was a celebration of the 80th anniversary of the Auster. About two dozen Austers attended along with many other antique and warbird types. Even a few homebuilts made the journey. I've added a few images which give an indication of the range of aircraft types that attended. IMO, best three on the field were: a 1929 J-1 Robin, a 1927 Widgeon and a wee L-4 Grasshopper that I didn't manage to photograph in the air. Hope you like 'em and thanks for taking a look.

ImageCadet VH-AGH by GP1961, on Flickr

ImageKaydet VH-PUD by GP1961, on Flickr

ImageJ5F Aiglet VH-BYF by GP1961, on Flickr

ImageST3-KR Recruit VH-RPT by GP1961, on Flickr

ImageWidgeon VH-UGI by GP1961, on Flickr

ImageJ-1 Robin VH-JUV by GP1961, on Flickr

ImageJ5 Auster VH-ATS by GP1961, on Flickr

ImageC140 VH-MMG by GP1961, on Flickr

ImageWirraway VH-BFF by GP1961, on Flickr

ImageJ-1N Alpha VH-PCY by GP1961, on Flickr

ImageDHC-1 Mk T20 VH-CPI by GP1961, on Flickr

ImagePL-12 Airtruk VH-TRT by GP1961, on Flickr

ImageC190 VH-AAL by GP1961, on Flickr
Cheers,

George

Melbourne, Australia.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/30699732@N05/albums

farnboroughrob

Re: Antique Aeroplane Association of Australia national fly-

Post by farnboroughrob »

Lovely set, Great that the Westland Widgeon is still flying, never even seen one, or a Airtruk for that matter. :rock:

Slinger65

Post by Slinger65 »

Oh come on, it's April 1, clearly that Airtruk's not a <real> aeroplane.... :lmao:
Slinger65

Panasonic Lumix FZ1000

DOUGHNUT

Post by DOUGHNUT »

OK you may think I am a day later (ie 2nd April) but how much would it cost to ship over the Cadet and Widgeon to UK and fly with the Shuttleworth collection for a season ?
Duxford Flying Legends happily receive aircraft from USA for a single weekend of flying and they return to the USA.
Whilst I understand they are not my aeroplanes their owners must be enthusiasts and maybe would enjoy the opportunity ?
Would there be enough flying events in Australia to allow a Shuttleworth aircraft to do a similar tour ? Demon would be appropriate as Australia operated them.
I would suggest the DH88 Comet but expect the transport issues to be a greater problem.

Mike

Post by Mike »

There's already a perfectly airworthy Cadet (that is not currently flown) in Ireland, and a Widgeon under rebuild in the UK.

Daz

Post by Daz »

Slinger65 wrote:Oh come on, it's April 1, clearly that Airtruk's not a <real> aeroplane.... :lmao:

Actually the Airtruk is real https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transavia_PL-12_Airtruk
Proud Grandson of an Avro Shackleton "boy"

GeorgeP

Post by GeorgeP »

Slinger65 wrote:Oh come on, it's April 1, clearly that Airtruk's not a <real> aeroplane.... :lmao:

April 1st, or not, it <is> an aeroplane but, admittedly, one that only its mother could love. :wink: :smile:

DOUGHNUT wrote:OK you may think I am a day later (ie 2nd April) but how much would it cost to ship over the Cadet and Widgeon to UK and fly with the Shuttleworth collection for a season ?
Whilst I understand they are not my aeroplanes their owners must be enthusiasts and maybe would enjoy the opportunity ?
Would there be enough flying events in Australia to allow a Shuttleworth aircraft to do a similar tour ? Demon would be appropriate as Australia operated them.
I would suggest the DH88 Comet but expect the transport issues to be a greater problem.

A very good suggestion that would see aeroplanes (normally inactive during their home country's winter) enjoyed by enthusiasts in the other hemisphere. I can see a few problems : time available for winter maintenance/repairs, cost of transport, insurance. Sadly, as good as your ideas are, we may not have the number of shows that would justify the costs of transport. However, the Kiwis do bring a few UK- and Europe-based aircraft for Warbirds Over Wanaka every two years, so perhaps it is possible...

... and many thanks to those who viewed and commented. Next show is Oshkosh. :yahoo:
Cheers,

George

Melbourne, Australia.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/30699732@N05/albums