Old Warden Evening Airshow 18 may

Airshow Photography from the UK and around the world
johnr

Old Warden Evening Airshow 18 may

Post by johnr »

Well the flying was excellent and the weather was good for flying but no so for photography as it was grey all day with just a few shafts of sunlight in the evening. Flying went on until after 9pm which made photgraphy of the Edwardians challenging, to say the least as it nearly dark when they flew.

As if that wasn't enough it was the first time out with my new camera - one of those that needs some sort of qualification to operate.

However the Bleriot and Deperdussin flew, something I have not seen for some years.

The day started with a couple of passes by a BBMF Spitfire

Then we had the Lysander pair. The ARCO one was making its first public appearance. For some reason they couldn't seem to synchronise the bank angles

Lysander departing

Next a Hurricane leading three Spitfires

Shuttleworth Sea Hurricane

Mark 1

Mark V

Mark 1X

Miles Magister and Avro Tutor

The Eon Primary glider

The Fauvel AV36 glider was supposed to be fitted with smoke generators on the wingtips but these did not function - no explanation as to why not.

There was a three ship formation of the Comet, Mew Gull and Hawk Speed Six but ,alas, no decent photos but here is the Speed Six taking off

The show ended with the Edwardians. The blueish haze in the background was caused by the smoke left by the previous act, an Extra 300, that lingered long enough to make us wonder if the old timers would be able to see enough to make their runs

Bristol Boxkite

Blackburn Monoplane

Bleriot

Deperdussin - by now it was VERY dark - the camera said ISO 12000!

Hope this wasn't too many

John

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Re: Old Warden Evening Airshow 18 may

Post by LN Strike Eagle »

I've said it before and no doubt I'll say it again, but they need to start these shows an hour earlier. What's the point of an airshow when you can barely see what's going on?
"You really are an oafish philistine at times!"

AlexC

Post by AlexC »

LN Strike Eagle wrote:I've said it before and no doubt I'll say it again, but they need to start these shows an hour earlier. What's the point of an airshow when you can barely see what's going on?

I totally agree, even earlier perhaps, say around 12.30.
Pte. Aubrey Gerald Harmer, R. Suss. R. (att. to the Sherwood Foresters) KIA 26/9/1917 Polygon Wood, aged 19, NKG. RIP

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Post by LN Strike Eagle »

AlexC wrote:
LN Strike Eagle wrote:I've said it before and no doubt I'll say it again, but they need to start these shows an hour earlier. What's the point of an airshow when you can barely see what's going on?

I totally agree, even earlier perhaps, say around 12.30.

If you start it at 12:30, it ceases to be an evening show! :grin:
"You really are an oafish philistine at times!"

Stagger2

Post by Stagger2 »

And there you have it! The unpredictable weather in the UK can scupper a daytime air-show making it a 'night-shoot' in photographic terms. Naturally everybody dreams of the 'Golden-hour' with shafts of silvered light on elliptical wings.....but "BANG" reality strikes & what you get is the final acts flying in barely VFR due to darkness & mist.
It was just like that at the olden Prom's Nights at Middle Wallop. Oh how we loved the Iconic sound of the Merlin & green/Red lights cartwheeling overhead....Not!
Always the coldest darkest night of the Summer with people falling around in the dark trying to find their cars in an ocean of blackness....stooopid! :facepalm:
PS:- I don't do night-shoots or Evening Air-shows. :wink: