Nevada Air Guard

Nevada Air Guard

Postby agdickie on Thu 13 May 2010, 2:00 am

Have had these sitting unedited and gathering dust in my computer for the last 9 months so thought I'd bring them out and give them an airing. As part of my wee tour of America I visited units of the Nevada Air Guard, starting off with the Hercules' of the 152nd AW at Reno-Tahoe Airport.

The High Rollers are a rather unique Hercules operator as for 15 years they have had a dedicated ISR role, initially ISR only with PACER COIN and then a dual airdrop/ISR capability with SCATHE VIEW. This means that their aircraft can fly basic air transport missions or ISR missions or both at the same time, if there is space for the mission pallet. The High Rollers' decade and a half of experience in the field is no doubt why they're the ones training up the MC-12W crews of PROJECT LIBERTY. Thought I'd give you a bit of background info as it's quite interesting, at least I thought so - was tempted to write an article but it's a pest to find out about PACER COIN, at least with any degree of depth.

Anyhow, on with the pics...

This particular aircraft went up on a PROJECT LIBERTY mission while we were on base.

After that it was a quick trip up the road to Reno-Stead where the army are based, however being the home to support helicopters meant it was quiet due to the majority of their 'frames being deployed, leaving three Chinooks and no Blackhawks per se while we were there.

I say 'per se' as there was this luverly Firehawk. A huge thank you must go out to our hosts as knowing that we wanted to photograph her she waited to land until we'd come from the canteen with our 'sodas' :clap:

And no sooner was she down she was getting fuelled up for her next flight.

Of note was the fact that these shots were taken during the big wildfires south of the state line, although this helicopter hadn't been required. As one aviator in the canteen joked when this was mentioned: "California can burn" :grin:

Hope you liked, and could put up with my ramblings :lol: :pinkwafer:
Agdickie on Airliners.net
Hey jet pilots! Do a barrell roll!
agdickie
UKAR Staff

Re: Nevada Air Guard

Postby Hellfire on Thu 13 May 2010, 3:06 pm

Nice set, really like the multiple herc head on shots. :rock:
Hellfire

Postby McG on Thu 13 May 2010, 6:33 pm

Nice set. I'm still trying to get mine edited, however a few from that day are on A.net.
McG

Postby LN Strike Eagle on Thu 13 May 2010, 7:02 pm

Really nice set here Andy - lovely and crisp, and well executed. 3, 4 and 6 are my personal favourites.
"You really are an oafish philistine at times!"
LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Postby RickIngham on Thu 13 May 2010, 7:05 pm

Wow what a set!! :worship: Great subjects, nice light and sharp too...
RickIngham

Postby AndyBeau on Thu 13 May 2010, 7:52 pm

You took your time! :grin:

A nice set of shots mate. You even caught me hiding from the sun. :sweat:

I haven't even looked at mine properly yet. I'll get around to it one day!

That was a cracking couple of days. :rock:
AndyBeau

Postby monteste on Mon 17 May 2010, 9:38 am

Great photos, specially the black hawk!
Italian military aviation photo report web site
http://www.aviation-report.com
monteste

Postby T_J on Thu 20 May 2010, 4:18 pm

Really nice, Andy. Well worth the wait!

:clap: :clap: